This is why the 2020 season is unlikely to go forward

You lost me at Washington Post.

They want everything and everyone shut down completely. They want you, me and everyone else scared to death.

I’m not playing along.
I am not a WAPO fan but the facts are what they are. One week in and UNC has pulled the plug on in person classes. Doesn't bode well for playing ball this fall. Once the colleges start sending the students home, football season is done.

Here is the same information from a local TV affiliate. UNC-Chapel Hill halting in-person classes as campus coronavirus crisis grows :: WRAL.com

I am not a WAPO fan but the facts are what they are. One week in and UNC has pulled the plug on in person classes. Doesn't bode well for playing ball this fall. Once the colleges start sending the students home, football season is done.

Here is the same information from a local TV affiliate. UNC-Chapel Hill halting in-person classes as campus coronavirus crisis grows :: WRAL.com

I'd say most colleges need the money too badly, to do that.

Mix in some common sense with the college age group and this virus and there should be no need to send home.

Interesting. Now that they have gotten the students onto campus, enrolled and in class, NOW switch to distance-learning at the very first sign of the virus.

See, a lot of college kids have been wondering through the spring and summer if they should just save the big tuition bills and switch to a cheap online college to finish up, what with Covid and all. What kept a lot of them from making that switch was their university going forward with face-to-face classes.

I find UNC's timing convenient.

If you're a major university, and you really want to do in-class instruction, wouldn't you have a modified plan that keeps SOME classroom instruction, SOME of the time, after outbreaks emerge? I mean, not anticipating students getting the virus in bunches would be incredibly naive.

I don't think these universities are naive. I do think they are sometimes calculating and manipulative. As UNC has just proven.

For shame, Tarheels.

I'm not saying that this won't happen and I'm not saying that you are wrong, but NC has been VERY slow to move forward in opening things back up, and they decided over a month ago not to have in person classes in the grade schools. They have been and continue to be VERY cautious towards opening up the NC economy also. I'm also not saying that they are wrong in taking this approach - only pointing out that they are. I'm not surprised that they pulled the plug after one week - I'm more surprised that they every plugged it in in the first place.

How many of you actually read the article? Do you actually dispute anything in there? Maybe in your universe UNC didn't shut down classes after a surge of infections? Good lord go and debate policy, otherwise no need for some random attack on a news article, not even an opinion piece.

I know you didn't start a thread with a Washington Post link...National Enquirer didn't have anything to say?

Given the way this forums seems to be moving I wouldn't be surprised if more posters thought it more likely that aliens and mole men are spreading the coronavirus to shut down college football.

Truth is young people don’t take the precautions seriously. Even with almost all of Nashville shut down, over 500 young people go to a house party a few weeks ago. I don’t suspect other college towns to be any different than UNC by Labor Day.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
This actually increases the likelihood of college football being played. Most students will go home. Some, probably mostly foreign students will stay on campus. Will be easier to isolate football players and they will not be exposed to other students because of online classes and less students being in Chapel Hill.

This actually increases the likelihood of college football being played. Most students will go home. Some, probably mostly foreign students will stay on campus. Will be easier to isolate football players and they will not be exposed to other students because of online classes and less students being in Chapel Hill.
you make to much sense :)

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I recognize that you can't send everyone home except for football players and claim that they're still student athletes. This is, of course, one of the many reasons why a bubble approach to the season was never realistic.

But, is it permissible to permit students to live on-campus (so that they don't miss out on the college experience, or whatever, especially for freshman) yet pivot to all or mostly virtual classes? If so, and I believe that this is the case, every school that is serious about playing college football this fall needs to follow UNC's lead immediately. Tons of students will retreat from campus (I get that plenty of upperclassmen have signed leases, but they won't be physically on campus at this point) and the number of people with whom athletes (and the remaining students) have interaction during "normal" school hours will plummet. At that point, it's really up to your teams to make sure that they aren't hanging out at bars and parties if they truly want to play this fall.

So they had 177 positives out of a population of 30,000 students (0.59% positive rate) and they canceled classes. Remember when we shut down the country for two weeks to “flatten the curve”, which then eventually became nobody is allowed to test positive without shutting everything down?!? We will continue to have positive test results until the virus is eliminated. Eliminating this virus via vaccine will not happen this year and may not ever happen. Once a vaccine is approved, imagine the lead time to generate over 7,800,000,000 doses.

I'm amazed at the Frign Ignorance here with the covid!! I want everyone to pass away lying on their bed with family and loved ones around them but seriously guys.... look at the numbers!!

I disagree, this isbt a negative for football this season imo. They will do their own little bubble and go forward with football.

VN Store

Back