Thunder gets it

No he hasn't. He may not make it because of what the department has went through with the 'AA stuff, but he has in no way quit on UT athletics. It's funny you mention that, because I see fans quitting on UT b-ball, and a BUNCH of bandwagon fans at that.

he hasn't put alot of effort into the last 2 football hires, which the success of that team is the measuring stick of UT sports

So if he cares about UT athletics, he should hire like it

So I guess you fire Johnny in 82 after "losing" to Vandy?

We actually had a winning season in 1982. It was probably Vandy's best season in my lifetime. They were good that year and beat UT on a bomb pass in the 4th quarter. Vandy wasn't very good in 2005

I don't think most fans have a problem with CPF's record through 2004 except for his record with UF but don't be a dope......there was very little if any real support to fire CPF in 2005. He's riding the wave of back2back 10-3 seasons, 2 SECCG in last 5 years and "the" top recruiting class in 05. However, 05 was the start of the decline ...recruiting classes fell apart, player development went south and failing staff....this all became pretty clear to most in 07 even after making to the SECCG. Firing CPF in 08 was the correct time....but that should have happen at the end of the season not after USC game and if it had to happen after the USC game then he SHOULD NOT have been on the sidelines for the remaining games. Part of my beef with MH.

So looking back (hindsight) firing CPF in 05 would have been the right thing to do.......but IMO anyone saying we should have fired CPF in 05 is doing so in hindsight. Since you became a member after CPF was fired it would be hard to know what you thought about CPF before then.

You need to get some facts straight. Fulmer wanted the press conference that week. Fulmer WANTED to remain coach until the end of the year. Fulmer was told it was over. MH told Phillip he could announce it as a retirement effective at the end of the season, but Phillip said NO. Hamilton asked him to resign. Phillip said NO. Phillip begged for another chance. Hamilton said it was too late(a decision made by the BOT, not Hamilton). Fulmer told him Hamilton he would have to fire him. MH did. Phillip wanted to conduct the press conference with Vicky in tow and his players there too. So Hamilton gave in to Phillip and let it happen that way.

No, Kiff hasn't done anything yet! He had the most talent in the pac 10 this year and finished 7-5. He had two first round draft picks his only year on The Hill and won only one more game than CDD. And who in the hell thinks he's a great football mind? That is the first I've heard of that and his teams sure have not shown it.

Well, no, he didn't. Someone turned in a photo of Aaron Craft at Pearl's house. You are not saying it was Kiffin are you? You are right, Kiffin has not proven anything yet, except that he can get one of the best jobs in the CFB world, and he can recruit great players, even to a program on NCAA suspension. But you saying he has not proven anything and then saying Hamilton should have paid him a higher salary (because a larger buyout would have included a higher salary) is contradictory.
Are you saying that you wish Kiffin was still here? Would you want him here knowing that the only reason he didn't leave was because of a buyout?
There is nobody in the CFB world that knows Kiffin that doesn't agree he has a great FB mind, and his recruiting is at the top of the heap. He would have made UT a winner, that Ia m sure of. At what cost? Who knows, but I am glad we won't find out now.
But what is apparent is that in 2 out of three hires, Hamilton hired someone that most people underestimated, and that may be the case with Dooley, yet to be determined.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Just ran into a Tennessee fan, from Charleston in the Red Bar in Grayton Beach, and she was all for Hambone being shown the door as well

Go Vols

I don't think most fans have a problem with CPF's record through 2004 except for his record with UF but don't be a dope......there was very little if any real support to fire CPF in 2005. He's riding the wave of back2back 10-3 seasons, 2 SECCG in last 5 years and "the" top recruiting class in 05. However, 05 was the start of the decline ...recruiting classes fell apart, player development went south and failing staff....this all became pretty clear to most in 07 even after making to the SECCG. Firing CPF in 08 was the correct time....but that should have happen at the end of the season not after USC game and if it had to happen after the USC game then he SHOULD NOT have been on the sidelines for the remaining games. Part of my beef with MH. .

You need to get some facts straight. Fulmer wanted the press conference that week. Fulmer WANTED to remain coach until the end of the year. Fulmer was told it was over. MH told Phillip he could announce it as a retirement effective at the end of the season, but Phillip said NO. Hamilton asked him to resign. Phillip said NO. Phillip begged for another chance. Hamilton said it was too late(a decision made by the BOT, not Hamilton). Fulmer told him Hamilton he would have to fire him. MH did. Phillip wanted to conduct the press conference with Vicky in tow and his players there too. So Hamilton gave in to Phillip and let it happen that way.

Hate to break it to you Chief but what you highlighted is not stated as a fact but is my opinion.

Regarding the events you say are facts to CPF's firing I have to ask who the BOSS is. MH or PF? If PF tells MH he would have to fire him then MH does then PF should have NEVER been on the sidelines for the remaining games.....jmo

Last edited:
We actually had a winning season in 1982. It was probably Vandy's best season in my lifetime. They were good that year and beat UT on a bomb pass in the 4th quarter. Vandy wasn't very good in 2005

Yes....6-5-1...a great 6th season for Johnny.

Big-time donor and former trustee John "Thunder" Thornton told The Chattanooga Times Free Press on Tuesday that the "bigger problem" was Hamilton.

