This is why the 2020 season is unlikely to go forward

The SEC is playing. Why? You know that we are playing HS football right now,.... while the HS kids have on-line classes, right? They can go on-line, they can be political, they can say its about safety, they can tell us we are all going to die,.... but they will play these games. Just like the NBA, NFL, MLB NASCAR and others, there is way too much money on the line. Big 10 is getting destroyed right now as we speak.

This will never end until enough young people get the China virus to achieve herd immunity which will in turn make it safer for older people. [/QUOTE said:
This only works if we actually end up with durable antibodies that remain long term. The verdict on that is very much out. No one knows, the science is inconclusive. Also, there are three distinct strains going around. The question of whether antibodies from Strain A provide immunity/immune response to Strain B is likewise undecided.

So, while herd immunity is a neat idea - there's absolutely no guarantee is is possible with this particular virus. Best hope is to figure out treatment so that when people get it you go to Walgreens and get the course of Covid drugs to reduce fatality rate to .01%, like the flu.

This is a nasty one, and bizarre. I am 36. I know one guy who died from it (34. two months before his wedding) another guy who had complications resulting in crazy clotting and had both legs amputated. I have a friend from NC who got it, and didn't have bad symptoms, but a month later discovered that she had bad cardiomyopathy (heart swollen and inflamed), and learned it will never go away. Prognosis is good, but there is a high risk of an early death due to Covid side effects. In short, she may never meet her grandkids, because of a heart attack 30 years later.

So, herd immunity is maybe possible, but we don't know. Also, fatalities are only one possible negative outcome.

You can hate WaPo all you want, but UNC is CLOSED regardless of what you or anyone else thinks is real or is not real. Last time I checked UNC had some pretty smart people there who are unaffiliated with the Washington Post and have no political motivation to close an entire university.

Well they do have a democrat governor.

I'm amazed at the Frign Ignorance here with the covid!! I want everyone to pass away lying on their bed with family and loved ones around them but seriously guys.... look at the numbers!!
We now have 4 million cases of COVID-19, only 56 million more to go to reach the same numbers as H1N1 (Swine Flu) in 2009; were we did nothing. 60.4 million cases in the U.S. alone. More numbers for you.

Last edited:
At least that survival rate. But since a VERY large number of infections have gone unreported and particularly among the young who usually have mild or no symptoms... the survival rate is likely much higher than that- probably 99.9981%.

I think that's approaching struck by lightning probability.

I know several young people who have had corona. They were only tested cause their work wanted them to be tested. They came back positive and they all told me, they would have went on to work if they weren't told to stay home for 14 days. One mowed their yard, another cleaned out their large garage, another painted the inside of their house. Many are testing positive with no symptoms at all. So I agree with you; the ones I know that are younger would not have been tested if their work had not told them to, so how many more who work at other places have had it and not been tested, which brings the fatality rate down very much. Protect the older ones and those with underlying health issues and let the rest continue on with their lives. Teacher's and coaches, wear protective mask that protects them n95 mask which can be obtained very easily now. I bought 6 today and they had very many in stock, and told me they had no trouble getting them.

We now have 4 million cases of COVID-19, only 56 million more to go to reach the same numbers as H1N1 (Swine Flu) in 2009; were we did nothing. More numbers for you. 60.4 million cases in the U.S. alone.

Can't seem to get some to understand it is political, when in doubt check who the governors of most of the states are in the big ten, and pac 12. Then check sec, acc, and big 12. I know corona is real and it is deadly to those who have underlying health conditions, and we need to protect them, which can be done without lock downs.

Exactly just teachers and professors being themselves

Well if that's the case and I'm sure it is. Wear mask and they would be protected; if mask really work, and if they don't work stop telling everyone to wear them. Students wear a mask in the presence of faculty and they won't get it.

Reactions: 508mikey
I mean they would have to be.

In California there have been 212,847 people between the ages of 18-34 who have contracted the virus. Only 160 deaths. No way those 160 deaths were your everyday healthy people because if it did kill healthy young people we would see more than 160 deaths.
CA has another problem worse than most of the country. Air pollution. The amount of PM 2.5 has been directly associated to fatality rates for Covid. Other places have bad air but LA's air is uniquely bad.

Auto exhaust related pollution is also linked to asthma and other lung related diseases.... which also make Covid worse.

Reactions: Remy
CA has another problem worse than most of the country. Air pollution. The amount of PM 2.5 has been directly associated to fatality rates for Covid. Other places have bad air but LA's air is uniquely bad.

Auto exhaust related pollution is also linked to asthma and other lung related diseases.... which also make Covid worse.
I actually can't find any studies that say having asmtha will make you more or less likely to die. If anything you might be more protected because of the medicine one takes for asthma.

Given the way this forums seems to be moving I wouldn't be surprised if more posters thought it more likely that aliens and mole men are spreading the coronavirus to shut down college football.

This pretty much says it all. There’s no benefit to any sort of information about anything any more. Satire is no longer possible.

You can hate WaPo all you want, but UNC is CLOSED regardless of what you or anyone else thinks is real or is not real. Last time I checked UNC had some pretty smart people there who are unaffiliated with the Washington Post and have no political motivation to close an entire university.
Trust me. UNC has plenty of political motivation.

Having lived in LA from '96 thru 2008, you can literally see the pollution if you're at any sort of elevation. It's wonderful there the day following a good rain though, the sky has been literally washed when that occurs.

Reactions: joevol24
I actually can't find any studies that say having asmtha will make you more or less likely to die. If anything you might be more protected because of the medicine one takes for asthma.
You may be right. There was an article recently saying that some lung diseases actually help with Covid because they involve some faulty receptors. Generally though according to CDC's comortality matrix pre-existing lung issues contribute to deaths with Covid.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
The season won’t make it to week 2 write it down
If it doesn't... then football should be cancelled permanently. Kids get the flu every football season. Some get pneumonia. Some likely spread it to someone who eventually spreads it to someone who dies.

For the ages in question with their health condition, this is NOT a high risk virus. I understand no one wants to deal with bad publicity or legal issues. But the "science" of this does not justify a shutdown.

Reactions: Kdbnab1 and Remy
Washington Post can speak.. most don't listen... When the ROCK speaks, YOU LISTEN:

View attachment 300573

You shouldn't always listen to The Rock. Take The Rock with a grain of salt just to be safe.

rock.jpg

VN Store

Back