Vols you played with or against growing up

This is a fun question. I sat on the bench as a freshman and watched Steve Spurier and Lonnie Lowe play basketball. We beat them with three seconds on the clock when Wayne Phillips hit one from the deep corner for a walk off win.
Played against Johnny Mills in summer pickup at TA Dugger jr High, if he got a finger on he caught it, not blazing fast but Velcro hands
Ran track against John Ripitoe, Science Hill
You are right about Johnny Mills. We used to throw the football around some in back of my family business when he called on us weekly for a few years. He could also sling it pretty well, and he was probably close to 50 years old then. He told me that he played some qb in high school at Elizabethton.

Playerd a pick up game of ball in Stokely when Heath Shular was a frosh. Craig Faulkner as well. Didn't end well,.....for us. Shular was an incredible athlete.

Bill Bates in High School. Reggie White dunked on me in intramurals at U.T. Intercepted Daryl Dickey in Intramurals the year after the Sugar Bowl. He played for Wild Turkeys. Badminton Championship at U.T. Chris Wampler was my doubles partner.

Reactions: 1 person
Bill Bates called me when I worked at the Ocean Course at Kiawah about getting on the course. He caught me at a bad time and he was pretty arrogant. Not sure how it turned out for him.

I played against Witten my senior year. He was a beast but we beat Elizabethton in our season opener.

Played against Dennis Rogan, had a solo tackle on Anthony Anderson, and even though he went to Notre Dame, I played Harrison Smith. My first year coaching, which was the year after I graduated, we played James Stone in the first round of the playoffs.

Played basketball with Big Joe back when he was in high school. Talk about a gentle giant! Turn into a beast though.

On another note, Cedrick Wilson used to come down and "holla" @ one of my partners, if you know what I mean. He was a great card player too.

I played intramural basketball at UT against Nate Sumpter in the late 70s or early 80s. He was a fireplug. Nice guy.

played with Dale Jones and Chris White at Bradley....also little known LB Wes Rakestraw....for those around Chattanooga, Rakestraw was tougher than a $2 steak...and hammered Tommy "freight-Train" Taylor in playoff game with Chatt. City back in 1981...Taylor went on to sign with UCLA and started as a freshman out there..

Reactions: 1 person
Played against Randy Moss. I know he wasn't a Vol, but I still had to throw that out there because he's the most badass thing I've ever came close to seeing. That team had Moss, Bobby Howard (ND, Chicago Bears), and Jason Williams who played pro basketball. The QB on that team was awesome too. Pretty sure he got shot and killed before graduating HS. Being that Moss could have played pro hoops their basketball team was sick.

Edit: I did play against the Summers kid, Shaun I think? I didn't know much about Oak Ridge football then, their great tradition, etc. I had just moved here. All I know is we whipped their arse. They will forever remember the 93' Morristown West Trojans.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back