"(Hamilton) cut the legs from (former UT football coach) Phillip (Fulmer), and he did the same thing to Bruce. I cushion that by saying Bruce made mistakes," Thornton told the paper. "If Hamilton is the athletics director, how will any great coach seriously be excited about coming and working under his direction? I believe the university is going to be handicapped as long as the new coach reports to Hamilton."

UT trustees weigh in on the Bruce Pearl firing GoVolsXtra

Hamilton made 3 mistakes

1. Not firing Fulmer in 2005
2. Giving Fulmer a contract extension less than 6 months before he fired him
3. Not making Kiffin's buyout larger

If you think about it, all Hamilton would have had to do was just 1 of these 3 things and he may have actually gotten a mulligan when the Pearl fiasco happened.

I think it just shows the everyone is feed up with him..
Driving through Nashvillle on Monday, and listening to 104.5, not one caller called in supporting Hambone

I think once the NCAA releases the penalties, he will be gone within a week

I think it just shows the everyone is feed up with him..
Driving through Nashvillle on Monday, and listening to 104.5, not one caller called in supporting Hambone

I think once the NCAA releases the penalties, he will be gone within a week

no but I bet there were plenty who still thought Pearl should be employed. Plenty of opinions around

Hate to break it to you Chief but what you highlighted is not stated as a fact but is my opinion.

Regarding the events you say are facts to CPF's firing I have to ask who the BOSS is. MH or PF? If PF tells MH he would have to fire him then MH does then PF should have NEVER been on the sidelines for the remaining games.....jmo

I pretty confident PF thought he was immune from being fired. Sometimes there are concessions that have to be made to appease an outgoing coach.

I pretty confident PF thought he was immune from being fired. Sometimes there are concessions that have to be made to appease an outgoing coach.

If PF thought he was immune then MH failed miserably in his duties to state the expectations of the VOLS football program and his/BOT concerns over the state of the program to PF.....

and any concessions made to a fired HC are usually monetary not picking when their last work day will be.

Hamilton made 3 mistakes

1. Not firing Fulmer in 2005
2. Giving Fulmer a contract extension less than 6 months before he fired him
3. Not making Kiffin's buyout larger

If you think about it, all Hamilton would have had to do was just 1 of these 3 things and he may have actually gotten a mulligan when the Pearl fiasco happened.

I know he upgraded the stadium and all, but I don't like that the prices have gone up.... I mean charging the students, and all the ticket prices going up.

I know he upgraded the stadium and all, but I don't like that the prices have gone up.... I mean charging the students, and all the ticket prices going up.

Pretty much every school charges students for tickets. $10/game isn't too much to ask when the average UT student spends almost $1000/year on booze.

It's ironic that many of the same people who complain about rising ticket prices are the same ones who complain about UT not being willing to spend enough money to hire big name coaches.

It's not a rare occurrence that a coach gets told he's gone after the season but gets to finish it out.

you're right however, look at MH's statements (Oct 12) when asked about his alma mater Clemson firing Tommy Bowden mid-season and replacing him with an interim coach....

“Our traditional model at the University of Tennessee is that we evaluate these kinds of things on a year-end basis,” said Hamilton in an exclusive interview with the News Sentinel on Tuesday and his first public comments in weeks on the subject. “That doesn’t preclude you from doing something different.

“But our typical model is that you let the seasons play out and then you evaluate them appropriately and give the student athletes and coaches their best chance to be successful in any particular year.”

Hamilton not afraid to make coaching change GoVolsXtra

Too bad MH chose not to follow the "traditional" or "typical" UT model of waiting to the end of the season to evaluate a program/HC or to follow Clemson's lead of firing and naming interim HC.

As OP implies MH cut PF and BP legs out from under them by firing them before the end of the season which IMO it did. MH timing created way too much drama.

Last edited:
Pretty much every school charges students for tickets. $10/game isn't too much to ask when the average UT student spends almost $1000/year on booze.

It's ironic that many of the same people who complain about rising ticket prices are the same ones who complain about UT not being willing to spend enough money to hire big name coaches.

Swing and a miss.

As OP implies MH cut PF and BP legs out from under them by firing them before the end of the season which IMO it did. MH timing created way too much drama.

Fulmer was really standing tall before that Wyoming game. It's not like a traditional SEC East doormat just wiped the field with us. Everyone already knew what was happening at the end of the season anyway... except Phil.

Too bad MH chose not to follow the "traditional" or "typical" UT model of waiting to the end of the season to evaluate a program/HC or to follow Clemson's lead of firing and naming interim HC.

What Hamilton did to Pearl was idiotic.

What Hamilton did to Fulmer allowed people to show up and pay respect to him in his last game at Neyland. It wasn't rocket science that Fulmer couldn't go 0-4 against UF, UGA, Bama and USCe and retain his job.

What Hamilton did to Pearl was idiotic.

What Hamilton did to Fulmer allowed people to show up and pay respect to him in his last game at Neyland. It wasn't rocket science that Fulmer couldn't go 0-4 against UF, UGA, Bama and USCe and retain his job.

Agree on BP. Not sure if Phil got much respect that last game and even though I find it to be a weak argument it is about the only one I would buy for MH not naming an interim.

MH says one thing then does something else which is terrible trait for a AD.

VN Store

Back