'18 TN OL/DL Cade Mays (Transfer)

To be the senergy behind this class; the 1st commit for 2018, is shocking not to entertain an in-home from the new staff. This is a case of committing to the school or committing to the coach. If he goes elsewhere, it's his decision and he owes nobody anything. But, to those who he recruited and told to join him at UT, and said they would be part of Championships, to those he has to answer. Good luck wherever he goes.

Since he would not even visit, then yes he is gone. If to Clemson, he is going to a school that doesn’t develop OL to be drafted. I do not want him to go to Georgia but Pittman is a good coach and Georgia gets OL drafted. But some of those guys from Georgia who got drafted had our new OL coach as their coach when he was at Georgia. Makes no sense to go to Clemson and not even give our guys a chance. He really should put things off till January and maybe look at other schools as well. If not here, I hope he goes to Clemson. Will be a good player but question their ability to develop NFL talent. If he plays DL, then different story. Time will tell but IF he fails, enjoy living and working in South Carolina. That is how things work.

I'd like to see how that compares to Will Friend. Also wonder if WKU had any OL drafted from Helton's time as OC there?

Will Friend coached at UGA from 2011 to 2014. Georgia had three O-Linemen drafted in 2012...Cordy Glenn (2nd rd), Ben Jones (4th rd) and Justin Anderson (7th rd). It would be an incredible stretch to credit Friend for developing those players IMO.

In 2013, 2014 and 2015, Georgia had no O-Linemen drafted.
In 2016 John Theus was drafted in the 5th RD.
In 2017 Georgia had no O-Linemen drafted.

When looked at objectively, OL recruiting and development clearly regressed during the four years Will Friend was at Georgia. Pittman is doing way better recruiting and developing O-Linemen than Friend. It's not even close. There is a reason why Pittman is considered one of the top OL coaches in college football.

If Cade is comparing resumes, he is much more likely to be drafted higher with Pittman as his coach.

The fact that's Pruitt is offering JUCO OL and a grad transfer that didn't play this yr tells you:
1) he knows he's in trouble on the OL
2) Cade Mays isn't coming.

Time to piss on the fire and call the dogs here, guys. This Hunt is over.

Don't forget, starting next year, we'll be able to play freshmen in 4 games before redshirting them.

We can play every player, and then see what we got and go from there.

That rule didn’t pass. Will be on the docket again when they meet in Jan/Feb. will be great if t does.

I can't see how anyone who committed under the last staff would not be ecstatic about the opportunity to play for this staff under CJP. For whatever reason he committed in the first place, that reason is still there plus so many other benefits. I fully believe we'll be straight regardless, but would love for Cade to be apart of it. Clemson is built on us, Miami, and UF having down years, so they've been poaching the athletes we would normally get, not tradition. It won't be long before they're right back where they've always been. It'll all be over as soon as CBV takes a HC position.

Will Friend coached at UGA from 2011 to 2014. Georgia had three O-Linemen drafted in 2012...Cordy Glenn (2nd rd), Ben Jones (4th rd) and Justin Anderson (7th rd). It would be an incredible stretch to credit Friend for developing those players IMO.

In 2013, 2014 and 2015, Georgia had no O-Linemen drafted.
In 2016 John Theus was drafted in the 5th RD.
In 2017 Georgia had no O-Linemen drafted.

When looked at objectively, OL recruiting and development clearly regressed during the four years Will Friend was at Georgia. Pittman is doing way better recruiting and developing O-Linemen than Friend. It's not even close. There is a reason why Pittman is considered one of the top OL coaches in college football.

If Cade is comparing resumes, he is much more likely to be drafted higher with Pittman as his coach.

Know anybody who can do that for you? :)

Reactions: 3 people
Sucks too because I went FullSwanson right after Fulmer was back as AD and bet a Clemson buddy a happy hour round on Mays signature. This was when we didn't even have a coach! Never go FullSwanson when you don't have a coach lol.

Love you Ron.

Haha it’s all good. Personally, I think Dabo is an excellent recruiter and Cade bought it all hook line and sinker. The god fearing stuff, the negative recruiting on UT, the family atmosphere at Clemson, etc. He was being sold all of that while our season was blowing up, our fanbase was melting down, our coach was being dragged through the mud, coaching search debacle, National perception was bad...bad look on the fans (social media) and the program.

If he had just kept his head down and ignored the phone calls like guys like Emerson, Litaker and others did we’d be fine. But he listened, visited and it’s pretty clear his entire mindset has changed.

Like I said, going to take an unbelievable sales pitch from Fulmer and Pruitt. And this late in the game I’m pretty sure it’s not going to go our way. He made his mind up weeks ago and it’ll be hard to sway him. Sucks bad, I know.

Edit: I was still confident just a few days ago because of Fulmer and Pruitt but if he really won't let them in his house, that's all we need to know. Blouses.

