The Weightlifters Thread

A few things on creatine...

Ethyl ester is garbage and more easily turns into creatinine, which you don't want, so stick with monohydrate. Don't take pills. Take creatine post workout since exercised muscles absorb it better and take it with carbs as well. It also takes a few weeks to notice the effects so there's not enough creatine in pre-workout supps to take them for that.

Don't know from experience but cell mass and green mag are good from what I've heard and read. The site I order from has CM for $28 and 80 servings of green mag for $30. Also has size-on, a good intra-workout creatine, for a decent price.

FWIW, I felt the results of creatine after only 2-3 days.

What creatine supplement did you take? If you took multiple scoops everyday of a preworkout w/ creatine for a few weeks, then maybe you'd notice it faster once you started a creatine. A week is possible but 2-3 days could be placebo.

What creatine supplement did you take? If you took multiple scoops everyday of a preworkout w/ creatine for a few weeks, then maybe you'd notice it faster once you started a creatine. A week is possible but 2-3 days could be placebo.

I only started taking creatine monohydrate. No preworkout supplements, just that. And I hadn't lifted in 3 months prior...and I was back to lifting the weight I had been previous to my shoulder injury after only 2-3 days of taking creatine.

I only started taking creatine monohydrate. No preworkout supplements, just that. And I hadn't lifted in 3 months prior...and I was back to lifting the weight I had been previous to my shoulder injury after only 2-3 days of taking creatine.

Well when you're only lifting 20-30 lbs it's easy to get back to that after an injury.:p

Maybe your shoulder/body recovered extremely well from rehab or whatever or you just absorb creatine at a superhuman level. The majority of people probably wouldn't notice significant results until about 1-2 wks though.

Well when you're only lifting 20-30 lbs it's easy to get back to that after an injury.:p

Maybe your shoulder/body recovered extremely well from rehab or whatever or you just absorb creatine at a superhuman level. The majority of people probably wouldn't notice significant results until about 1-2 wks though.

Touche sir. I only lift the bar 100 times for toning :)

Touche sir. I only lift the bar 100 times for toning :)

Ha if it gets the ladies to notice I can't hate.

But seriously, on that note, the thing I can't stand at my gym right now is the influx of high school kids wasting space doing curls from every possible angle for an hour.

Ha if it gets the ladies to notice I can't hate.

But seriously, on that note, the thing I can't stand at my gym right now is the influx of high school kids wasting space doing curls from every possible angle for an hour.

Same boat bro. I love it when a kid walks up, grabs a DB and proceeds to throw it up with his back.

Last edited:
Anybody else have an influx of HS kids in wife beaters at their gym?

Yes. During my summer and winter breaks when I'm not at school I have a membership at The Rush and there are tons of 150 pound 10th graders running around. It's pretty annoying. They take up the whole curling area and then have contests to see who can fail the most at trying to bench press 225 pounds.

LOL

Most of the time when I'm at 24 there's usually at least one legit power lifter or advanced body builder that will keep everybody else from trying to show off.

Yeah, they all have the t-shirts with the sleeves ripped out all the way down the side of the shirt.

I have two of those but I only wear them when it's 90*+ out. T-shirts the rest of the time.

Yeah, they all have the t-shirts with the sleeves ripped out all the way down the side of the shirt.

I have two of those but I only wear them when it's 90*+ out. T-shirts the rest of the time.

Exactly. That's the time you should wear them. Not in the middle of winter in Ohio in a gym like mine that keeps it well under 70 degrees.

I used to take the liquid Creatine monohydrate. Best stuff i ever took as far as Creatine went. Got into your system pretty fast. Took less than a week for that stuff to start working, expensive though.

Cell mass all day.

And dumbbell bench, flys and dips are all you need for chest.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I do Serratus pullovers too. Arnold swore that they expand your rib cage as well as give your serratus that nice "fingers" look. Definitely hit the cables up, too.

Last edited:
Are you guys really hating on people's workout wardrobes?

I just hate right after new year's when the gym gets insanely busy for about 2 weeks. Then people forget their resolutions.

I do Serratus pullovers too. Arnold swore that they expand your rib cage as well as give your serratus that nice "fingers" look. Definitely hit the cables up, too.
And those. I do those most of the time as well, either on a bench with the ez curl or kneeling with a cable. Kneeling side pulldowns are also a great serratus/lat workout.

I just hate right after new year's when the gym gets insanely busy for about 2 weeks. Then people forget their resolutions.
Yes. People are free to dress as they wish to the gym, but I am free to think they're idiots. Particularly: 1) Women who wear nothing but booty shorts and a sports bra then get agitated when they are being checked out from all directions and 2) dudes in ripped up t-shirts (usually traveling in groups of 3) who only bench press 135lbs. and spend an hour doing only curls and tricep extensions thinking they're the hottest thing since sliced bread.

I had a group of these guys try and fight me once, it was at the gym at 11pm so the place is relatively empty, and I'm on one of the three incline benches. I have a quick phone call to take, and I leave my bag, water bottle and towel near/on the bench. I'm gone not 30 seconds and they're moving my stuff to take the spot.

Me: "I was working out here, I have a couple of sets left."
Them: "Sorry man, we are already setting up here, though..."
Me: "Listen sisterhood of the traveling bros, put my stuff back and take another bench."

One of them stepped to me, but before anything happened a gym buddy of mine who's a pro body builder (and freaking enormous) was about 20 feet away and jumped over to shove them off.

Moral of the story... If you're wearing cut up t-shirts, backwards flat bill caps and DC's, you may not be a brotard, but you're wearing the uniform of one.

Also, yes, first two weeks of January is hell at the gym. So is every Monday at around 6pm. That's why I work out either very early in the morning or very late at night, else I end up having to wait 5-10 minutes for a spot to open up, which irritates me and ruins my workout.

Somebody wears wife beaters to the gym :)

I've never had any or witnessed any run ins at the gym.

Milo's right, some girls make it very hard not to glance.

Last edited:
Especially at the gym I'm at... I drive an extra mile or so to go to the Lance Armstrong 24 (which apparently is the creme de la creme of 24hrs, FWIW) and it's in the rich suburbs part of Portland. If I go and work out there on any given weekday evening between 6-8, there'll be more sets of tits with price tags than the Spearmint Rhino. It's crazy. And they all get super offended when some dude is caught staring.

VN Store

Back