The Weightlifters Thread

squat.jpg

Last edited:
Legs tonight. Sucked, just didn't want to be there.

I found it's easier for me to do legs if I do quads and hamstrings on different days. My favorite leg lifts are front squats, straight leg deadlifts, and Jefferson squats. Sissy squats are really good for shaping too (I usually do them supersetted with another quad exercise). I hate lunges the worst, but I make myself do them.

Also I've heard some opine that not working on legs will inhibit gains to your upper body. Thoughts?

Well, I figured out that I've been using bad form on the bench press. Left side of my chest is a little inflamed. Looks like it's time to take a week or so off from chest then back to lowering the weight and nothing but barbells for a while...awesome.

Last edited:
I found it's easier for me to do legs if I do quads and hamstrings on different days. My favorite leg lifts are front squats, straight leg deadlifts, and Jefferson squats. Sissy squats are really good for shaping too (I usually do them supersetted with another quad exercise). I hate lunges the worst, but I make myself do them.

Also I've heard some opine that not working on legs will inhibit gains to your upper body. Thoughts?

If you're weak in the lower body, it effects everything.

Well, I figured out that I've been using bad form on the bench press. Left side of my chest is a little inflamed. Looks like it's time to take a week or so off from chest then back to lowering the weight and nothing but barbells for a while...awesome.

Where do you grip the barbell at?

Bench press isn't as much where you grip the bar its where you drop it. On the flat bench the bar should be dropped at the top of your chest, or about 3-4" from base of your neck.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Bench press isn't as much where you grip the bar its where you drop it. On the flat bench the bar should be dropped at the top of your chest, or about 3-4" from base of your neck.

I aim for midchest. This is honestly the first time I've had this problem. I'm putting a lot of eggs into the "trying to move up in weight too fast" basket.

Midchest is supposed to be the target on incline. I don't do incline and ironically I've recently read two different studies that report that the incline is the biggest waste of effort in the gym right behind the decline press.

Midchest is supposed to be the target on incline. I don't do incline and ironically I've recently read two different studies that report that the incline is the biggest waste of effort in the gym right behind the decline press.

Yea my coaches would get pissed at people doing decline which they considered "beach lifting". But I kinda see why now because they said its not a movement that's very helpful in football or anything else really, just to sculpt the lower chest iirc

eh, I dunno about that. Decline does suck tho IYAM.

I am wondering how that could be a waste. Hitting it from a different angle allows you to shape the muscle. Maybe a waste if you're weight training for football. I weight train for shape.

I am wondering how that could be a waste. Hitting it from a different angle allows you to shape the muscle. Maybe a waste if you're weight training for football. I weight train for shape.

I'm not a researcher so its not my info. I'll try to find those articles and post them. One was a pretty extensive study with numerous athletes tested and they registered muscle activity and also stress on joints and ligaments. Incline only added 3% muscle activity on upper pecs but stress on rc was up 80%. The results were that the exercise has a greater detriment than benefit.

I'm not a researcher so its not my info. I'll try to find those articles and post them. One was a pretty extensive study with numerous athletes tested and they registered muscle activity and also stress on joints and ligaments. Incline only added 3% muscle activity on upper pecs but stress on rc was up 80%. The results were that the exercise has a greater detriment than benefit.

Honestly, you can find studies supporting and discouraging just about every lift and method. Most bodybuilders hit incline. Many say it's their most important chest movement.

Last edited:
Honestly, you can find studies supporting and discouraging just about every lift and method. Most bodybuilders hit incline. Many say it's their most important chest movement.

I'm not a body builder but I'm pretty well read in the field. I've got nutrition education so its an extension of my field. You can find many opinions on different things but not hard data. Bodybuilding has thrived on trial and error, not research.

Besides that, your shape has way more to do with your genes than how you lift.

I'm not a body builder but I'm pretty well read in the field. I've got nutrition education so its an extension of my field. You can find many opinions on different things but not hard data. Bodybuilding has thrived on trial and error, not research.

Besides that, your shape has way more to do with your genes than how you lift.

Me either but at the same time, I'm trying to get bigger. I also agree, genes play a major factor.

Incline is a good lift, all I'm sayin IYAM.

Study how to inhibit your myostatin levels and you'll get big in a hurry. Your friends will think you're juicing. Any lift will work for you.

Study how to inhibit your myostatin levels and you'll get big in a hurry. Your friends will think you're juicing. Any lift will work for you.

So I've heard about this. Liam Hoekstra, etc. I had heard in Europe you can get a shot that's a myostatin blocker. I've also heard you can get your DNA altered. I doubt you are referring to either one. Maybe a little more info por favor? I am browsing the web but I'm finding dead ends and stuff I already knew.

A supplement hit the market about a year ago called Myo-T12. It exploded in gyms around the country. I haven't tried it or read about it in awhile. I'll look around and see if I can find something.

Myo-T12 is off the market. Didn't work. Probably did for some but the primary hurdle for myostatin inhibitors is blood type. Since it tells your body to turn off a gene your blood type acts as the translator so its hard to manufacture a single supplement for everyone.

Another question, I was running 100 yard sprints, and my left hip popped? Don't know what happened, it just popped, and it's sore and hurts to move. I can walk on it, I just need to be ready Wednesday, for a speed class.

Me either but at the same time, I'm trying to get bigger. I also agree, genes play a major factor.

Incline is a good lift, all I'm sayin IYAM.

Everybody's body is different.

Incline was the most comfortable chest lift for me though. Best for the development of my chest as well.

This is what I like about VN. Always find new places to find and share info. Good to see a thread for the "meat heads" out there... LOL. I've been lifting solid for the last 10years. Recently took some time off to try and get some motivation back. After stumbling on this thread and reading through it, I'm getting hyped up again. Thanks for some motivation. Gonna torch back after work this evening.

VN Store

Back