Vols you played with or against growing up

This is a fun question. I sat on the bench as a freshman and watched Steve Spurier and Lonnie Lowe play basketball. We beat them with three seconds on the clock when Wayne Phillips hit one from the deep corner for a walk off win.
Played against Johnny Mills in summer pickup at TA Dugger jr High, if he got a finger on he caught it, not blazing fast but Velcro hands
Ran track against John Ripitoe, Science Hill

Vols that i played against curt maggit, michael palardy; non vols played against matt elam (UF), jacoby brisset (UF), nick o leary (FSU), cody riggs (UF), lamarcus joyner (FSU),giovani bernard (UNC), phillip dorset (UM), duron carter (tOSU), Major Wright (UF), James White (WISC), Willie Haulsted (FSU),Jef Luc (FSU),Corey Broomfield (Miss St.), Deon Broomfield (Iowa St.) Plus many others..

I never played against him, but our high school basketball team attended the state tournament in the boro. Hariman was playing in one of the games, whom Jermaine Copeland played for. He went off during the game scoring over 30 with 2 or 3 dunks. He was the best high school basketball player I had watched.

Last edited:
Played against Reggie White and Charles Morgan my Senior yr. They were sophomore's playing for Howard High, I played for Ooltewah where Jacques Smith played.

Reactions: 1 person
I had the pleasure of trying to guard Doug Roth in high school. I was 5'11" and 150 lbs. It didn't turn out good for me.

Reactions: 1 person
With Bubba Miller, Jeremy Spivey

Against Von Reeves, Billy Williams, Mose Phillips- maybe more...

Good Times!

Played with Teddy Gaines and against Jason Witten and Abrayu (spelling?) Franklin.

Last edited:
My little bro played against the great Eric Berry the year after I graduated. I've played against a few UGA players and also against Calvin Johnson. I even knocked Thomas Flowers sideways on a kick return when it was me and him 1 on 1 open field.

Played some backyard ball with Jimmy Colquitt in a South Knoxville neighborhood when I was little. Does that count? Lol

Other than that, my only claim to fame with a Vol is that I played at Morristown West where Little Man played. I was there a few years before him though.

I've known jimmy and his parents since i can remember. He played football with my brother from grass hopper thru high school at Doyle. He would come over and play fball and boom one 3-4 house down to my uncles..I actually just saw few weeks ago at my brothers bday party. Great guy and fam. South Knox rules :hi: oh no one I can remember played D1

Last edited:
Being an older guy, I play a couple of softball games against Danny Spradlin one summer. I doubt that counts, but oh, well.

VN Store

Back