THE Tailgating Source

Jawja Game "Recipe"

Squeeze the Georgia Peach

Pt. of Peach Schnapps
1/2 gallon of Fresh not from Concentrate OJ
Pt. apricot brandy
2 liters of sprite

Pour above in punch bowl over crushed ice. Drink fast before the ice melts, your on your own in the second half!

OR the Tennesse Version of "Peach"

1-qt size fruit jar
3 fresh peaches pealed
moonshine

peel the ripe peaches and drop in the bottom of the jar, fill the jar with the Holy Water and refrigerate at least 2 hours before game time. If you're a wuss, substitute Vodka for the 'shine.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Oct 6, 2005 5:07 PM
Jawja Game "Recipe"

Squeeze the Georgia Peach

Pt. of Peach Schnapps
1/2 gallon of Fresh not from Concentrate OJ
Pt. apricot brandy
2 liters of sprite

Pour above in punch bowl over crushed ice.  Drink fast before the ice melts, your on your own in the second half!

OR the Tennesse Version of "Peach"

1-qt size fruit jar
3 fresh peaches pealed
moonshine

peel the ripe peaches and drop in the bottom of the jar, fill the jar with the Holy Water and refrigerate at least 2 hours before game time. If you're a wuss, substitute Vodka for the 'shine.
[snapback]159727[/snapback]​

Me and some old army buddies, used the Tennessee version some years ago watching the UT@UF game. Later that night, was the first time id ever seen a grown man walk straight into a parked car and say "Excuse Me"Sir. :post-20645-1119625378:

Never. Just make your grub extra spicy. If you need it, I could give you a teaspoon or two of my homemade "Big Orange Fury" made from orange habeneros. That'll do the trick. But, you'll have to sign a waiver first.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Sep 13, 2005 2:54 PM
Gator Recipe:

4 quarters of whipped Gator
      whip on a flat surface until until soft
1-quart of Tennessee Whiskey
1-bag of Ice
2-quarts of Coke Classic
toss the gator away and enjoy the post game celebration
[snapback]141848[/snapback]​

If this were a contest for "best recipie", well, you'd win.

I don't have any recipies to share, but i do have some advice...apparently it's not a good thing to set up a keg and open bar next door to the music building. at some point in time you will see your keg getting carried off by UTPD and and garbage can full of empty booze bottles, and not emptied the way you'd like to see them emptied....oh well, as a bunch of alumni, you'd think we'd of learned....

Originally posted by Volstorm@Sep 7, 2005 4:33 PM
I love this board.
[snapback]138656[/snapback]​

Respectful post. My pops passed age 56, too, but he left me with:
"The Love of The Big Orange ", and it's still alive and well!

Anybody tailgate for basketball? If so, where's the best place to be without a parking pass? I was unaware, until I went to the Lipscomb game, that all the parking was reserved for hoops, as well.

Given the problems with charcoal, for tailgating I'd just add a foil pouch with a few small wood chips so that you don't get too strong a smoked tast, but you don't end up with as big a flavor loss....

For corn on the cob (and potatos) one thing you want to do is microwave them first- not all the way, just to about 1/2 to 2/3s cooked- especially if you're using charcoal so you don't have to have feed the fire for an hour.....

Best corn on the cob I ever had was in Mexico. Street vendors with hibachis on carts sold roasted corn on sticks, pronto pup style. What made it so good was A. mesquite chips in the grill and B. Lime-chili butter (basically, just chili powder and lime juice in melted butter).

Something painfully simple that's good for cold is Chowder. The original chowders were shipboard food, built on the 3 things all ships carried- salt pork, onions and potatos, plus whatever seafood they had around.

I use 1/2 a slice of bacon and 1 slice of salt pork to start off with. Remove both when cooked. Eat bit of salt pork, take shot of tequila, bite a lemon until pork is disposed of.

Chop one medium onion, and cook in grease over low heat until translucent.

Add 3 cubed potatos, 1 bay leaf, and 1/4 quarter cup of flour

Stir until veggies are coated. Keep stirring for a minute or two- you don't want the flour to color, but you want a little cooking to get the "floury" taste out.

Gradually add about a 1 1/2 quarts of water, stirring constantly.

Add 2-3 cans of clams with water (more if no other seafood used)

Add 1 chicken boullion cube (I also add a couple of dashes of Thai fish sauce and a shrimp buollion cube- you can get the latter at Asian groceries- same Knorr brand, just not sold here much)

Add 1 tblsp pepper. I prefer 3 parts white to 1 part black

Raise to boil, then cook on low heat for about an hour.

