Warlick focused on team, not herself

I hate to fall back on the injury excuses..... and here is another one.... I hear "Tea being out has crippled us" or "Diamond really has not been 100%"... to which I would say.... well then have a bench such that you go to your #2 PG (which i know we do not have) ... and if DD isn't 100% then sit her out ... why play an injured player?

No excuses from Dawn or Muffet coming down the stretch having lost their stud players due to injury.... Injuries are part of the game..... everyone has them.... we need to concentrate on playing basketball and not giving cover to our coaching staff.....

Are injuries the cause of our losses last year to Penn State, Mississippi, Va Tech, Alabama (twice), etc etc....

I never said the injuries were the end all be all of the problems UT has had. If you read previous post of mine, you'd know that. What I'm saying is you have to take it into account. You say Dawn had to deal with injuries as well which is true, however, no team in America has had the injury troubles UT has period! Losing Jasmine Jones and Andraya Carter before this season hurt their chances as well as Te'a. I guess short memory syndrome is running rampant on here!

Reactions: 2 people
What 5* recruit has Holly had to bring off the bench? Last year they lose Jasmine Jones early in the season, DD was still coming back from her shin injury, MR had sat out an entire year due to foot surgery, Andraya Carter was banged up and the list goes on. This team has endured bad break after bad break and YOU negavols are relentless in your attacks as well. If you don't have anything nice to say how about you do what you mother told you (or should've growing up) and not say anything at all!

Mikey - Don't want to be a negavol.... but i do not want to make excuses either.... last year Tea was out true.... but mercedes said she was 100%. Diamond said she felt fine. We had the roster to at least edge by Penn State Alabama, Alabama again, Mississippi, Va Tech.... and a few others. And we just couldn't beat these fine teams.

Reactions: 4 people
We need to give Holly Warlick one more year. Tennessee has a great bunch of young ladies on the team. Holly has enough depth she could rest injured players. Holly will have the fab five next year with the 4 freshman and Cheridene Green. If Mercedes Russell and Diamond DeShields had not seen something special they would have not came back. Should win the SEC and lose no more than 2 games this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Mikey - Don't want to be a negavol.... but i do not want to make excuses either.... last year Tea was out true.... but mercedes said she was 100%. Diamond said she felt fine. We had the roster to at least edge by Penn State Alabama, Alabama again, Mississippi, Va Tech.... and a few others. And we just couldn't beat these fine teams.

No I get that part and that is where player accountability comes in. We've seen the coaching staff have a game plan for the teams they face. They've been pretty effective in the big games so for the sake of arguing let's say they have a good game plan for the teams you named. If the players don't stick to the plan, it's all for nothing. With a short bench your margin for error is smaller and I don't think the players quite understood that this season.

And then pulled one of the worst coaching blunders in finals history. (And, by the by, he lost to UConn by 60 last year. One win makes up for that much bad? Then why doesn't Holly get the same consideration? How is it that beating Schaeffer's team and the champs doesn't count?)

The issue is not that it does not count when you beat top ten teams, however, consistency, player buyin, players playing up to their potential, ability to make in game changes, on floor leadership and aggressive play also counts. None of those things exist on a continuing bases. It is like a tease where expectations become high only to result into another letdown. The letdown comes against bottom feeder teams with far less talent than the LadyVols. It isn't just disgruntled fans perplexed by the LadyVols inconsistency but also announcers and basketball analyst as well.

Holly has a chance to redeem herself next season with the incoming talent. This team is a top ten talented team. If Holly can't coach consistency next year, it is all on Holly and her staff. Making excuses for Holly by throwing players under the bus is ridiculous. If she can't control her players she lacks the skill set to be a head coach.

Last edited:
Sisaq

I don't agree with Holly most of the time, I think she has done a poor job especially the past 2 seasons. I've bashed her here and called for her head more than once.

What good has it done? Made me look bad, hurt others feelings, caused trouble, probably caused potential recruits to rethink.

I think it is time to lay off the negative postings. Let time go by as it always does and let Holly rise or fall on her own energy, not the negative hate that flows around here 24/7

my $0.02

The team has certainly not dominated the way many fans feel they should have. There are quantifiable reasons for the recent (temporary) decline and most have been posted at one time or another in this forum. Whether one supports the coaching staff or not, I think we can all agree that, as fans, we are not content with the status quo. Whether one believes that injuries, coaching, poor recruiting year(s), or team chemistry are to blame, there is really nothing that can be done about it by fans. Gule brings up a good point....what good has all the negativity done? Even with the consistent Holly bashing done in this forum, she is still the coach and that is not going to change this year. I understand frustration as much as anyone else but what good does venting on a public forum do for these young and impressional ladies? Its no secret that I too would like to see fans lay off with the negative postings and let Holly and the staff determine their own fate. If they win, great. If they lose, then the AD will take corrective action. In the end, all of us want the team to win every game but all we can do is watch and endure the outcome. Fans can issue all the ultimatums they wish but what good does that do since the one issuing the ultimatum is not in a position to make good on it? There are a lot of positive things to focus on so why not put a little effort into thinking positive about the future than worrying about it.

