This is why the 2020 season is unlikely to go forward

You can hate WaPo all you want, but UNC is CLOSED regardless of what you or anyone else thinks is real or is not real. Last time I checked UNC had some pretty smart people there who are unaffiliated with the Washington Post and have no political motivation to close an entire university.

Interesting. Now that they have gotten the students onto campus, enrolled and in class, NOW switch to distance-learning at the very first sign of the virus.

See, a lot of college kids have been wondering through the spring and summer if they should just save the big tuition bills and switch to a cheap online college to finish up, what with Covid and all. What kept a lot of them from making that switch was their university going forward with face-to-face classes.

I find UNC's timing convenient.

If you're a major university, and you really want to do in-class instruction, wouldn't you have a modified plan that keeps SOME classroom instruction, SOME of the time, after outbreaks emerge? I mean, not anticipating students getting the virus in bunches would be incredibly naive.

I don't think these universities are naive. I do think they are sometimes calculating and manipulative. As UNC has just proven.

For shame, Tarheels.
That’s how most universities are doing it lol dunno how UNC didn’t figure it out

This actually increases the likelihood of college football being played. Most students will go home. Some, probably mostly foreign students will stay on campus. Will be easier to isolate football players and they will not be exposed to other students because of online classes and less students being in Chapel Hill.
So football players won't need to go to class at all?

You can hate WaPo all you want, but UNC is CLOSED regardless of what you or anyone else thinks is real or is not real. Last time I checked UNC had some pretty smart people there who are unaffiliated with the Washington Post and have no political motivation to close an entire university.

Highly educated dumb people...

I called my folks the other day. They were going to school when there wasn’t a measles vaccine, polio vaccine, and who knows what else.

As soon as I saw kids riding skateboards and bicycles with helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads, I knew we were in trouble as a people.

We’re so risk averse, someone who eats an apple without washing it off is now regarded as a hardcore badass.

Last edited:
I recognize that you can't send everyone home except for football players and claim that they're still student athletes. This is, of course, one of the many reasons why a bubble approach to the season was never realistic.

But, is it permissible to permit students to live on-campus (so that they don't miss out on the college experience, or whatever, especially for freshman) yet pivot to all or mostly virtual classes? If so, and I believe that this is the case, every school that is serious about playing college football this fall needs to follow UNC's lead immediately. Tons of students will retreat from campus (I get that plenty of upperclassmen have signed leases, but they won't be physically on campus at this point) and the number of people with whom athletes (and the remaining students) have interaction during "normal" school hours will plummet. At that point, it's really up to your teams to make sure that they aren't hanging out at bars and parties if they truly want to play this fall.

I would imagine COVID would just as easily spread through a dorm or apartment complex the same as it would spread through a retirement home.

The in-person classroom issue is only part of the issue. You also have what happens when the kids arent in class. Huge populations of folks in bars etc. It really doesnt matter if you catch it from class or a bar near class I guess.

Last time I checked there are numerous colleges who are currently still functioning normally in NC who aren’t closing down in class...... so.... yeah UNC overreacting and obviously didn’t plan well for bringing students back.

I called my folks the other day. They were going to school when there wasn’t a measles vaccine, polio vaccine, and who knows what else.

As soon as I saw kids riding skateboards and bicycles with helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads, I knew we were in trouble as a people.

We’re so risk aversive, someone who eats an apple without washing it off is now regarded as a hardcore badass.

I once ate a steak right off the side of a cow.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
OK. One more time just for old times sake. Kids go back to college and Holy S@*t, a virus spreads - not to mention other certain diseases, but I digress. Now here is the really important question - follow along in your workbooks please - what happened to them after they tested positive - were they hospitalized, are they now in an ICU, are they dead? And if the answer is yes to any of these, did they have any underlying conditions that predisposed them to contracting the virus? Likely not. Since the WaPo doesn't seem to know how to do real reporting where an event is described and the outcome of the event is further described to give the initial comments about said event some context and perspective, then all of this is completely worthless. Show us how many of these UNC undergrads tested positive, how many re-tested to eliminate the false positives and what their status is post-diagnosis/testing positive and then I'll think we have something to discuss. If 90 out of every 100 could still go to class or are symptom free - where will that group be in two weeks? On Franklin Street partying - they will be, trust me. "The public university has about 20,000 undergraduates and 10,000 graduate students. This month it is housing about 5,800 students in campus housing" and 177 have tested positive and we know nothing about their status. Tell us about their status and then we have news - short of that, it's a huge steaming pile of manure. Short of all that, I say we beat USCe by 17. GBO. VFL.

We’re so risk aversive, someone who eats an apple without washing it off is now regarded as a hardcore badass.
Last part is funny

Nothing wrong with being risk averse, as long as you understand you are reducing risk that you can never eliminate. And as such, there is such a thing as being way too risk averse.

