Very interesting statement today by Coach Shoop

@GrantRamey 7 hours ago
Shoop: We need to do better job w/ strength/speed training over the offseason. Contain problems "are something we need to correct for sure"

While Shoop was saying this, Hurts just ran for another TD

How in the world can you make this statement? He is giving up nearly 40 points per game in SEC play! I'm not ready to can the guy, but good grief.

Do ya THINK injuries to many of our best defensive players might have something to do with it??

@GrantRamey 7 hours ago
Shoop: We need to do better job w/ strength/speed training over the offseason. Contain problems "are something we need to correct for sure"

It has been alarming seeing so many players outrun our safeties and cbs. Not just speed guys, but UGA TE Nauta, aTm QB Knight, Bama power back Scarboro. We seem surprisingly slow in the secondary, imo. One of the biggest and most disappointing surprises this year.

Reactions: 2 people
We also have problems with the theory of "contain". Sometimes our guys who are "setting the edge" try to make the tackle instead of setting the edge. Then, when they miss the tackle, the edge isn't set, and the opposing player just goes around the corner. Other defensive players give chase, but can't catchup to the guy running free. That lends itself to the belief our secondary is slow. Which it is not.

The edge players on our defense should just contain the play (not necessarily go for the tackle). Properly setting the edge will make the runner stop his feet and turn back inside (back to the pursuit). This will bottle things up and help us keep from getting gashed in the run game. I think we don't contain plays properly, so by default we aren't playing defense properly.

In pass defense our corners get beat too often off the line of scrimmage. That means the safety's help is needed too often. But we don't have much at linebacker either, so they also need the safety's help covering the tight end or slot going up the seam. So we are placed at an extreme disadvantage in that the safety can only be in one place at one time when we need them to be in two places at one time (see the Georgia game for a visual). A good qb will shred that sort of defense. And we've been shredded for sure.

That and designing a defensive scheme that values setting the edge. It appears we don't value either of those things because after 7 games we constantly and consistently do neither.

And DBs getting off blocks from WRs instead of being held like glue to their chest for 15 yds back peddling like participants in some strange dance. If they were being held by the Bama WRs, then they need to gain enough strength to fight them off.

Reactions: 1 person
Every team Vols have played has run the outside at will. Shoops needs to worry about making that adjustment first. S&C is later.

There are multiple misalignments in formations that allows this to happen too. There was an 8 year old yelling in the fifth row in AA and calling out what Bama was going to run on at least 6 plays Saturday pre-snap. It was extremely obvious to everyone except our 11. Probably a combo of injuries/youth but if an 8 year old can see it, c'mon. One that is etched in my memory is the 8-year old yelling, "Hurts is about to run 60 yards to the right guys, someone rotate to the other side, stop shifting left, stop, please stop, [snap, hurts takes it apprx. 60 yards to the right], MOM WHY CANT THEY SEE THIS COMING?!?!" Then cue two fat dumb stereotypical Bama fans right behind me rubbing it in the kids face "because we're bama and they're not ain't that right daddy." Incredibly frustrating.

In any event, Go Vols. Get Healthy. Let's finish the season on 8-0 run.

Shoop was hired to end the Florida streak. He did. Therefore, I love him. No doubt in my mind it'd be 12 in a row without him.

He did that how? By going down 21-0 in the blink of an eye?

Debord ended that streak if any ass. coach did.

I'm not calling for Shoop's head by any stretch but you guys are slurping him for no reason.

Reactions: 3 people
Bama blockers apparently latched onto defenders like they were magnets; of course, it wasn't holding because the refs would have caught that. So perhaps you have the right scheme - enough bodies to go and grab onto those offensive blockers like maniacal, sacrificial magnets and pull them all over the field while a couple of otherwise unoccupied guys go after the runner. Other than that, they might carry Mace to help with the muggings.

Maybe Shoop just needs to put his analytical mind to work and figure out why our guys can't break free of blockers and forget about the football chess board for a while.

That's what struck me. They weren't being called for holding, but they would stay with the block and give them the "bum's" rush. Wish our guys would do that.

Reactions: 4 people
How 'bout teaching DBs to turn around and look for the ball??!!

That can be dangerous...... A DB should be watching the player he is covering, specifically his hands. If those hands go up to catch the ball be ready to swat that sucker away or intercept it. Turning to look at the ball could result in the receiver getting open and getting an easy catch or TD.

Last edited:
Every team Vols have played has run the outside at will. Shoops needs to worry about making that adjustment first. S&C is later.

Agree, & why is our secondary busting so many covers? Presumably due to players still adjusting to Shoop's system; but the defense has lacked consistency while showing moments of brilliance. Injuries have played a huge factor, too. :dunno:

Those are some big tread marks on the S&C coach from being thrown under the bus by Shoop. Even if true, there is nothing to be gained by going public. Makes me question Shoop. But he is likely feeling a bunch of heat, even with all the injuries. His defense didn't exactly show up too well even in early games when health wasn't such an issue.

I am so glad to hear this from one of our coaches, because it means that they know they have a big problem. These players simply were not physically ready for even the first game. Sad thing is that this cannot be fixed for this season. We will have to gut it out and hope to limp home at 10-2 or worse.

But I hope Butch learned a valuable lesson. He probably made this switch because his players liked this new guy better. And that most likely is because the new guy was easier on them. You cannot let the inmates run the asylum. Well, the lack of physical development is partly why this team will fall short of what could have been a magical season.

It just looks to me like Butch took his foot off the gas this off season. Like he was channeling his inner Mack Brown and running a country club. Again, this team has not been prepared to play from Game 1. That is what is most disappointing.

Right now I would like for Shoop to shut his mouth and coach the team. His defense is continually out of position and has given up what almost 700 yards rushing in the last two games. If he is a genius DC I sure as hell haven't seen it.

Reactions: 5 people
Safety is a real problem. I thought at the beginning of the season that we'd be seeing an upgrade but it's really been a dissappointment

Honestly, the only defensive thing that hasn't been a disappointment is Derek Barnett IMO.

Reactions: 4 people
I've been posting about this since Saturday. It's clear something is wrong with S&C. new coach = historic number of injuries. Not rocket science, folks.

I see where you're going...

Full moon = historical amount of crazy statements being made by a presidential candidate....definitely not rocket science. :eek:k:

It does seem most of us were surprised and disappointed how the team came out in the first game physically and mentally. We were not ready to play. The trend is continuing. We could very easily be 3-4 right now with one of those loses to Appy State.

He did that how? By going down 21-0 in the blink of an eye?

Debord ended that streak if any ass. coach did.

I'm not calling for Shoop's head by any stretch but you guys are slurping him for no reason.

Couldn't agree more. Our defense has by and large looked bad since day one vs App State. Shoop has made some defensive adjustments in the second halves of some games this year and that's been great.....but they were only needed because the defense looked like crap the first half.

The injuries have surely hurt the defense but what happened vs Alabama on Saturday isn't just due to injuries. It's a combination of an injured defense that plays poor technique and poor fundamental football ..... that's how you get embarrassed to the tune of 436 rushing yards, the most Alabama has had in 22 years.

And I don't know if anyone has referenced this stat, but this speaks exactly to what we're talking about.......vs Alabama, our defense gave up 14 runs where we didn't touch the Bama ball carrier until they were at least 10 yards downfield. Sorry guys, that ain't injuries, that's scheme and technique.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back