This is looking like a Va. Tech Class

What do stars actually do?

Do they make a guy play harder?
Do they make a guy work harder?
Does it make them smarter?Know the game more?
Does it automatically mean that they will perform better?

Finally, fans can believe whatever they want, but it's just ridiculous for fans to assume or think Tennessee will be competitive among the SEC elite if the cornerstone of their recruiting classes are built around all 3* guys. That is what Kentucky and Vanderbilt's classes have been built around for years.

nobody is saying that.

one top 15 class with 8-10 4stars and 17 or so 3stars is not gonna kill us.

we are not gonna recruit like this every year. there is too much going against us this year to compete with the big dogs on the trail.

He's not assuming anything. He's basing what he said off of what the OP said, which is that classes based of 3* character laden guys is what VT does and that it clearly works. He didn't say squat about July or anything. He specifically said he'd take that over 4* and 5* dreams. What the heck are you talking about?

Hardy's comments are dead on the money, whether you like the message or not.

He is assuming/reading into things - as you apparently did.

The original poster said he'd take that over BUSTED 4* and 5* dreams, and then named all the wonderboys that have turned into nothing but busts or criminals with us.

The OP did not say that's all we ever need to be the best, just that he'd take it over a bunch of higher rated guys who won't be around after a year, or don't perform once here. That's what I'm talking about. Instead, Montrell is reading into the post, like with his last one:

"So you think the Mountain West as a conference is just as tough as the SEC?"

That's not what dd28 said. He said a Mountain West team beat up on the SEC powerhouse team, which is true. Did he say the entire MW conference is as tough? No. . . Did he say that team would beat every other team in the SEC, go undefeated and win the conference? No. . . That's what I mean by reading into the posts.

Anyone with half a brain understands that we cannot recruit mediocre 3* talent year in, and year out, and dominate. But, is a talented, serviceable 3* who grows, improves, and REMAINS ON THE TEAM as we build depth, better than the 5* bust who transfers/gets kicked off the team and requires us to play a walk-on because of lack of depth?

As LV just pointed out, nobody is settling for this. It's a building block.

My comment about July may not have been clear... I was simply pointing out that it's only July. We have no idea what the full make-up of the class will be in Feb, nor do we know which of our 3*'s will end up 4*'s.

EDIT: The problem is the "character" police show up saying, "So, you mean that a bunch of choir boys will be national champions every year?" even if that's not what the person said. Then these debates ensue, usually because it's an asinine one-liner by SGM, Fiji, etc... that has little substance, and no backing argument, but is meant to incite.

Last edited:
Assuming that Florida and Bama are the big dogs, look at our record against the 2 lately. See my point yet?

Who is Alabama going to prepare and play better for? (1) A game in mid-season vs big rival with national championship hopes on the line. (2) MWC team in a meaningless bowl game? With solid depth, we could occasionally sneak up on teams in bowl games when that team has far greater expectations. If that same MWC team met Alabama in mid-season form, they would be dealt with accordingly.

Why does everyone seem to over look coaching? Complain about "stars" all you want, but it doesn't matter if they are all 5*, without great coaching it doesn't matter!

Who says a 3* on the roster isn't okay? You're missing the point, which is you cannot build an entire recruiting class around 3* guys and expect to be successful in the SEC. Sure Alabama has plenty of 3*'s on their roster, but they don't build entire recruiting classes around only those guys.

Javier Arenas = 3 stars
Mount Cody = 3 stars
Marcel Dareus = 3 stars
Marquis Maze = 3 stars
Greg McElroy = 3 stars
Glenn Coffee = 3 stars

Yeah, you're right!! It would really suck to have a whole team full of those guys........:crazy:

Not saying be satisfied with, but the occasional 3* on the roster is ok. UT can't get a roster of all 4* &5*. Look at the attrition rate of the last 5 years. The trouble makers and those no longer on the team were 4&5* recruits. But, I guess nice guys finish last.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Every single player committed thus far is a 3 star.

Javier Arenas = 3 stars
Mount Cody = 3 stars
Marcel Dareus = 3 stars
Marquis Maze = 3 stars
Greg McElroy = 3 stars
Glenn Coffee = 3 stars

Yeah, you're right!! It would really suck to have a whole team full of those guys........:crazy:

:lolabove::lolabove: Dude you seriously need to give it up. You obviously don't understand anything about football or building a program. That proves absolutely nothing. Nobody ever said 3*'s can't be good and start on national title teams, but look at the talent they were surrounded with.

You need to CAREFULLY re-read what I have been saying. I said you can't build a program with 3-stars ONLY. What part of ONLY dont you understand?

Do you really think Alabama wins the national title last year if you take away every 4* and 5* in the starting lineup and replace them with 3*'s?

Tennessee started 6 3* guys on their 98 national title team as well, but they sure as hell wouldn't have won a title if all 22 were 3*'s.

nobody is saying that.

one top 15 class with 8-10 4stars and 17 or so 3stars is not gonna kill us.

we are not gonna recruit like this every year. there is too much going against us this year to compete with the big dogs on the trail.

IF Tennessee ends up with 8-10 4 stars and a Top 15 class then yeah its defintely not going to kill us and I'd be eccstatic. At this point, I haven't seen anything that makes me feel confident they will sign a class like that.

Dont they have just as much "potential" to drop in the next rankings as rise?

Another true statement. It can be a glass half full or empty approach. My only point was that it was too early to tell. I agree they could slip into oblivion. No guarantee either way.

no, and the odds are not even close.

we had 1 guy drop a star last year who was committed, Pat Harris.

meanwhile, Ambles, Irvin, Milton, Neal, Bray, and Taylor all moved up a star from their original rating.

I agree with this. However, I haven't really seen any 3 stars drop below that once given that ranking. I have seen 5's go to 4's and 4's go to 3's. Haven't really seen 3 stars drop to 2. Not saying it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it.

quit trying to grade these classes before they even come to UT. Time will tell what kind of recruits they are and how our team fares with them

I agree with this. However, I haven't really seen any 3 stars drop below that once given that ranking. I have seen 5's go to 4's and 4's go to 3's. Haven't really seen 3 stars drop to 2. Not saying it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it.

Once a player gets a star, they RARELY drop (except 5stars).

I seriously cannot think of 1 non-5star guy besides Pat Harris who dropped last year.

wasn't there an OL from Tennessee that dropped? OC Brown Maybe?

nope. 4star the whole way.

and that's exactly my point.

Brown got dominated at camp in front of 2 Rivals analysts, never got any offers besides S. Miss, and still kept his 4th star.

That's how hard it is to lose a star.

Once a player gets a star, they RARELY drop (except 5stars).

I seriously cannot think of 1 non-5star guy besides Pat Harris who dropped last year.

Didn't Justin Worley fall from a 4 to a 3? I was thinking he did on rivals.

These 3 stars miraculously become great when they get their 4th star
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back