THE Tailgating Source

A bump for a request by a newbie. Anyway, it's time to get this thing going. Kickoff is only about 6 weeks away!

I really never drag all the gear to Knox, But will grill before heading out hotdogs. Before i grill them, I take tooth picks and wrap each frank with a piece of bacon.(to hold the bacon on)
Once grilled nice, put them on buns, let cool and usualy wrap in aluminum foil. They make a great snack on the 2 hr ride.

I will add, I have never paid for a pregame meal. All my UT bud's that make games, Insist on getting to Knox and finding a place for steak, ribs, beer. Myself, like me some brew's. But really limit it to very few on game day.

Not go out and wait 30 mins on a table, then rush to the game.

By not "paying" for the pregame, Not even looking have ran across many nice folks kicked back grilling, That while you chat about the big kick off insist your insulting them if you dont eat!

Had some of the best grilled corn on the cobb, ive ever ate with La Tech fans from Monroe last yr....... :thumbsup:

kiddiedoc, I took the spicy grilled potato wedges recipe today, as a snack for myself and daughter.

We loved IT! She isnt much for Hot (spicy in her words) foods.
I didnt really lay off on the black pepper or cajun spice, but did just, dab some garlic powder and easy on the cayenne pepper. I could have used just another stab of it, but she was helping me out and i wanted her to enjoy. I didnt really expect her to ask for 2nd's.

She asked me what they are called? So she could tell her nana, I just called them Smokey treats........

Man keep the recipes coming. Milo and I are going to need these for the games. Hooters is going to get boring after a while lol.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@Jul 23, 2005 3:39 AM
kiddiedoc, I took the spicy grilled potato wedges recipe today, as a snack for myself and daughter.
[snapback]117179[/snapback]​

Glad you enjoyed!

OK OK. . . .here it is, the BEST salsa you will ever eat.

CHIPOTLE GRILLED SALSA

This is 100% homemade, trial and error, and is a little different from traditional salsas because ALL the veggies are grilled. Dang good.

6 nice-sized ripe homegrown tomatoes
1/2 large onion
1 clove of elephant garlic or about a half a head of regular
1/2 Green bell pepper (if you like)
Peppers to taste: chilis, jalapenos, serranos, or habaneros (2-10)

Olive oil
1 lime
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon sea salt (regular will do)
1 teaspoon cumin or chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions:

Heat a vegetable rack (flat with round holes in it) over medium-high grill flames. Baste all of the vegetables in olive oil and cook until char marks appear. Don't overdo the tomatoes, but the peppers can stay on a while (7-8 minutes). Remove to a pan.

In a blender or food processor, combine the juice of 1 lime, the cilantro, and spices. Peel the garlic and add it, the onion, and peppers. You can seed them first to cool it down. Blend for about 20 seconds.

Peel the skins from the charred tomatoes -- this is a messy process, but thats OK. You want the tomato "meat," and not the juice or skin. I've found it easiest to kind of squeeze the tomato out of the skin after cutting out the stem. Now, add the tomato meat to the blender and process only until the big chunks are ground up. You may have to push them down with a wooden spoon.

Pour into a glass jar, chill, and serve with chips. You're going to want something cold to drink if you went heavy on the habbies!

Originally posted by vols2345@Jul 23, 2005 6:00 AM
Man keep the recipes coming.  Milo and I are going to need these for the games.  Hooters is going to get boring after a while lol.
[snapback]117203[/snapback]​

Maybe by Week 10 :lol:

WOW! Now this is gonna be one of my fav's to read... I LOVE new recipies!.. thanks for sharing everyone! ...and GVF...I"ve still got friends attending at Freed... good to see another VOLS fan on the boards from another one of my favorite places! Have a FUN and keep posting! :victory:

These are going to be my snack of choice for the season. (And I think I'll throw in some of those Spicy Potato Wedges!)

Roasted Stuffed Jalapeños

22 Jalapeños
1 lb. breakfast sausage
1 package cream cheese (room temp)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425.

Brown the sausage. Halve the jalapeños, removing the seeds. (Hint: wear some gloves... that stuff doesn't wash off easily... :cry: )

Mix the cooked sausage with the cream cheese and Parmesan.

Stuff the jalapeños with the cheese mixture and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

For milder peppers, rinse the seeds out with water.... ( I have to do this to get my wife to eat them...)

Tennessee Martini (commonly known as a Hillbilly Martini or a Manhattan).

1-Jigger of George Dickel (it's a tradition)
1-Jigger of sweet vermouth
1-Dash of bitters
1-Marashino cherry
1-tablespoon juice from the cherry jar

in a shaker combine all ingredients except the cherry in a shaker with crrushed ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into a UT logo martini glass and drop in a cherry.

