Warlick focused on team, not herself

You take our present mix, with the incoming talent .... we have the horses to run Geno into the ground.

Even with our talent, Holly would have to coach the game of her life against Geno to win. I agree I believe we out talent them at every position but I think their players have better team chemistry and heart. And Geno.

I hate to fall back on the injury excuses..... and here is another one.... I hear "Tea being out has crippled us" or "Diamond really has not been 100%"... to which I would say.... well then have a bench such that you go to your #2 PG (which i know we do not have) ... and if DD isn't 100% then sit her out ... why play an injured player?

No excuses from Dawn or Muffet coming down the stretch having lost their stud players due to injury.... Injuries are part of the game..... everyone has them.... we need to concentrate on playing basketball and not giving cover to our coaching staff.....

Are injuries the cause of our losses last year to Penn State, Mississippi, Va Tech, Alabama (twice), etc etc....
They both lost those players at the end of the year, we lost ours from the start. It did end up costing Muffet. It helped Dawn.

Reactions: 1 person
Sisaq

I don't agree with Holly most of the time, I think she has done a poor job especially the past 2 seasons. I've bashed her here and called for her head more than once.

What good has it done? Made me look bad, hurt others feelings, caused trouble, probably caused potential recruits to rethink.

I think it is time to lay off the negative postings. Let time go by as it always does and let Holly rise or fall on her own energy, not the negative hate that flows around here 24/7

my $0.02

Gule! Next thing you know you'll join the Positive Lady Vols Facebook Group. Oh, wait... lol. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: 2 people
bored1.gif
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you call 665k half of what her peers make then you are wrong. The problem with these so called rhetorical questions is that she never can solve them. She is not a good head coach, why can't you get it. The UT Lady Vols basketball job is a top echelon position. A position that should belong to a premier established coach.

I'm not wrong. Geno, Muffet, Dawn, Kim, Brenda, Matthew, etc., each make over $1 Million...

My point is that all things considered, HW does solve these questions well enough. You seem to forget our SEC championships and 29-win seasons, and multiple E8 finishes. And top recruiting. And 100% graduation rate. And players love her. And the fact that she's a lifetime Vol and Tennessean. And...And...

Barring sustained meltdown, HW is our coach. TN is not going to pay $2 Million to get any of the proven coaches to leave their established, successful program. And other less proven coaches are more of a crap shoot than we have now. (See past decade of TN football and MBB!)

I'm not an idiot - not saying she's the best coach in the world. But she's our coach, and a bunch of chat room experts are not gonna change that with incessant personal attacks and cries for termination.

*insert Rodney King quote here*

I'm not wrong. Geno, Muffet, Dawn, Kim, Brenda, Matthew, etc., each make over $1 Million...

My point is that all things considered, HW does solve these questions well enough. You seem to forget our SEC championships and 29-win seasons, and multiple E8 finishes. And top recruiting. And 100% graduation rate. And players love her. And the fact that she's a lifetime Vol and Tennessean. And...And...

Barring sustained meltdown, HW is our coach. TN is not going to pay $2 Million to get any of the proven coaches to leave their established, successful program. And other less proven coaches are more of a crap shoot than we have now. (See past decade of TN football and MBB!)

I'm not an idiot - not saying she's the best coach in the world. But she's our coach, and a bunch of chat room experts are not gonna change that with incessant personal attacks and cries for termination.

*insert Rodney King quote here*

who's a proven winner--and there are /many/ such coaches out there. This is about winning games and winning titles--not being a lifetime Vol and Tennessean--good grief. She's a crappy coach--and you don't keep crappy coaches--period. Warlick has accomplished nothing--and 26 losses in the last two seasons with an experienced team. You seem content for the Vols to become an also-ran so long as they have a coach from Tennessee. That's the worst sort of third-rate, small-town thinking.

who's a proven winner--and there are /many/ such coaches out there. This is about winning games and winning titles--not being a lifetime Vol and Tennessean--good grief. She's a crappy coach--and you don't keep crappy coaches--period. Warlick has accomplished nothing--and 26 losses in the last two seasons with an experienced team. You seem content for the Vols to become an also-ran so long as they have a coach from Tennessee. That's the worst sort of third-rate, small-town thinking.

