To Protect and to Serve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most officer deaths are a result of traffic accidents in one form or another as opposed to felonious action. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the officer screwed up.

In my town the only officer fatality all-time was a traffic fatality. It's a small town and he saw a speeder late at night. He didn't give him direct chase, he tried to head him off at an intersection ahead, and it meant speeding around a back road. He went off the road and rolled his car. Crazy.

He was probably just really bored with the job. He was the same officer I referenced in another story who told my friend they could charge him with attempted murder for having a toy gun at a school dance, LOL.

I'm not making light of their deaths, but 2 of the 4 officer deaths on the main page are from car crashes (how many civilians lives did they risk with their driving?) and one guy had a heart attack. Only one article listed was about an officer killed by a criminal.

*Edit*

I've gone through 4 pages of links on that site and 90% of the officer deaths are either from being in a car wreck (wreckless driving) or from being struck by a car on the side of the road. Their deaths were preventable and more often than not a result of their own actions.

Doesn't that mean "without wrecks"? :question:

For the original story on this thread: That woman had every right to shoot back if she had a gun and kill that moron.

As to the rest: Honestly if cops would just actually protect us from the bad guys who really do harm society... that would be great. But the money is far easier to make busting people doing 15 over and who don't use their turn signals.

Reactions: 1 person
For the original story on this thread: That woman had every right to shoot back if she had a gun and kill that moron.

As to the rest: Honestly if cops would just actually protect us from the bad guys who really do harm society... that would be great. But the money is far easier to make busting people doing 15 over and who don't use their turn signals.

We do try you know...action is faster than reaction though and the vast majority of the time, we get there after the crime has already been committed. Yet, proactive policing starts to make people uncomfortable. We do what we can with what we have and just try to make sure we get there fast enough to prevent the crime.

As I've said before, there are thousands of police-citizen encounters every day. People shouldnt get the wrong idea from just a rare handful that are handled poorly.

seemed to fit here

Family Raided by SWAT Team for “Weeds” | BobTuskin.com

The police enforced activity on the day of the raid included mowing the grass, the forcible destruction of both wild and cultivated plants like blackberries, lamb’s quarters and okra, and the removal of other varied materials from around the premises such as pallets, tires and cardboard that the Community members say they had collected for use in sustainability projects. No marijuana or other drugs were found on site and the inhabitants of the premises were all unarmed.

After several hours and many requests from the community members, the City Police Officers finally produced two warrants. The first was a Search Warrant for a suspected marijuana growth and distribution operation purportedly being concealed on the premises. There was also an Inspection & Abatement Warrant for code compliance violations such as tall grass and storage in the yard, an issue that the City of Arlington and The Garden of Eden have been disputing since February of this year. The marijuana warrant was issued based on an unsubstantiated claim by an Arlington City Police Officer of possession of marijuana by one of the community members for which there is no police record. Garden of Eden community members also say they have a series of documents showing that their dispute with the City of Arlington over the code compliance violations had already been addressed and settled.
SWAT teams used to enforce code compliance and outstanding traffic warrants. Well done Arlington

No. But it's case by case. Don't make broad conclusions based on individual instances.

I think the bigger issue is that we rarely see reparations/resolution from these extraordinary breaching of rights.

Being an LEO is a very important responsibility. It should be a big deal when that responsibility is abused.

Can you level with that?

I think the bigger issue is that we rarely see reparations/resolution from these extraordinary breaching of rights.

Being an LEO is a very important responsibility. It should be a big deal when that responsibility is abused.

Can you level with that?

I defend lawsuits based on allegations of police misconduct. Trust me, people sue.

They occasionally have merit. Most of the time its people (and, sadly, their lawyers) not able to understand that the police do not know them, and treat every situation as one where they need to be in control of the situation. Their worst nightmare is a minor traffic stop where someone suddenly pulls a gun.

I defend lawsuits based on allegations of police misconduct. Trust me, people sue.

They occasionally have merit. Most of the time its people (and, sadly, their lawyers) not able to understand that the police do not know them, and treat every situation as one where they need to be in control of the situation. Their worst nightmare is a minor traffic stop where someone suddenly pulls a gun.

WZTV FOX 17 :: Newsroom - Top Stories - TBI Investigates Shooting Involving Millersville Police Officer

DeKalb Sheriff

he DeKalb County Sheriff kept his promise Tuesday to punish deputies caught on a viral online video showing their profanity-lace encounter serving a warrant last month.
And Sheriff Thomas Brown even changed the rules for executing civil warrants to non-criminal offenders. The family at the heart of the controversy, however, doesn’t think Brown went far enough.

“While we are happy that Sheriff Brown recognizes that mistakes were made, we will not be happy until all the deputies involved in this are fired and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Natania Griffin said.

Brown said the ranking deputy at the scene the night of July 26 was demoted Monday because he didn’t use sound judgement when he tried to help three others arrest Griffin, a mother of three in arrears at the time on a $1,000 court bill.

“That’s why he’s not a sergeant,” Brown said of now-Deputy Dan McGhee, naming the deputies and speaking out for the first time Tuesday morning about the incident. “I’m appalled at what I heard, and that is not the type of conduct I expect from deputies serving a non-violent warrant.”

Three more deputies — Ray Hunt, Charles Dix and Aaron Jackson — will be suspended following the concluded internal investigation, Thomas said. Dix and Jackson will be suspended for 8.5 hours, the equivalent of one day, and Hunt will be suspended for 17 hours, or two days, the sheriff said.

cops_donuts-donutland.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back