Reactions: 5 people
A lot of parents can't control their own children no matter how hard they try. They may have one kid that is fantastic and another that is trouble from the word go. Are they horrible parents or good parents. The point I'm trying to make is you can't control people as easily as you seem to think. You can coach them and give them the plan, but you can never, ever put that "want to" in the heart consistently unless it's there. We on the outside can just guess at the problem with this team. Nobody knows unless they are in the thick of it. It's pure speculation from everyone here. We know their coached well enough to beat the top teams because they did. The real question is why do they lose to bad teams. Is it poor coaching or lack of want to or fire in the belly? Nobody here knows.

"How can I get this group better", " How can I get this team more focused", " How can we all get on the same page" ?

If a head coach of 5 years, an assistant under CPS for a long time, does not know the answers to all of the above questions by now, she never will. She is not qualified to be head coach of our beloved Lady Vols. Nothing is going to change until CHW is gone. Sorry to always be negative about this subject but it is the truth and you all know it. She makes big money and should be held to a very high standard.

HW's big money is about half the salary of her peers. And these rhetorical questions are focus areas that most every coach works on.

The issue is not that it does not count when you beat top ten teams, however, consistency, player buyin, players playing up to their potential, ability to make in game changes, on floor leadership and aggressive play also counts. None of those things exist on a continuing bases. It is like a tease where expectations become high only to result into another letdown. The letdown comes against bottom feeder teams with far less talent than the LadyVols. It isn't just disgruntled fans perplexed by the LadyVols inconsistency but also announcers and basketball analyst as well.

Holly has a chance to redeem herself next season with the incoming talent. This team is a top ten talented team. If Holly can't coach consistency next year, it is all on Holly and her staff. Making excuses for Holly by throwing players under the bus is ridiculous. If she can't control her players she lacks the skill set to be a head coach.

Would losing be any better to the top 25 teams? At the end of the day a loss is a loss. The thing is people make it out as a bigger deal than it should be. You can't win every game. Teams get better every year and it's like fans like you don't realize that. The women's game is evolving and it is becoming more competitive than it was even 5 years ago.

Can we hire Vic Schaeffer? He can beat UCONN and USC with the LV talent. No doubt about it.

Would rather not. 1) He pulled his best player during national championship game in the 3rd quarter, and she never sees the floor in the 4th. 2) He tries to play his daughter too much. She probably would not even play on a decent NAIA team. 3) People want to throw a fit about Holly not knowing how to coach Russell, but Vic's big girl should dominate anyone she plays based on size alone, and she is just not very good.

His big girl will be much better next year. pulling that stunt with William will forever taint him, I think. And not in a good way.

Grow up, you fiddleheads.

We've had more than enough Holly bashing.

Many here will not agree. They believe if he Holly had been bashed more than enough, she would have this team playing at an acceptable level, or would be kicking rocks. Until one or the other happens, the bashing will continue.

HW's big money is about half the salary of her peers. And these rhetorical questions are focus areas that most every coach works on.

If you call 665k half of what her peers make then you are wrong. The problem with these so called rhetorical questions is that she never can solve them. She is not a good head coach, why can't you get it. The UT Lady Vols basketball job is a top echelon position. A position that should belong to a premier established coach.

Can talent overcome coaching? I don't think Fulmer was the best coach in the world (even though I admit he had a great supporting cast for most years), but he was a great recruiter, and the talent he put on the field could beat most other teams talent. Therefore, making up for average coaching. In comparison, maybe Holly isn't the best coach but if she can pull in enough No. 1 recruiting classes she may out talent other teams at some point.

I hate to fall back on the injury excuses..... and here is another one.... I hear "Tea being out has crippled us" or "Diamond really has not been 100%"... to which I would say.... well then have a bench such that you go to your #2 PG (which i know we do not have) ... and if DD isn't 100% then sit her out ... why play an injured player?

No excuses from Dawn or Muffet coming down the stretch having lost their stud players due to injury.... Injuries are part of the game..... everyone has them.... we need to concentrate on playing basketball and not giving cover to our coaching staff.....

Are injuries the cause of our losses last year to Penn State, Mississippi, Va Tech, Alabama (twice), etc etc....

Exactly!!