You're a crappy fan. It is amazing how people who have never coached a day think they know what it takes to coach. Your comments are redundant and useless. Just stfu already! Geez!!!

Reactions: 5 people

Armchair.... your words come through... i know you have a lot of blowback, but i support your thinking....Geno is a great coach.... tara is a great coach muffet is a great coach.... our coach tries... but she is not there... E8 finishes with talent she has... well..... the coaching decisions she has made are dubious.... I hope for better.... and want her to do well but i certainly am not going to falsely prop her up....

I'm not 3rd rate or small-town, but I do admire loyalty and pride in college athletics. It's different than pro. I like for players and coaches and fans to stay as long as they can.

Winning is not the only thing that defines a program, although very important. And I think we've done lots of winning under Holly. Last 2 years not been great, we agree. But there were some highlights. And I think we're on the way back.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm not 3rd rate or small-town, but I do admire loyalty and pride in college athletics. It's different than pro. I like for players and coaches and fans to stay as long as they can.

Winning is not the only thing that defines a program, although very important. And I think we've done lots of winning under Holly. Last 2 years not been great, we agree. But there were some highlights. And I think we're on the way back.

Winning

defines a program's relevance.

You're a crappy fan. It is amazing how people who have never coached a day think they know what it takes to coach. Your comments are redundant and useless. Just stfu already! Geez!!!

Mikey, come sit next to me. **pats seat** 😁😉

I do. Collegiate sports in America is more than a little crazy, especially for the men. Hell, I don't think British universities have much in the way of athletics--certainly not to the extent that we do.

Alas, winning matters. Sports help craft the image of universities. Applications go up at colleges that win national titles and do well in sports. Stanford is one of the best universities in America (toughest college to get into --even harder than Harvard) and might be forgiven for having an Ivy League mentality about sports (meaning not THAT important). Yet Stanford has the best overall women's athletic program in America.

UT has benefited immensely from its women's BB program, and from P. Summitt and from players like P. Manning. You can bet that UConn is benefiting from Geno's great success. Loyalty is fine--to a point. You can't stick with a mediocre (or worse) coach just to show loyalty--you'll just turn yourself into a doormat. Even Vanderbilt fires coaches--and regularly. Everybody is always trying to get better--and if you don't, you'll just fall farther and farther behind. We have a great winning tradition--and if you want to maintain a winning tradition you must seek out those with the chops to do it. Great programs should have outstanding coaches--and usually do; one goes with the other. UT long had more national titles than any other college--and I, for one, wanted to maintain that. That's why I--long before anyone else--starting pointing out (and, yea, complaining) about our coaching/playing deficiencies when we were slipping and UConn was coming on like a juggernaut.

You realize that in the future, when the topic of women's collegiate basketball comes up, UConn and Geno will be mentioned before Tennessee? It is what it is, but at the same time, I was an athlete, I have been around sports all my life--and I am competitive. I want us to become a contender again. Talent is important--and so, most definitely, is coaching. I seen her teams, listened to her pressers. We can do better. We'll see what happens this year. Talent will NOT be the issue. If Warlick takes this group and wins a national title, I will be as happy as anyone and the first to congratulate her.

Reactions: 7 people
You know, complaining about her results I can understand. Too many losses? Sure, I get it. But, good grief... she throws out a few questions that every coach asks every year ("team chemistry" is the phrase that gets thrown around to cover those kinds of questions) and gets attacked like this is somehow the mark of a loser. It's not. And all it really meant was, "I'm focused on the team, not my job security."

I agree. No reason to attack those things she's quoted as saying in this thread. Nonetheless, she must know this is the year for this team to meet the high expectations always thought of for a Lady Vols team. It's not just the 4 highly rated recruits​. She's got her best two players back plus at least another who would have started had she not been injured. Plenty of depth and a good mix of experience and youth. No excuses!

VN Store

Back