Reactions: 4 people
Haha it’s all good. Personally, I think Dabo is an excellent recruiter and Cade bought it all hook line and sinker. The god fearing stuff, the negative recruiting on UT, the family atmosphere at Clemson, etc. He was being sold all of that while our season was blowing up, our fanbase was melting down, our coach was being dragged through the mud, coaching search debacle, National perception was bad...bad look on the fans (social media) and the program.

If he had just kept his head down and ignored the phone calls like guys like Emerson, Litaker and others did we’d be fine. But he listened, visited and it’s pretty clear his entire mindset has changed.

Like I said, going to take an unbelievable sales pitch from Fulmer and Pruitt. And this late in the game I’m pretty sure it’s not going to go our way. He made his mind up weeks ago and it’ll be hard to sway him. Sucks bad, I know.

Edit: I was still confident just a few days ago because of Fulmer and Pruitt but if he really won't let them in his house, that's all we need to know. Blouses.

I get the Clemson appeal. They’re one of the top 2 programs in the country, have a loaded roster and will be dominating the ACC for a while

I get the Clemson appeal. They’re one of the top 2 programs in the country, have a loaded roster and will be dominating the ACC for a while

No doubt. It's just a hard pill to swallow for many reasons. He's a local kid, he's a legacy, he was committed for years, he's a 5 star at the biggest need on the roster...

The only positive in all of this is that if he does go to Clemson at least he's not in the SEC.

The fact that's Pruitt is offering JUCO OL and a grad transfer that didn't play this yr tells you:

That has zero to do with Cafe. Our OL is that much of a mess.

Not good for Catholic to be a feeder program for Clemson. I know we have some ex-UT guys on staff there. You'd think it would help us out.

Something odd about it to me. You have all these highly rated guys coming out of Knoxville who claim that they grew up Tennessee fans, even a couple of legacies, and they're going to Clemson of all places. Something smells fishy about the whole situation to me.

Reactions: 1 person
To be the senergy behind this class; the 1st commit for 2018, is shocking not to entertain an in-home from the new staff. This is a case of committing to the school or committing to the coach. If he goes elsewhere, it's his decision and he owes nobody anything. But, to those who he recruited and told to join him at UT, and said they would be part of Championships, to those he has to answer. Good luck wherever he goes.

It's really a head scratcher for sure. For someone who was committed to UT for 2 years, de-commit with Jones' firing, and not entertain even a visit back to his hometown school's campus with the new coach and staff? Then again, he's 17 or 18 right? And, he went to school and was friends with Butch's kids. Makes me wonder if he really was committed to Butch Jones as opposed to UT. Someone posted that he probably saw the back to back 9-4's in 2015 and 2016 and thought he could help UT make the next step up to the elite level. That's the only way I can explain his recruiting other kids to come to UT like Trey. Oh well, as Coach Pruitt says, worry about the commits you get, not the ones you wish you could get.

Something odd about it to me. You have all these highly rated guys coming out of Knoxville who claim that they grew up Tennessee fans, even a couple of legacies, and they're going to Clemson of all places. Something smells fishy about the whole situation to me.

Clemson is winning at a high level and its a great destination for kids who want to experience a different atmosphere than where they grew up. Doesn't seem that fishy to me.

Of course they are also getting bags full of cheddar...

I always thought Cade would come back around and look for a reason to go to UT. The program could be radically better in two years and he could be a big part of that. I understand the appeal of other places but home is home.

Their booster club is called IPTAY and they funnel money through some church in the Clemson area in the form of “donations”. The church then gives it to the players. Wish the NCAA didn’t exist so we could just pay these guys the money they deserve up front

I let this breathe a little. You were REAL smug. Explain your mindset. :)

Y'all Bout to be upset. Won't be Pruitt.

Reactions: 1 person
A guy from where i work got to meet Cade Mays this weekend. They were in 2 different groups duck hunting (but not together).
He said Cade was wearing a Georgia hat. Fwiw

You need to take some time off and reset. You have become unrealistically pessimistic.

1) "In trouble" is subjective. Jones didn't do UT any favors on the OL in 5 years. People hated on Dooley for his lack of OL recruiting... but Jones basically used scholarships. Dooley left an NFL caliber OL... not much depth but a head start. Whether Jones recruited good players or not or just stank up development remains to be seen.

Chance Hall if health and Smith are the only two returning players that we know are SEC caliber. Even if Mays signs, UT needs depth in the middle. Going after guys with some development and especially the Cal transfer just makes a ton of sense.

2) See above. You've associated two things that aren't necessarily associated then drawn a conclusion based on that association. UT needs more than one or two guys on the inside. Getting as many of these 3 plus some is important.

BUT... you also have to consider that Pruitt's S&C direction will be different than Jones' was. I suspect they'll be asked to carry more bulk into the season and the strength that comes with it. I also suspect that "pace" on O will be a matter of OL rotation if necessary rather than a sacrifice of power.

Most importantly though... I don't expect a real football coach to use the "techniques" that Jones tried (and failed) to teach UT's OL for 5 years. I expect them to go back to basics and give the OL's more opportunities to be aggressive. If you think Smith was nasty this past year... imagine if they really design the O so he can attack without hesitation.

VN Store

Back