The Weightlifters Thread

Oh ok, I may have been thinking of another poster. That's pretty dang stocky if you're mainly muscle.

What made you decide to become a vegan? I almost became one after I saw a documentary on fast food meat. It's tough though.

You freakin beast. ha.

That was a little over a year ago when my max was around 375. Been slacking lately but about to go back at it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I am 5'10"....weigh 291....1RM on Bench is 440....mainly do 4sets of 8 and do 1body part per day to failure.....I have odd/even weeks workout schedule....that way I am not doing same exercises every week....go 8 weeks then switch up....also after 8 weeks if I am on any supplements I cycle off for the next 8 weeks....I am really thick guy....cant seem to get my ego out of the way and not go as heavy as I can every workout....trying new workout routine now....started last week....do cardio for 30 min prior to w/o then w/o tired and then finish with 15 mor min of cardio....trying to build endurance....oh yeah....I LOVE TO EAT....NO BODYBUILDING FOR ME....I LIKE FOOD TOOOOOO MUCH...:)

Shoulder still hurts. I'm going to the doc to have it checked out

Sucks man. I think I have a broken wrist, but I'm staying away from the doctor. I don't want a cast that will keep me out of the gym. If it is broken, I feel like it's a hairline fracture, and I wrap it pretty good. Waiting it out, and hopefully it gets better.

Sucks man. I think I have a broken wrist, but I'm staying away from the doctor. I don't want a cast that will keep me out of the gym. If it is broken, I feel like it's a hairline fracture, and I wrap it pretty good. Waiting it out, and hopefully it gets better.

Sounds absurd.

Sounds absurd.

What part of it? That somebody would lift with a broken wrist or the inference that a hairline fracture heals itself?

It can heal itself, according to brief internet search I made. Takes about 6 weeks.

If it is broken, it happened in softball taking a backhanded grounder off the wrist at 3rd. My softball teammate had a hairline wrist fracture that he played a whole season with and he limited himself in no ways physically. He finally saw a doctor and got it casted up. The thought of a cast seems terrible to me. I'd rather take it easy and protect it and see how my body does on its own.

There is only pain when I raise myself up using the palms of my hands. As long as I don't do that, I figure I'm not stressing the break.

I'm swamped with my wife's medical bills, and I have a whole separate policy for me, so I'd be paying out of pocket since I haven't met my deductible. I'd be paying for an x-ray to tell me what I already know. If I need a cast, I'll go in 2012 so I can pay towards a deductible I'll actually exceed.

Your comment seems pretentious. Believe me, I've thought about it from many angles.

Not being pretentious. It sounds crazy to break a wrist and avoid the doc. Many moving parts in there and a lot of ways to heal improperly. In fact, sans immobilization, it's unlikely to heal much at all.

Not being pretentious. It sounds crazy to break a wrist and avoid the doc. Many moving parts in there and a lot of ways to heal improperly. In fact, sans immobilization, it's unlikely to heal much at all.

My mistake then.

Milo or nbaker, or I guess anyone really...

Any suggestions on your workout routine? Trying to get in a good routine, because that is what helps me the most, but I haven't worked out in forever. Workout routine/diet routine would both be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Milo or nbaker, or I guess anyone really...

Any suggestions on your workout routine? Trying to get in a good routine, because that is what helps me the most, but I haven't worked out in forever. Workout routine/diet routine would both be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

When it comes to diet I know how to do extreme cuts, and that's about all I'm good for. I naturally stay pretty lean so I don't have to eat oatmeal and eggs just to keep my weight down. I just shred in the summer.

Routines: I've really liked Layne Norton's power/hypertrophy stuff, Mike Mentzer's HIT program, and Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts (which is my favorite).

When it comes to diet I know how to do extreme cuts, and that's about all I'm good for. I naturally stay pretty lean so I don't have to eat oatmeal and eggs just to keep my weight down. I just shred in the summer.

Routines: I've really liked Layne Norton's power/hypertrophy stuff, Mike Mentzer's HIT program, and Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts (which is my favorite).

Alright. Is the Dorian Yates stuff free online on the website? Or do you have to pay once you access the videos?

If you have any workout routines (day-by-day what to do) handy or available to post, it would be greatly appreciated. I just need to wrap my head around what I need to be doing to get in shape, instead of going back into the gym blind, unorganized, and not making steady progress.

Those are all good ones, but if you're new or haven't been at it for a while a bread and butter push/pull three day split with as many compound lifts as possible is a great place to start.

When I first started, I went to the gym and had a trainer draw up a plan for me. Tell him what your goals are and they will get you on the right track and show you how to do the lifts properly.

There are a lot of crap trainers out there too. Be wary.

I think if I can just come up with a plan that involves building strength, but more losing weight, it will help.

If I lose the weight and start to get in better shape, I will be in the gym more and be more likely to work out more.

Basically, the key is... getting off my ass and making it happen.

Those are all good ones, but if you're new or haven't been at it for a while a bread and butter push/pull three day split with as many compound lifts as possible is a great place to start.

Any recommendation?

haven't lifted in 2 weeks due to my shoulder. But I'm about 95%, so I'm going to try and test it tomorrow.

VN Store

Back