30 minutes before serving add 1/2 pound peeled shrimp (or two cans of tiny shrimp), 1/2 pound of cut fish (I generally use catfish chunks), and about a cup of half & half.

Before serving (or packing up for the road), add a little corn starch slurry to thicken as necessary.

The longer you simmer the chowder the better, and it always tastes better the next day.

Crackers are fine with it, but the Irish eat it with a dark brown bread (not a rye or pumpernickel) so I tried my own farmhouse bread- the denser the better- and it is far better than crackers....

(kiddiedoc @ Jan 2 said:
Anybody tailgate for basketball? If so, where's the best place to be without a parking pass? I was unaware, until I went to the Lipscomb game, that all the parking was reserved for hoops, as well.
I don't know that many people tailgate for the basketball games. I park in the garage next to the stadium and I haven't ever seen it around there.

Sounds like you and kdoc could be responsible for starting something Freak....

The only times I've been able to go to men's or women's hoops games my hosts parked in the garage too, but so were all the other fans... so what's to stop y'all from starting something.

Sounds to me like it's just a matter of naming places to hook up and/or where you'll be......

Big Orange Soup- basic idea, adjust at your leisure

Most people don't realize it, but pumpkin (a squash) has been eaten as a savory longer than as a dessert ingredient in the US. In fact, most of the world still eats it that way.

There are a huge number of pumpkin soup recipes out there, and I gaurantee you'll be as pleasantly amazed as I was about how good they all are. Pumkin has a subtle nutty taste that's great for hearty soups, and you can not only get canned pumpkin year-round, but getting it pre-mashed in the can means you can make all the soups incredibly easy and cheap.

(MemphisVol @ Jan 9 said:
Best corn on the cob I ever had was in Mexico. Street vendors with hibachis on carts sold roasted corn on sticks, pronto pup style. What made it so good was A. mesquite chips in the grill and B. Lime-chili butter (basically, just chili powder and lime juice in melted butter).

Had the same in Honduras. They have huge marketplaces and about half are these huge grills and griddles. I have no clue what I ate nor do i want to know but it was good. And you're right about the corn.

The corn is easy. Peel back the husk, but don't remove. Discard the silk. Mix chili powder, cayenne, paprika, minced garlic, a touch of salt into softened butter. Spread liberally on corn. Fold husk back into corn and wrap in foil. grill for 20 minutes (gas).

I'm a gas grill guy. For authentic grilling with gas you needn't much. I start with Johnny's Seasoning on everything. Most things that's all. (Johhny's Fine Foods website). In a foil pouch I put wood chips, or Jack Daniel Charcoal pellets and poke a hole and place over heat till smoking, then grill. Alot of times I don't even do teh smoke.

For the Cal Game:

Purchase 4- 1 pound Bear steaks. Marinate overnight in California Merlot, California garlic, kosher salt and California olive oile, grill until medium well done. Serve with a side order of Napa cabbage and a Sierra Nevada beer. Now this tastes like $#it, so just serve it to the left coasters who drop by your tailgate. Save the George Dickel, bbq pork ribs and grilled corn on the cob for yourself!

(BHAMVOLFAN @ Aug 5 said:
For the Cal Game:

Purchase 4- 1 pound Bear steaks. Marinate overnight in California Merlot, California garlic, kosher salt and California olive oile, grill until medium well done. Serve with a side order of Napa cabbage and a Sierra Nevada beer. Now this tastes like $#it, so just serve it to the left coasters who drop by your tailgate. Save the George Dickel, bbq pork ribs and grilled corn on the cob for yourself!

:lol:

(BHAMVOLFAN @ Aug 5 said:
For the Cal Game:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

A solid dip/queso-ish type dealie with tortilla chips:

You actually may not be able to do this at tailgating, but then again, I'm a noob to that, so here it is:

1/2 lb. ground beef
8 oz. cheese (I like sharp cheddar)
small onion
8 oz. can of tomato sauce
4 oz. can of diced green chiles

Dice that onion while the beef begins to cook on medium heat. Add the onions to the meat in the pan. Once the beef is almost thoroughly cooked, drain it, then add it back into the pan. Cut the cheese into chunks, add it, the chiles, and the tomato sauce. Cook and stir on low heat until the cheese is entirely melted. Put into a container, open a bag of tortilla chips, and get at it!

VN Store

Back