Very interesting statement today by Coach Shoop

I'm the exact opposite. I had zero doubts about Shoop based on his track record. However, after watching our defense perform through 7 games, he has a lot to prove going forward IMO.

Minus Bama, the second half numbers were outstanding. Since the whole team has had a 1st half issue maybe thats not a Shoop problem.

Edit. Not trying to say its a CBJ problem. Just that its been a problem.

Last edited:
I'm the exact opposite. I had zero doubts about Shoop based on his track record. However, after watching our defense perform through 7 games, he has a lot to prove going forward IMO.

He does KB.

Waaaay to many gash plays this year against us.

Mostly in the edge un the run game.

Abernathy does not diagnose quickly enough. And hes not very fast...but he is the safety that primarily backs up the edge run support along with the nickel.
He's becoming a liability.

Shoop better take a long look at what he has. He's leaving talent off the field.

Minus Bama, the second half numbers were outstanding. Since the whole team has had a 1st half issue maybe thats not a Shoop problem.

Edit. Not trying to say its a CBJ problem. Just that its been a problem.

I love watching his defense close the field though. The opposition starts at the 25...gets a run, gets a pass, then it starts to get tough. It's like watching a net close on a school of fish. The closer you get to the end zone the tougher it gets to move. He has had a couple of great redone stops. The net just closes.

Every team Vols have played has run the outside at will. Shoops needs to worry about making that adjustment first. S&C is later.

I believe that is what he is referring to, containing the edge on outside runs, not s&c.

I've been posting about this since Saturday. It's clear something is wrong with S&C. new coach = historic number of injuries. Not rocket science, folks.

Old S&C = historic number of preseason injuries. So, 2 coaches, 2 major problems with injuries. Not saying it's rocket science, but something is afoot beyond just a coaching change IMO.

I didn't give a hoot about candy D and he just followed Franklin to P state. I didn't see anything worth bragging about. Then when he showed up he has that look in his eyes, like there was something going on upstairs he was trying to hide.

His gets the job done though. He does more than I think he should with what he has. The D looks great with him. He seems to really care too.

You should have - he put together a solid D there with limited resources.

He does KB.

Waaaay to many gash plays this year against us.

Mostly in the edge un the run game.

Abernathy does not diagnose quickly enough. And hes not very fast...but he is the safety that primarily backs up the edge run support along with the nickel.
He's becoming a liability.

Shoop better take a long look at what he has. He's leaving talent off the field.

Warrior?

I didn't give a hoot about candy D and he just followed Franklin to P state. I didn't see anything worth bragging about. Then when he showed up he has that look in his eyes, like there was something going on upstairs he was trying to hide.

His gets the job done though. He does more than I think he should with what he has. The D looks great with him. He seems to really care too.

with his type players this man can coach.

you cant have a top 5 defense at vundy unless you can coach.

Reactions: 1 person

I think the losses of R-M and Kirkland have had a HUGE impact on the D's production. .....and I mean much bigger than most think.

I'm hoping this is the case and that Shoop isn't taking a dive.

Reactions: 2 people
Recruit running backs by the truckload and move them to LB when they don't crack the 4 deep. That should take care of sideline to sideline / containment issues. I'm pretty sure we used to do this as standard practice...

Reactions: 3 people
This what I like about Shoop. I was beginning to question him.

He was able to look across the field and see what a legit defense looks like. Heavy long and still athletic.

He has A LOT of talent sitting on the bench. Guys like
Taylor 6'4 245
Smith 6'3 240
Bituli 6'3 235

Would have made a huge difference in run support the past two weeks.
All of those dudes can run and can play on the edge.

He has shown he can adjust.
...and that's a fact. After this massively needed bye-week and considering the Vols will be facing the chickens, TTU, The kitties, cats and doors to finish out the regular season, we should expect to see a lot of reps from the above-mentioned young studs, along with some other fellas with outrageous upsides. Win out (and there are no guarantees here) and...if bama is indeed the foe in Atlanta...then I'm proposing a far more diverse and potent Tennessee football team will chomping at the bit to exact some revenge over those over-confident tidesters. Butch, DeBord and Shoop will have much more to work with by then. Adjustments? Let me count the plays.

Reactions: 2 people
...and that's a fact. After this massively needed bye-week and considering the Vols will be facing the chickens, TTU, The kitties, cats and doors to finish out the regular season, we should expect to see a lot of reps from the above-mentioned young studs, along with some other fellas with outrageous upsides. Win out (and there are no guarantees here) and...if bama is indeed the foe in Atlanta...then I'm proposing a far more diverse and potent Tennessee football team will chomping at the bit to exact some revenge over those over-confident tidesters. Butch, DeBord and Shoop will have much more to work with by then. Adjustments? Let me count the plays.

Defense would look a lot different. Let's just hope the o would follow suit.

Safety is a real problem. I thought at the beginning of the season that we'd be seeing an upgrade but it's really been a dissappointment

Shoop? Frankly, I'm just not that impressed with him so far. I'm sure all these injuries have cuffed him to a degree, but meh....

VN Store

Back