After you get used to these, you'll appreciate that they get the job done quickly and the hangovers are very minimal.

Big Orange Martini

1-jigger of citrus flavored vodka
1-jigger of triple sec
1-jigger of fresh orange juice

Shake vigorously with crushed ice for 10 seconds. Strain into your favorite UT logo martini glass.

Pineapple Bomb

2 jiggers pineapple juice
1 jigger Crown Royal
1 jigger Amaretto

pour in a shaker, add crushed ice, shake and strain into a rocks glass. Bombs away!!!

REQUEST: Good Alligator recipe.

I cooked it 3 times in the last 4 years, and all it did was complain about the staff at the market and say it got cheated out of being chicken or something else that tasted good.

In all seriousness, anyone know how to make anything good out of Gator other than boots (which is what mine tasted like)?

Not to stray from the topic nor sound like a commercial.
What is everyones pref on grilling? Gas or Charcoal? Myself it depends on what it is im grilling/cooking.

Anyone have a good corn on the cob recipe?
I use charcoal, Coat each ear with real butter, foil up with salt, pepper, a dash of garlic powder or a few shakes of tobasco. Toss on the fire and turn often. Just looking for idea's for the pregame "swamp" feast. I dont make the trip so when it must be played in Neyland south i just open the doors, windows, fire up the big screen early along with the grills.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@Sep 12, 2005 2:44 AM
Not to stray from the topic nor sound like a commercial.
What is everyones pref on grilling? Gas or Charcoal? Myself it depends on what it is im grilling/cooking.

Anyone have a good corn on the cob recipe?
I use charcoal, Coat each ear with real butter, foil up with salt, pepper, a dash of garlic powder or a few shakes of tobasco. Toss on the fire and turn often. Just looking for idea's for the pregame "swamp" feast. I dont make the trip so when it must be played in Neyland south i just open the doors, windows, fire up the big screen early along with the grills.
[snapback]141220[/snapback]​

If I am seriously cooking, definitely charcoal. Can't beat it.

Yeah, but for tailgating, charcoal is messy, time-consuming, and impractical. I love my travel grill that's referenced in the first post of the thread. Propane grill AND cooler, collapsable, with wheels and a handle. How can you beat that?

Still no decent Gator recipes???

Gator Recipe:

4 quarters of whipped Gator
whip on a flat surface until until soft
1-quart of Tennessee Whiskey
1-bag of Ice
2-quarts of Coke Classic
toss the gator away and enjoy the post game celebration

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Sep 13, 2005 1:17 PM
Yeah, but for tailgating, charcoal is messy, time-consuming, and impractical.  I love my travel grill that's referenced in the first post of the thread.  Propane grill AND cooler, collapsable, with wheels and a handle.  How can you beat that?

Still no decent Gator recipes???
[snapback]141838[/snapback]​

For speed, gas is the only way to go. I have both at home, and a portable gas for tailgating and camping.

I like BHAMVOLFAN's recipe!

My LSU menu:

Can't do an LSU game without sum a dat goode Kayjin foode.

BahBeeCue Shreemp!

2 loafs freench bread fa dippin

2 pounds of JUMBO headless shreemp (yeah, I know dem coonasses use the heads on version).

Juice of 3 lemons
3 sticks salted butter
3 tablespoons of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of wershesheshetershire sauce
2 tablespoons of Franks Red hot sauce
4 green on-yones very thinly sliced on a bias
1 tablespoon of Tony Cacciere's Cajon seasoning (blackened seafood seasoning works well too!)

Melt 1/2 stick butter, add garlic over medium heat for 30 seconds (do not allow to brown or burn) add rest of butter, worcheshestershire sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to your desire. Add shreemp, cook until pink. Remove shrimp to a dish.

In 6 bowls add 1/6 of the sauce to each. Add 1/6 of the shrimp to each bowl, toss the green onions on top of the shrimp and place a couple of slices of french bread on top of the shrimp at the edge of the bowl.

Peel and eat the shrimp and dip the bread into the sauce. Mmm, Mmm good!

MMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Im starving!! I wish my wife would hurry up and get home from work!!

Just kidding.

I've never done this, so I don't know how good/bad it is.

I hear it's alot better than it sounds.

Here goes:

1. buy a 6-pack of cheap beer in cans.
2. pour the beer into an empty gallon jug
3. Let beer go flat overnignt (keep the cap OFF of the jug)
4. When you wake up, pour 1/5 Bacardi 151 over the beer
5. Pour 3 frozen cans of lime concentrate juice in there also.
6. Put cap on, SHAKE
7. SERVE!!!! :stop: :cross: :whistling: :yikes: :pukeb: :sick: :toast: :ill_h4h:

VN Store

Back