The Weightlifters Thread

Yates has very detailed, and brief workout videos. They are great resources:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86TYYpaMoA[/youtube]

I just finished watching the series. Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

At the very least a good motivator
Posted via VolNation Mobile

You can lift the rest of your life. I envy you. Enjoy football while you still have a chance to play.

Thanks man. You're right. I love playing football. I just wish I could have the best of both worlds, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for that.

Honestly, my real problem is I've been lifting for over a decade and I'm bored right now. I have lost some size since cutting back but I'm okay with that. At one point I was hovering at about 280 and moving some heavy weights. I didn't like being that bulky so I cut back. I just need to find something new to spark my interest again.

Do a bodybuilding competition.

Nbaker, have you ever thought about competing in a show?

I'd like to someday, but I don't have the size. I have good shape, but at 6' 2" about 180 lbs would be my competition size. If I can maintain till when I'm older I could compete in masters. I guess I could always juice. I haven't been able to grow much over the last 2 years. I'm continually improving shape, which makes me appear bigger, though.

I also have scoliosis, and winged scapula (shoulder blades that stick out like you see on a little kid). After 4 years of lifting, my back has come a long way, but I'm still trying to improve on weaknesses, slowly but surely.

I'd like to someday, but I don't have the size. I have good shape, but at 6' 2" about 180 lbs would be my competition size. If I can maintain till when I'm older I could compete in masters. I guess I could always juice. I haven't been able to grow much over the last 2 years. I'm continually improving shape, which makes me appear bigger, though.

I also have scoliosis, and winged scapula (shoulder blades that stick out like you see on a little kid). After 4 years of lifting, my back has come a long way, but I'm still trying to improve on weaknesses, slowly but surely.

Give it a try, at least for the experience. I have never been on stage but help prepare and train a girl for the Tennessee Ms. Fitness. Trust me, it's not full of low b.f., jacked up freaks as some may think. There is a ton of average joes competing. They were all athletic looking but not muscle bound in the least. The last one I went to happened to be in Knoxville a few years back. Another good thing is the free gear and goodies you get, not only as a competitor but even the folks who go to watch. If this is something you are interested in, seriously, get your feet wet.

Reactions: 1 person

Man you should definitely try it, I have been lifting for 2 years and eating right. I would love to do a natural show in a few years, I am 6'5 about 215. I would have to put on some good clean weight to be able to stand a chance.

I've started lifting in the mornings before I go to work. I like it a lot, makes me feel good the rest of the day.

Started putting a stronger emphasis on negatives. Can't quite do the same weight, but I really feel the effect. Feels more thorough

Started putting a stronger emphasis on negatives. Can't quite do the same weight, but I really feel the effect. Feels more thorough

Slow and controlled reps work best for me. Not quite a negative but I definately lower the weight slow. Use good form and you will see progress. Too many people have bad form.

Slow and controlled reps work best for me. Not quite a negative but I definately lower the weight slow. Use good form and you will see progress. Too many people have bad form.

You're right. They try to lift too much. Proper technique provided better gains,

I think I hurt my rotator cuff. I've had to skip upper body since last friday. It's still sore today....

I think I hurt my rotator cuff. I've had to skip upper body since last friday. It's still sore today....

Do you warm it up adequately? Maybe a dumb question, and maybe I'm the only dumbass who never did, but I recently started doing it properly and it's made a huge difference. Especially playing softball. My arm was always jacked, but if I do the rotator warm up before I start actually throwing in warmups, I'm good.

Yates demonstrates proper warm up and reasoning in the first minute here. I usually do it without weight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86TYYpaMoA[/youtube]

Do you warm it up adequately? Maybe a dumb question, and maybe I'm the only dumbass who never did, but I recently started doing it properly and it's made a huge difference. Especially playing softball. My arm was always jacked, but if I do the rotator warm up before I start actually throwing in warmups, I'm good.

Yates demonstrates proper warm up and reasoning in the first minute here. I usually do it without weight:

I think I tweaked it doing my last exercise, overhead dumb bell press. It didn't hurt doing the exercises, but got sore after. I iced it down, and it helped slightly, but here almost a week later it's still sore.

5'10.5" 225

Oh ok, I may have been thinking of another poster. That's pretty dang stocky if you're mainly muscle.

Tough to maintain since I've been essentially vegan in diet for quite a bit now, but I'm holding up. Lots of legumes.

What made you decide to become a vegan? I almost became one after I saw a documentary on fast food meat. It's tough though.

I use to finish my workout with 20-25 reps. Never just went all out to see how many without being a little worn out.

6' 225

You freakin beast. ha.

Go watch Forks Over Knives.

And yeah, no meat sucks sometimes but you get over it fairly quickly. I still use very, very modest amounts of dairy and meat for flavoring but not often.

I spend way too much money on supplements off the net. I think they help a lot but it could be placebo. I just finished doing 3 scoops of Jack3d for 2 1/2 months and now that I'm off I can't make myself work out over a half an hour. Not counting tread and sauna.

VN Store

Back