Thunder gets it

Bro what are you smoking? Yes, Muschamp turned down UT, and then he took the FLA job. And that is Hamilton's fault how? FLA is a better job, apparent to everyone not wearing orange. You can recruit on a bicycle. Also, the timing was horrible. To late in the process, and frankly before Muschamp realize that he was a long ways ff from ever actually becoming the HC at Texas. Thus, Dooley was about the best option we had, in hindisght better then most thought with potential to be a great hire.
As far as Kiffin being a bad hire, under what criteria? The fact that he drew NCAA attention and then left, absolutely. What if we hired a mid major, we ended up recruiting outside the top 30 for 2 years, loosing to Vandy and Kentucky, but he was still here and the NCAA sent us roses? Would you be happy then? At the time, Hamilton took a chance on someone who he thought had the potential to run a winning program. The university of southern california endorses that belief. After Fulmer was let go, we needed someone to make some noise and excite the fan base, which we got, agreeably with a cost. We are where we are now, but playing monday morning QB and ignoring what the situation was at the time is disingenuous.

i wasn't commenting on us not being able to land muschamp. i was commenting on hammy's inability to run a coaching search quietly. it was an embarrassment every time we got publicly rejected. you didn't see that happen at florida. they were tight lipped on the whole process and then hired a guy not many saw coming.

beyond that, kiffin was, flat out, a terrible hire. i don't care if it is in hindsight. he took a torch to our football program, and to the entire athletic department to a lesser degree. any athletic director with half a brain should have recognized kiffin's moral ambiguity from the get go and kept him on a short leash. hamilton failed miserably there. if you want to hang your hat on the laurels or mike hamilton then, by all means, go right ahead. it will only expose you as a fool to those of us with logic.

before you try to come back and say i am a pearl or fulmer homer, go back and read anything i've ever posted on either subject. i've maintained pearl should have been let go in september since this all began. also, i will freely admit i liked the kiffin hire when it was made. however, i wasn't privy to the information about kiffin's character and history (maybe i was perhaps blinded by my love for the vols) that hamilton was. as the AD, hamilton should have known what kiffin was about and been prepared to control him or never make the hire. hamilton is pathetic and inept.

Hahahaha way to go OP. You've just red flagged yourself to everyone with an IQ above 60 that you need to be on an ignore list.

Got any other out of touch millionaires you'd like to champion to us?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Why...thank you very much....I agree whole-heartedly with the thread title...

Oh wait...you were talking about Thunder Thorton

Hahahaha way to go OP. You've just red flagged yourself to everyone with an IQ above 60 that you need to be on an ignore list.

Got any other out of touch millionaires you'd like to champion to us?

not interested in a former trustee's thoughts on the matter..don't read it

The timing in the way the information came out on both Fulmer and Pearl was on Hamilton and not handled very well. It handed us the motivation to go and get an embarrassing loss in football and in basketball. The buyout while it probably wouldn't have kept Kiffen from leaving if it was higher it would have just felt better knowing that they had to pay a little more for running out on us after one year. Example the Rich Rodriguez buyout he had to pay West VA when he ran off to Michigan.

Fulmer needed to go his time was up, his passion dwindled season by season.

After the reports of pearl coming out now that he committed even more violations says he needs to go now and I am a huge pearl supporter.

Hamilton is incompetent to run as AD, his pitiful buyout and hire of kiffin is a joke. He should of fired pearl before season not hold his hand up until the alter and then run out on him.

Oh but Hamilton is a good fundraiser :p

you are right but he did not need to be told before the season was up....same thing happen to pearl...who would want to come in and coach if you have a good chance of being canned in the middle of a season?

you are right but he did not need to be told before the season was up....same thing happen to pearl...who would want to come in and coach if you have a good chance of being canned in the middle of a season?

sorry not a bb thread
:loco:

right Hamilton has an issue with the timing of his actions that leads to the perception of being incompetent

and unfortuantely perception is reality

Hey quick question, how does thunder makes his nickles? Is he a big buisness dude? Sorry for not knowing, but I've only heard of him on here.

Hey quick question, how does thunder makes his nickles? Is he a big buisness dude? Sorry for not knowing, but I've only heard of him on here.

Carpet biz & land development.....Thunder Enterprises

The timing in the way the information came out on both Fulmer and Pearl was on Hamilton and not handled very well. It handed us the motivation to go and get an embarrassing loss in football and in basketball. The buyout while it probably wouldn't have kept Kiffen from leaving if it was higher it would have just felt better knowing that they had to pay a little more for running out on us after one year. Example the Rich Rodriguez buyout he had to pay West VA when he ran off to Michigan.

Kiffin didn't pay UT a dime. Jerry Buss, the owner of the Lakers, paid the buyout for him. A $10 million buyout wouldn't have kept him from leaving.

Kiffin didn't pay UT a dime. Jerry Buss, the owner of the Lakers, paid the buyout for him. A $10 million buyout wouldn't have kept him from leaving.

no but it would have at least shown that Hamilton, put some thought into the contract to try and keep him

Quoted from ESPN article:

John "Thunder" Thornton

School ties: University of Tennessee (Tennessee Wesleyan, Class of '75)
Wealth: N/A
How made money: Residential development. Started out selling knockoff rugs, eventually selling to Mohawk Industries in 1993 for $34 million.
How much donated: N/A
School song/cheer: "Rocky Top"
Braggin' Rights: Sits on the University of Tennessee board of trustees, which oversee the state's major colleges. ... Longtime football coach Phillip Fulmer counts him among his best friends. Thornton is also tight with Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt. ... Behind-the-scenes player in Fulmer's bid to uncover dirt on Alabama football program.
The Buzz: After selling his rug company, "Thunder" gave $1 million to Tennessee for the chance to run with the football team through the "Power T" formed by the marching band during a game at Neyland Stadium. Money went toward an athletic student life center -- the Thornton Center. ... His Chattanooga home, a log-style Wyoming lodge design, is so massive it's called "Thunderdome."

sure you did...and UT should fire every coach after their first losing season.

The fact that you couldn't see that Fulmer was completely in over his head in the SEC post-2000 speaks volumes for you.

VN Store

Back