Very interesting statement today by Coach Shoop

Honestly, the only defensive thing that hasn't been a disappointment is Derek Barnett IMO.

Barnett was the only player on UT's defense who knew how to pin a play back inside. So Bama just ran to the right so they wouldn't have to worry about him.

Reactions: 2 people
I am so glad to hear this from one of our coaches, because it means that they know they have a big problem. These players simply were not physically ready for even the first game. Sad thing is that this cannot be fixed for this season. We will have to gut it out and hope to limp home at 10-2 or worse.

But I hope Butch learned a valuable lesson. He probably made this switch because his players liked this new guy better. And that most likely is because the new guy was easier on them. You cannot let the inmates run the asylum. Well, the lack of physical development is partly why this team will fall short of what could have been a magical season.

It just looks to me like Butch took his foot off the gas this off season. Like he was channeling his inner Mack Brown and running a country club. Again, this team has not been prepared to play from Game 1. That is what is most disappointing.

If Butch promoted the new guy because the players liked him then he's less prepared to be a HC than I thought (and I've generally supported him). Some things you shouldn't have to be a HC for 15 years to learn.

He did that how? By going down 21-0 in the blink of an eye?

Debord ended that streak if any ass. coach did.

I'm not calling for Shoop's head by any stretch but you guys are slurping him for no reason.

He did that by only allowing 7 points in the second half, shutting down their run game and forcing Appleby to make poor decisions. It's not his fault our offense couldn't do anything in the first half. You do remember Dobbs threw two interceptions and our receivers seemed to drop every pass, right? Could've been worse than 21-3 at the half. Credit to Debord, but Shoop did what he was hired to do. Our defense manhandled Florida.

Reactions: 1 person
It must be tough being a strength and conditioning coach. You get criticized when players randomly get hurt, when it might or might not be your fault. You get no credit when players don't get hurt.

If Butch promoted the new guy because the players liked him then he's less prepared to be a HC than I thought (and I've generally supported him). Some things you shouldn't have to be a HC for 15 years to learn.

I don't know whether there is a better way of explaining the switch in the S&C position. But, whatever the reason, the new guy did not have these players physically ready. And Shoop has confirmed it.

I totally agree, Bama pays their S&C coach 600K a year to our ..... 60K..... spoke volumes on the field. We were pushed around in all areas of the game. The 1st quarter was our best but after that, we were owned!

That is an issue of scheme.

We have guys like
Bituli 6'3 235
Austin Smith 6'3 245
Darrell Taylor 6'4 245
who have practiced or played Lb.

Instead we essentially make 185 lb Rashaan Gaulden our LB by running that 4- 2- 5 the WHOLE game.

I'm still scratching about last Saturday.

Yeah, I agree. A 4-2-5 against a team with a true frosh, dual threat QB whose weakness is throwing the ball. So, you go with 5 DBs to make running easier on him? Makes no sense.

The box should have been stacked, forcing him to throw downfield to beat us. Instead, we let them run wild.

Agree, & why is our secondary busting so many covers? Presumably due to players still adjusting to Shoop's system; but the defense has lacked consistency while showing moments of brilliance. Injuries have played a huge factor, too. :dunno:

On the positive side, they do seem to be adapting better than an earlier gang did to the Sunseri defensive scheme.

Let's just hope that when we finally get a Debord replacement that it isn't Butch's own Clawfense.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Shoop is the one person we have to keep at all costs. Everyone else on that staff can be replaced. Shoop is the best coach of the lot. Pay the man whatever he asks and make sure he NEVER goes to a different SEC team.

I just hope CBJ really listens to Shoop. We have a great recruiter in Jones and a great defensive mind and motivator in Shoop. Shoop obviously sees the problems with the way the team has been prepped for this season and I am sure he is talking to Butch about it. I think we see some pretty big staff changes coming up after the Bowl game if CBJ is wise enough to take advice and I think he is. FWIW

Yeah, I agree. A 4-2-5 against a team with a true frosh, dual threat QB whose weakness is throwing the ball. So, you go with 5 DBs to make running easier on him? Makes no sense.

The box should have been stacked, forcing him to throw downfield to beat us. Instead, we let them run wild.

Lack of depth at linebacker forced the hand there I believe. I'm pretty sure CBS said that too.

Lack of depth at linebacker forced the hand there I believe. I'm pretty sure CBS said that too.

Okay, fine. But after you get lit up for 260+ rushing yards in the first half alone, it might be time to try an extra linebacker (even if inexperienced) for 3 LBs or even an extra DE like Kongbo or Phillips and have 5 DLs.

Okay, fine. But after you get lit up for 260+ rushing yards in the first half alone, it might be time to try an extra linebacker (even if inexperienced) for 3 LBs or even an extra DE like Kongbo or Phillips and have 5 DLs.

But Alabama was running sweeps mostly. They didn't kill us in the first half between the tackles. What good would an extra linebacker do if he's too slow to get to the corner?

But Alabama was running sweeps mostly. They didn't kill us in the first half between the tackles. What good would an extra linebacker do if he's too slow to get to the corner?

And here is where numerous people on this forum have a huge misunderstanding of how to use run support defenders.

First off it wasn't just sweeps. It was counter plays. QB power runs. QB reads.
1)
If the intial defender is not there (LB ,rov, Wde) than positive yardage has already been gained and the defense is at disadvantage. The edge player can DISRUPT the play by being AT THE LINE of scrimmage before the snap.
- this allows the backer to read the qb and motion man and watch the TE or slot.
You especially need this now because of that stupid 3 yards downfield allowance for OL on pass plays.

Football played well is like chess.
Played average is like checkers.

THEY ARE BOTH GAMES OF SPACES.
And right now Shoop is not putting enough size in areas to defend the run .

And our safeties - Abernathy mostly- have been doing a bad bad baf job at recognizing run progression.

Last edited:
And here is where numerous people on this forum have a huge misunderstanding of how to use run support defenders.

First off it wasn't just sweeps. It was counter plays. QB power runs. QB reads.
1)
If the intial defender is not there (LB ,rov, Wde) than positive yardage has already been gained and the defense is at disadvantage. The edge player can DISRUPT the play by being AT THE LINE of scrimmage before the snap.
- this allows the backer to read the qb and motion man and watch the TE or slot.
You especially need this now because of that stupid 3 yards downfield allowance for OL on pass plays.

Football played well is like chess.
Played average is like checkers.

THEY ARE BOTH GAMES OF SPACES.
And right now Shoop is not putting enough size in areas to defend the run .

And our safeties - Abernathy mostly- have been doing a bad bad baf job at recognizing run progression.

Bingo. This is why the 4-2-5 was a bad idea. You had smallish player playing far from the LOS. A bad recipe against a running team with a suspect passer.

Forget teaching DB's to turn and look. That is possibly the biggest myth in football. I'm with the poster that suggested that we learn to set the edge again. We were so good at that in 2014 and most of 2015. It's as if we have completely forgotten our fundamentals so now we just try to create fumbles.

I had my doubts about shoop, but he is proving himself. I'm seriously impressed with his defense. He is just a very bright guy. Usually very bright guys lack common everyday functions though. Like form tackling.

It's not like he can go tackle the opponents himself. His units of the past were very good at form tackling. I guess when you play with a M. A. S. H. unit, this will happen.

VN Store

Back