To Protect and to Serve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of IED's in Tampa, FL?

New-Tampa-Police-Tank.jpg

No,but lots of crackhouses...

so they do need a vehicle specifically designed against IEDs?

I would think something like that would at least make the news

MRAP = Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected

is it necessary for local law enforcement or not?

Local law enforcement? Probably not.

LAPD, NYPD, etc. - Sure.

is that specifically designed to combat IEDs?

MRAP = Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected

is it necessary for local law enforcement or not? Quit avoiding the question

I answered your question prior to seeing this. I was not avoiding your question as shown in my response to it above. However, you completely ignored my question about your law enforcement experience but had the audacity to comment the bolded above.

Come on PJ...

I answered your question prior to seeing this. I was not avoiding your question as shown in my response to it above. However, you completely ignored my question about your law enforcement experience but had the audacity to comment the bolded above.

Come on PJ...

because it was irrelevant to the discussion. If officers were in need of IED resistant vehicles that's something every single citizen would be aware of. I don't have to be a cop to know the streets on Anycity, USA aren't mined

those are still local

can you link any instance of them losing an officer to an IED?

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on IED's. You obviously know that IED's are not prevalent in the USA along with everyone else. Is that your beef? Simply because of what the original purpose of the vehicle was?

because it was irrelevant to the discussion. If officers were in need of IED resistant vehicles that's something every single citizen would be aware of. I don't have to be a cop to know the streets on Anycity, USA aren't mined

So it's a single use vehicle? It serves no other purpose except to be IED resistant and therefore cannot and should not be used for anything else?

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on IED's. You obviously know that IED's are not prevalent in the USA along with everyone else. Is that your beef? Simply because of what the original purpose of the vehicle was?

it's a specifically designed military vehicle. It has no purpose in US law enforcement except to waste tax dollars and to continue the militarization of our police forces. It's getting ridiculous at this point

it's a specifically designed military vehicle. It has no purpose in US law enforcement except to waste tax dollars and to continue the militarization of our police forces. It's getting ridiculous at this point

You're potentially on to something. However I just take issue with the word "need" used the way you're using it. There's an infinite amount of things used every day in every facet of government that aren't "needed" right?

You're potentially on to something. However I just take issue with the word "need" used the way you're using it. There's an infinite amount of things used every day in every facet of government that aren't "needed" right?

and they should be cut. Spending has always been the issue. Look at the donor numbers for those voting to attack Syria. The defense industry are big spenders for members of Congress

Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks to Go With Their 1.6 Billion Bullet Stockpile | The Gateway Pundit

this is being rolled out all over the country under the guise of homeland security. Either it's reckless spending or someone knows something they're not letting on

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, there may have been a scenario where they were needed in some places but how many times?

In Sumner County TN there hasn't been one that I can think of over the last 20 years.

If I'm not mistaken you will be seeing one in Sumner Co very soon. I can think of at least 4 instances in the last 3 years in Sumner Co. that this was needed.

So it's a single use vehicle? It serves no other purpose except to be IED resistant and therefore cannot and should not be used for anything else?

This is going to be the new SWAT vehicle. It can carry up to 8 officers. Most small departments have old ambulances that were given to them and most of the time they won't even start. I was sitting in one of these the last time I was shot at with an SKS and bullets rattled all over that ambulance. I didn't know I could get that small.

If I'm not mistaken you will be seeing one in Sumner Co very soon. I can think of at least 4 instances in the last 3 years in Sumner Co. that this was needed.

I've lived here 4 years and don't recall any instances. Time to do some googling of the news services.

Last edited:
This is dumb, do I really need law enforcement experience to know that Apache attack helicopters aren't needed either? Common sense can be used here. A military vehicle designed to repel IEDs being used on American streets is absurd. I'm sure there are other, cheaper, more appropriate vehicles needed for tactical situations for those municipalities that may legitimately need them.

This is dumb, do I really need law enforcement experience to know that Apache attack helicopters aren't needed either? Common sense can be used here. A military vehicle designed to repel IEDs being used on American streets is absurd. I'm sure there are other, cheaper, more appropriate vehicles needed for tactical situations for those municipalities that may legitimately need them.

Who has those?

That's clearly a photoshopped picture.

Do better.

what? That's unpossible :eek:hmy:

it was a joke. That pic has been around for years

but the question still stands- where were MRAPs 5-10 years ago? How many depts had drones capable of being armed?

what? That's unpossible :eek:hmy:

it was a joke. That pic has been around for years

but the question still stands- where were MRAPs 5-10 years ago? How many depts had drones capable of being armed?

I understand the concern here with the militarization aspect of this. However, a lot of times, SWAT teams are going into active shooter situations. If the department has the resources, why not use a vehicle that can adequately protect the SWAT officers? They also use a variety of military style weapons and devices, why is this any different besides cost and appearance? Its just another tool to protect the officers and allow them to contain the situation and accomplish the task safely and effectively. I can see both sides of this argument, however, if I am a SWAT member and you give me the choice between an MRAP vehicle and a converted ambulance...I'm going with the MRAP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back