Very interesting statement today by Coach Shoop

Resumes pouring in. Got to fix this crap. Looks like S&C is a tough job.... build em up like a brick shethouse and they are slower than molasses. Build arm strength and their legs are weak. Glaring issue there today.

This thread kind of reminds me of a few years ago when someone said that the Sullins twins needed to "eat the damn house down" because they were undersized.

I had my doubts about shoop, but he is proving himself. I'm seriously impressed with his defense. He is just a very bright guy. Usually very bright guys lack common everyday functions though. Like form tackling.

How in the world can you make this statement? He is giving up nearly 40 points per game in SEC play! I'm not ready to can the guy, but good grief.

Reactions: 2 people
Safety is a real problem. I thought at the beginning of the season that we'd be seeing an upgrade but it's really been a dissappointment

Yes it has been. Constantly out of position in both run and pass defense.

This what I like about Shoop. I was beginning to question him.

He was able to look across the field and see what a legit defense looks like. Heavy long and still athletic.

He has A LOT of talent sitting on the bench. Guys like
Taylor 6'4 245
Smith 6'3 240
Bituli 6'3 235

Would have made a huge difference in run support the past two weeks.
All of those dudes can run and can play on the edge.

He has shown he can adjust.

Just like Berry, Osborne, Sapp etc. They're On The Bench For A reason. No significant time last week especially when we are so thin right now. Just not good enough right now. Size don't been talent. Just another warm body.

I've been posting about this since Saturday. It's clear something is wrong with S&C. new coach = historic number of injuries. Not rocket science, folks.

You seem to be easy above average in football condition knowledge. Could you then give us just your top 5 injuries, and the off season conditioning routine that would have prevented those injuries. I would be very interested to know what you know. TIA.

Reactions: 1 person
Against bama we were running a 4-2-5 - basically a nickel where the extra DB is really a LB (since we've lost 4 of out top 5 LBs)..

I think we needed something like a 8-4-5 to slow down Bama...

Bama blockers apparently latched onto defenders like they were magnets; of course, it wasn't holding because the refs would have caught that. So perhaps you have the right scheme - enough bodies to go and grab onto those offensive blockers like maniacal, sacrificial magnets and pull them all over the field while a couple of otherwise unoccupied guys go after the runner. Other than that, they might carry Mace to help with the muggings.

Maybe Shoop just needs to put his analytical mind to work and figure out why our guys can't break free of blockers and forget about the football chess board for a while.

I'm the exact opposite. I had zero doubts about Shoop based on his track record. However, after watching our defense perform through 7 games, he has a lot to prove going forward IMO.

5-2, beat UF & UGA on his watch same and his only year on The Hill. I'm thinking it's no accident.

Minus Bama, the second half numbers were outstanding. Since the whole team has had a 1st half issue maybe thats not a Shoop problem.

Edit. Not trying to say its a CBJ problem. Just that its been a problem.

A defense that has been on the field too long, particularly when it is already relying on backups to replace injured backups, is going to have problems. The offense has to play its part which means somebody like Butch needs to find bodies for an offensive line and get something working up front.

Whether it's recruiting or development the problem hasn't changed in Jones four year tenure. Dobbs sometimes can make it look better, but the line is a disaster. In the end the offensive line has a lot to do with both the offensive point production and defensive meltdowns.

Reactions: 2 people
Those are some big tread marks on the S&C coach from being thrown under the bus by Shoop. Even if true, there is nothing to be gained by going public. Makes me question Shoop. But he is likely feeling a bunch of heat, even with all the injuries. His defense didn't exactly show up too well even in early games when health wasn't such an issue.

I think the losses of R-M and Kirkland have had a HUGE impact on the D's production. .....and I mean much bigger than most think.

I'm hoping this is the case and that Shoop isn't taking a dive.

This is exactly where my head has been as well. McDowell has proven he can play now that he has experience, but there's nothing close to DK for effectiveness. Shoop has been scheming his donkey off since JRM was booted out early in the season.

Shoop was hired to end the Florida streak. He did. Therefore, I love him. No doubt in my mind it'd be 12 in a row without him.

Those are some big tread marks on the S&C coach from being thrown under the bus by Shoop. Even if true, there is nothing to be gained by going public. Makes me question Shoop. But he is likely feeling a bunch of heat, even with all the injuries. His defense didn't exactly show up too well even in early games when health wasn't such an issue.

Shoop and his assistants oversee a lot of the explosive speed part in outdoor drills. I'm sure he'll ask for some alternate leg work in S&C also.
But your "throwing under the bus" conspiracy post, falls somewhere between funny and pathetic.

I'm the exact opposite. I had zero doubts about Shoop based on his track record. However, after watching our defense perform through 7 games, he has a lot to prove going forward IMO.

Agreed. Although losing JRM and Sutton so early has skewed the numbers a little IMO. But he made a huge mistake when he publicly said "nobody is going to run on this defense." He put a bullseye on his chest at that point.

VN Store

Back