This is looking like a Va. Tech Class

Who is Alabama going to prepare and play better for? (1) A game in mid-season vs big rival with national championship hopes on the line. (2) MWC team in a meaningless bowl game? With solid depth, we could occasionally sneak up on teams in bowl games when that team has far greater expectations. If that same MWC team met Alabama in mid-season form, they would be dealt with accordingly.

Teams have way more time to prepare for bowl games. When did the Sugar Bowl become a meaningless game? Its part of the Bowl Series.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Dude you seriously need to give it up. You obviously don't understand anything about football or building a program.

Right......you said the 3*'s could not be built around......yet the players I mentioned were some of the best players on the team......I think your brain has star-rot..... :eek:lol:

Javier Arenas = 3 stars
Mount Cody = 3 stars
Marcel Dareus = 3 stars
Marquis Maze = 3 stars
Greg McElroy = 3 stars
Glenn Coffee = 3 stars

Yeah, you're right!! It would really suck to have a whole team full of those guys........:crazy:

you are wasting your breath trying to level with that guy

as an outsider, i agree with some of the other guys...tennessee should never be satisfied with virginia tech type recruiting classes. that is a recipe for mediocrity if you are a SEC member.

Now that's classic, a Notre Dame fan wanting to discuss mediocrity.... Join a conference.

star ratings are an educated guess.

same as the nfl draft is an educated guess. sometimes terrell davis and tom brady get selected in the 6th round. a whole bunch of players you never heard of were also taken in the 6th round.

peyton manning was the first overall pick. so was jamarcus russell.

recruiting and the draft are an inexact science.

despite how inexact the science is, it's not so off base that you see teams with poorly ranked recruiting classes full of 3* win championships and you don't win super bowls with a bunch of 6th rounders.

How does beating a 7-5 Tennessee team in a bowl game prove that Virginia Tech could win an SEC Title or even compete for one?

Who said it does??

You're turning this into something it's not. I think the main point is that this class is shaping up like a VT class, talent and (yes I'll say the dreaded phrase) character wise.

I haven't read where it was posted that anyone wants these classes back to back. We see what Bama and Florida are pulling in year after year. Fact of the matter is we can't do that right now.

So for now why not be a little excited about pulling in some underrated guys who just may bump up in the rankings and hopefully make all you star gazers get wood.

And I'm not saying VA Tech would compete perenially for the SEC title but they have had some teams in the past that may have gotten there.

I like the guys on here that say that UT should never be satisfied with 3* recruits. What the hell should we do? We should make 5* recruits sign at gun point. Go cheer for another team because, unfortunately, UT doesn't have 5*s begging to run through the T right now. It is halarious when people say this is unacceptable and that is unacceptable. What can you do about it? All you can do is hope that CDD is an excellent evaluator of talent, and that we win enough this year to pull a couple of 4-5*s in February. If anybody out there is a great recruiter (out of work used car salesman?), CDD will take your resume. Until then just relax, and hope for the best because no amount of whining is going to win UT the championship that "you" are entitled to.

Who says a 3* on the roster isn't okay? You're missing the point, which is you cannot build an entire recruiting class around 3* guys and expect to be successful in the SEC. Sure Alabama has plenty of 3*'s on their roster, but they don't build entire recruiting classes around only those guys.

So we closed out this years recruiting class? We dont have any more schollies to hand out? Good info.

If you'll look at the ratings, on rivals anyway, most of our 3 star guys are rated 5.5 or 5.6 and a lot of the guys just above them that are 4 star are rated 5.8, that's not a big difference. I keep repeating myself but high school football hasn't even started yet. If a kid is rated 5.6 as a jr he will more than likely end up a 5.8 or better which would put him at 4 stars. Barring injury of course. Just get these ratings outta your heads right now, they will change within the next 6 months.

One game. Not the same as an entire SEC season.

have to disagree, after seeing Vtech in the chikin bowl,,, i would say they would beat us 5 out of 5 times. I saw first hand the look of shock on Monte's face and the frustration on big Ed's face. Kiff,,he just looked stupid.

have to disagree, after seeing Vtech in the chikin bowl,,, i would say they would beat us 5 out of 5 times. I saw first hand the look of shock on Monte's face and the frustration on big Ed's face. Kiff,,he just looked stupid.