I've had some eye opening discussions with people since this started. I call some of them "never deathers". There are people that seem to believe no one ever dies unless they or someone else made a bad decision.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
he in-person classroom issue is only part of the issue. You also have what happens when the kids arent in class. Huge populations of folks in bars etc. It really doesnt matter if you catch it from class or a bar near class I guess.

I agree that eschewing (or severely limiting) in-person classes is only part of the issue, but it gets the vast majority of your student body away from campus. You have to permit students to remain on campus if they so choose to keep up the illusion that you're not making a bubble for the athletes, but that's fine because how many kids who aren't international students or very maladjusted freshmen are going to take you up on that offer? The bars and off-campus housing are still an issue as I would imagine getting out of those leases would prove difficult for students, though there's no way to completely eradicate the threat of COVID-19 for the team while maintaining the student-athlete charade.

Making classes online-only and reminding athletes who are unwilling to abstain from off-campus parties that they can opt out will go a long way towards ensuring a season can occur.

Reactions: FBtime
You lost me at Washington Post.

They want everything and everyone shut down completely. They want you, me and everyone else scared to death.

I’m not playing along.
You don't have to be scared. Just wear a mask, back up off people, and wash your hands. That doesn't make you scared. Thats what stops the spread. These college kids aren't worried about it and they are spreading it like wildfire. They (and no-maskers) are going to be why we might not get football.

Reactions: 12 Monkeys
OK. One more time just for old times sake. Kids go back to college and Holy S@*t, a virus spreads - not to mention other certain diseases, but I digress. Now here is the really important question - follow along in your workbooks please - what happened to them after they tested positive - were they hospitalized, are they now in an ICU, are they dead? And if the answer is yes to any of these, did they have any underlying conditions that predisposed them to contracting the virus? Likely not. Since the WaPo doesn't seem to know how to do real reporting where an event is described and the outcome of the event is further described to give the initial comments about said event some context and perspective, then all of this is completely worthless. Show us how many of these UNC undergrads tested positive, how many re-tested to eliminate the false positives and what their status is post-diagnosis/testing positive and then I'll think we have something to discuss. If 90 out of every 100 could still go to class or are symptom free - where will that group be in two weeks? On Franklin Street partying - they will be, trust me. "The public university has about 20,000 undergraduates and 10,000 graduate students. This month it is housing about 5,800 students in campus housing" and 177 have tested positive and we know nothing about their status. Tell us about their status and then we have news - short of that, it's a huge steaming pile of manure. Short of all that, I say we beat USCe by 17. GBO. VFL.

If you read the article it made it clear that the concern was raised by the faculty and staff for their safety, not the safety of the kids.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I am not a WAPO fan but the facts are what they are. One week in and UNC has pulled the plug on in person classes. Doesn't bode well for playing ball this fall. Once the colleges start sending the students home, football season is done.

Here is the same information from a local TV affiliate. UNC-Chapel Hill halting in-person classes as campus coronavirus crisis grows :: WRAL.com

I’m all for sending everyone home and learning virtually and keeping team on campus to play ball. Academics have been overrated since the beginning of time

Reactions: Kdbnab1
This actually increases the likelihood of college football being played. Most students will go home. Some, probably mostly foreign students will stay on campus. Will be easier to isolate football players and they will not be exposed to other students because of online classes and less students being in Chapel Hill.

Yes, I think from a "protecting the players" standpoint you are likely correct. But, I am highly doubtful that universities will endorse requiring football players to be on campus after they have concluded it is not safe for the general student population to be there. JMHO.

Reactions: johnsonbrewer
So they had 177 positives out of a population of 30,000 students (0.59% positive rate) and they canceled classes. Remember when we shut down the country for two weeks to “flatten the curve”, which then eventually became nobody is allowed to test positive without shutting everything down?!? We will continue to have positive test results until the virus is eliminated. Eliminating this virus via vaccine will not happen this year and may not ever happen. Once a vaccine is approved, imagine the lead time to generate over 7,800,000,000 doses.

I am not saying UNC Is right or wrong, I am just making the observation that if more colleges start pulling the plug on in person classes and start sending students home, it is unlikely football will go forward.

The problem with this logic is that athletes still equal students. If you're sending all the students home but forcing football players to stay, this will not be viewed well (or legal?)

Last time I checked there are numerous colleges who are currently still functioning normally in NC who aren’t closing down in class...... so.... yeah UNC overreacting and obviously didn’t plan well for bringing students back.
So you think this won't happen at other universities? I think that is whistling past the graveyard. It's going to happen at virtually every campus. Whether particular schools close or not will depend on a lot of things, including their risk tolerance.

Reactions: johnsonbrewer
The problem with this logic is that athletes still equal students. If you're sending all the students home but forcing football players to stay, this will not be viewed well (or legal?)
I think that scenario is very very unlikely. No way administrators decide (rightly or wrongly) that it's unsafe for the general student population to be on campus, but the football team has to be there. Legal, I don't know, but it would make for a very hard to defend argument if a player who stays on campus is infected and suffers significant repercussions.

VN Store

Back