Thunder gets it

He recognizes that Hamilton's a problem for UT

His comments, in public, are an even bigger problem for UT. What kind of ****ing moron undercuts the athletic department in the process of making a decision that will affect the program for years? He is bitter about Phil and opened his fat yap.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

no worse than Hambone runnig his Yap prior to the tournament..
or the rest of the media, that's going of on the AD's incompetence

Big-time donor and former trustee John "Thunder" Thornton told The Chattanooga Times Free Press on Tuesday that the "bigger problem" was Hamilton.

"(Hamilton) cut the legs from (former UT football coach) Phillip (Fulmer), and he did the same thing to Bruce. I cushion that by saying Bruce made mistakes," Thornton told the paper. "If Hamilton is the athletics director, how will any great coach seriously be excited about coming and working under his direction? I believe the university is going to be handicapped as long as the new coach reports to Hamilton."

UT trustees weigh in on the Bruce Pearl firing GoVolsXtra

I might respect his view a bit more if -

a) he wasn't the main booster/trustee pushing for Hamilton to originally be hired as AD, and

b) thought he was a great AD until November 2008 and for some reason his tune quickly changed.

Oh, it is much worse. At worst, Hamilton's comments affected one game that we may have lost anyway. These comments from a large donor could have a negative impact for years.

Hammy never came out and said that Pearl was going to be fired, and Hammy was Pearl's biggest supporter. If people are going to blame Hammy for the loss, then he should get credit for the 7-0 start as well. Can't have it both ways. People read into that interview WAY too much, even if the comments were ill-timed, but had nothing to do with the loss. The players quit on Pearl, plain and simple, except Tobias and two others.

and hambone has quit on UT athletic's

No he hasn't. He may not make it because of what the department has went through with the 'AA stuff, but he has in no way quit on UT athletics. It's funny you mention that, because I see fans quitting on UT b-ball, and a BUNCH of bandwagon fans at that.

The same Thunder Thornton, who reneged on paying Fulmer's buyout, wants the guy who fired his business partner, gone. Gee...how revealing.

Thunder Thornton is an idiot. Who cares what he thinks or says.

Fulmer should have been fired after his first loosing season in 2005. The program needed a kick in the pants after that loss to Vanderbilt.

So I guess you fire Johnny in 82 after "losing" to Vandy?

The fact that you couldn't see that Fulmer was completely in over his head in the SEC post-2000 speaks volumes for you.

and the fact that you think UT didn't field any good teams post-2000 speaks volumes about you

If Thunder "got it" he'd be in Indianapolis writing checks and not in Chatty running his neck.

He's butt hurt over Fulmer, and is going to use any excuse To throw Hamilton under the bus - warranted or not.

The fact that you couldn't see that Fulmer was completely in over his head in the SEC post-2000 speaks volumes for you.

The implication is clearly regarding the quality of Fulmer’s coaching ability and not the quality of the teams.

Ok I will give on that point but the poster states as fact something about that could not be inferred by any of my post in this thread.

Your ability to comprehend my statements is on par with your ability to judge coaching.

Since I didn't make any post on CPF's coaching ability I would say your ability to jump to a conclusion is equal with your power of hindsight.

Since I didn't make any post on CPF's coaching ability I would say your ability to jump to a conclusion is equal with your power of hindsight.

You clearly didn't think he should have been fired in 2005 when it was blatantly obvious and had been for a while that Fulmer could not match wits against the better coaches in the conference. He got away with it to some degree for the first 8 years of his time at UT except for the only real competent coach in the SEC, which he went 3-7 against.

All of that to say that when you obviously thought he shouldn't have been let go in 2005 and then call me out on it, then you cannot judge coaching ability.

Last edited:
You clearly didn't think he should have been fired in 2005 when it was blatantly obvious and had been for a while that Fulmer could not match wits against the better coaches in the conference. He got away with it to some degree for the first 8 years of his time at UT except for the only real competent coach in the SEC, which he went 3-7 against.

All of that to say that when you obviously thought he shouldn't have been let go in 2005 and then call me out on it, then you cannot judge coaching ability.

I don't think most fans have a problem with CPF's record through 2004 except for his record with UF but don't be a dope......there was very little if any real support to fire CPF in 2005. He's riding the wave of back2back 10-3 seasons, 2 SECCG in last 5 years and "the" top recruiting class in 05. However, 05 was the start of the decline ...recruiting classes fell apart, player development went south and failing staff....this all became pretty clear to most in 07 even after making to the SECCG. Firing CPF in 08 was the correct time....but that should have happen at the end of the season not after USC game and if it had to happen after the USC game then he SHOULD NOT have been on the sidelines for the remaining games. Part of my beef with MH.

So looking back (hindsight) firing CPF in 05 would have been the right thing to do.......but IMO anyone saying we should have fired CPF in 05 is doing so in hindsight. Since you became a member after CPF was fired it would be hard to know what you thought about CPF before then.

Last edited:
I don't think most fans have a problem with CPF's record through 2004 except for his record with UF but don't be a dope......there was very little if any real support to fire CPF in 2005. He's riding the wave of back2back 10-3 seasons, 2 SECCG in last 5 years and "the" top recruiting class in 05. However, 05 was the start of the decline ...recruiting classes fell apart, player development went south and failing staff....this all became pretty clear to most in 07 even after making to the SECCG. Firing CPF in 08 was the correct time....but that should have happen at the end of the season not after USC game and if it had to happen after the USC game then he SHOULD NOT have been on the sidelines for the remaining games. Part of my beef with MH.

So looking back (hindsight) firing CPF in 05 would have been the right thing to do.......but IMO anyone saying we should have fired CPF in 05 is doing so in hindsight. Since you became a member after CPF was fired it would be hard to know what you thought about CPF before then.

It didn't take a brain surgeon to notice the coaches that he feasted against for years. I saw the writing on the wall when the SEC got serious about its hires, and I'm sorry you didn't.

It didn't take a brain surgeon to notice the coaches that he feasted against for years. I saw the writing on the wall when the SEC got serious about its hires, and I'm sorry you didn't.

pretty easy for you to say that without any posts on VN to back it up chief.....so I'll stick with it being hindsight

Last edited:

VN Store

Back