Can talent overcome coaching? I don't think Fulmer was the best coach in the world (even though I admit he had a great supporting cast for most years), but he was a great recruiter, and the talent he put on the field could beat most other teams talent. Therefore, making up for average coaching. In comparison, maybe Holly isn't the best coach but if she can pull in enough No. 1 recruiting classes she may out talent other teams at some point.

If a coach doesn't demand certain things and hold all players accountable there will be no discipline. Holly just shakes her head and says "I don't understand why they play this way." She will never be a good head coach. CPF may not have been a great coach but he had his players playing hard for him. Holly doesn't!!!

Warlick was a lame hire, and has proved a lame coach. As a UT grad and fan, I'm embarrassed listening to her lame press conferences. We've had a lame team for the last two years--despite having five top prospects in our starting five. We had some competitive teams in her first three/four years--but our elite 8 performances were pathetic. No toughness, no confidence--weak choke jobs. I don't think even Warlick can keep us from being better next year; the question is, how much better? We ought to win the SEC and play UConn for the national title. Will we? Show me another team that will have more talent than us. I'm not sure even UConn does. Their talent simply plays much better--individually and as a team. It's "just do it" time for HW.

In the small world department, this morning early, I had go to the doctor to have a long long long overdue colonoscopy procedure done. Walked into the waiting room and the 1st person I saw was a Vol fan dressed head to toe in Orange & white. He was talking to the office lady and I didn't have a chance to say anything to him before he was taken to his appt. I'd have liked to know if he was a Volnationer... :)

"How can I get this group better", " How can I get this team more focused", " How can we all get on the same page" ?

If a head coach of 5 years, an assistant under CPS for a long time, does not know the answers to all of the above questions by now, she never will. She is not qualified to be head coach of our beloved Lady Vols. Nothing is going to change until CHW is gone. Sorry to always be negative about this subject but it is the truth and you all know it. She makes big money and should be held to a very high standard.

"Being negative about the subject"

How can you or anyone be otherwise when the results seen describes the "subject" so well?
The only positive lately is the incoming group.
But as you say after 5 YEARS!!! I agree, it's hard to think CHW ever will.

Can we hire Vic Schaeffer? He can beat UCONN and USC with the LV talent. No doubt about it.

about hiring, not so sure, but, yes he could beat most everyone some of the time.(as he is doing)

The one thing I see in him that I like, is an attitude that reminds me of Pat. That is to say, tough, intense, and demanding, also seems to know what he wants and how to get it from his players. (unlike some we know)

You know, complaining about her results I can understand. Too many losses? Sure, I get it. But, good grief... she throws out a few questions that every coach asks every year ("team chemistry" is the phrase that gets thrown around to cover those kinds of questions) and gets attacked like this is somehow the mark of a loser. It's not. And all it really meant was, "I'm focused on the team, not my job security."

Forget coaching, teaching and these type things. For me Holly's problem is her demeanor in front of the camera. TOOO INDESIVE!!!!! Her projection of no confidence and "I just don't know" answers are not in her or the teams best interest. Some time you just have to call out things for what they are. Calling out bad play, ect can get kids attention (some anyway).

Actually, I'm one of those people and I played since the age of 5 and am a current coach. There are many factors that go into the success of a season one being health of your roster. Name one of the five seasons she's had her entire roster available to her?! You look at the games and final scores and reach your conclusions about her and that's fine, but it's not the full story. Here's a question, if your spouse is injured do you think the house work or bills or kids will be taken care of the way you both do it together? Of course not, how is this any different in sports?!

I understand what you are saying. But I think what people notice as much as depleted player numbers, is the lack of production from those left to play. These girls just don't seem to improve much over time, that is to say they don't seem to learn their position demands or how to anticipate on court. I think much of this comes from playing in games, not so much in practice. For me that comes from ones attitude and a coach's projection of same. Holly's seem to fall short.

about hiring, not so sure, but, yes he could beat most everyone some of the time.(as he is doing)

The one thing I see in him that I like, is an attitude that reminds me of Pat. That is to say, tough, intense, and demanding, also seems to know what he wants and how to get it from his players. (unlike some we know)

Really? What was the score of the game we played at Mississippi State?

Sisaq

I don't agree with Holly most of the time, I think she has done a poor job especially the past 2 seasons. I've bashed her here and called for her head more than once.

What good has it done? Made me look bad, hurt others feelings, caused trouble, probably caused potential recruits to rethink.

I think it is time to lay off the negative postings. Let time go by as it always does and let Holly rise or fall on her own energy, not the negative hate that flows around here 24/7

my $0.02

Really hard to do. Other than a few good wins and this incoming class, there is not much to be positive about.
So, what kind of threads about the program and coaching can be put forth? Maybe we should all just ignore the program? Hard to discuss our Lady Vols program's recent performance with much excitement right now.

VN Store

Back