Tennessee is about the 10th most talented team in the SEC right now. Beating a team of crappy Fulmer leftovers proves nothing.

Tennessee is about the 10th most talented team in the SEC right now. Beating a team of crappy Fulmer leftovers proves nothing.

our 6 draftees says they weren't crappy.

yea, now we aren't talented, but we had some talent last year and alot more than VT did.

yea, now we aren't talented, but we had some talent last year and alot more than VT did.

you know better than this. 6 draftees (one a flyer of a choice) around a bunch of underclassmen and walk ons doesn't rate high in the kind of talent depth needed to win.

that's kinda true, but our staff was outplayed and outcoached. It was not even close. Your memory is leaving off that Bama game we barely missed on,, we were not horrible last year. Even with the walk ons.

Beamers teams are very solid year in and year out. We need the quote ' solid ' players we are getting right now to get a back bone of talented hard workers and solid citizens vs many 5 stars which quite frankly have gotten by on their god given talent and many do not know what it is lke to have to work hard. these 5 stars are usually playing at 3/4 speed in HS due to that talent.

I am appreciating the type of players we seem to be getting on this team at the moment. do we really need the Nukems, the BB's, the internet show with Ambles? These guys are Jackasses.

Are you serious? Yeah, we had some good guys, but by the end of the year we had a lot of guys playing that shouldn't have been seeing the field.

Who says a 3* on the roster isn't okay? You're missing the point, which is you cannot build an entire recruiting class around 3* guys and expect to be successful in the SEC. Sure Alabama has plenty of 3*'s on their roster, but they don't build entire recruiting classes around only those guys.

In the last eight years, Bama has signed 11 5 stars compared to our 18 and 86 4 stars compared to our 87.

Beamers teams are very solid year in and year out. We need the quote ' solid ' players we are getting right now to get a back bone of talented hard workers and solid citizens vs many 5 stars which quite frankly have gotten by on their god given talent and many do not know what it is lke to have to work hard. these 5 stars are usually playing at 3/4 speed in HS due to that talent.

How many times is the idiotic "all 5 stars are lazy and all 3 stars work hard" argument going to come up?

you know better than this. 6 draftees (one a flyer of a choice) around a bunch of underclassmen and walk ons doesn't rate high in the kind of talent depth needed to win.

You mean teams don't win SEC titles with players like the Sullins twins? Crazy talk.

May not be what people want to hear, but this recruiting class has the look and feel so far of the type of classes they get at Va Tech........loading 3 star guys with better character, work ethic, team guys who are underrated.....

I saw where at least 1 analyst picked them pre-season to win the NC........TIFWIW

I'll take that over busted 4 and 5-star dreams any day of the week......(Donald, Vinson, Warren, O-neal, A. Paige, Myles, B. brown, Nuke Bomb, etc, etc, etc)

their coaching staff as well. You don't win in our conference unless you got GREAT coaches and superior talent whereas you can win in the ACC with marginal talent and good to great coaching.

Are you serious? Yeah, we had some good guys, but by the end of the year we had a lot of guys playing that shouldn't have been seeing the field.

You guys are proving my point for me. I agree with you.

I was referring to star power which is all SGM preaches about. star power is the end all.

According to him VT had no business being on the same field as Tennessee cuz we have recruited so much better than them.

Obviously, that is not the case but that is what he believes. Attrition, coaching, recruiting evals, smarts, and experience do not matter at all. Whoever has recruited the most stars wins the game. No use to even play them.

Last edited:
star ratings are an educated guess.
Yes and they're probably less reliable this year than any in recent memory.

It looks like Rivals has cut back on staff and resources. Scout has always been very hit and miss. They hit often but seem to miss by a mile when they miss. ESPN isn't very good yet.

I think some guys really get lit up on these star ratings. That's fun and all but you have to look at the variables like your post suggested.

A new variable this year is that due to cut backs Rivals may not be as reliable as before.

Who is Alabama going to prepare and play better for? (1) A game in mid-season vs big rival with national championship hopes on the line. (2) MWC team in a meaningless bowl game? With solid depth, we could occasionally sneak up on teams in bowl games when that team has far greater expectations. If that same MWC team met Alabama in mid-season form, they would be dealt with accordingly.

Teams have way more time to prepare for bowl games. When did the Sugar Bowl become a meaningless game? Its part of the Bowl Series.

VN Store

Back