The Houston Roughnecks have named Jarrett Guarantano the starting quarterback

Kid was the starter here for many years; if he sucked and continued the fault is on the coaching staff for not developing him or replacing him with a better option. He also went out there injured a few different times and did everything he could to win. Kid did everything he could the right way; we should do nothing but wish him well at this point.

Kid was the starter here for many years; if he sucked and continued the fault is on the coaching staff for not developing him or replacing him with a better option. He also went out there injured a few different times and did everything he could to win. Kid did everything he could the right way; we should do nothing but wish him well at this point.

My opinion and it’s just a feeling but I think JG wanted to win and believed he had the ability to win and that he was the best option and Pruitt paid him to sign with UT and the family of JG threatened to expose Pruitt if he was benched and eventually Pruitt realized he was being fired and benched him and suddenly the accusations came out.

My opinion and it’s just a feeling but I think JG wanted to win and believed he had the ability to win and that he was the best option and Pruitt paid him to sign with UT and the family of JG threatened to expose Pruitt if he was benched and eventually Pruitt realized he was being fired and benched him and suddenly the accusations came out.
JG was here before Pruitt.

Reactions: VAVol85
I agree he wasn’t good at what he could control but it’s still not easy to adapt to a new system 4 times in his career. I haven’t seen stats on it but just watching a lot of football it seems QB performance improves in year 2 of a system. And JG did hold the ball too long but he also often got hammered quickly plenty due to bad blocking. I’m not trying to rationalize or excuse anything. It was about more than just him when it comes to our offensive woes while he was QB. It’s that simple.
I never said it wasn't more than JG but Hooker and Milton illustrate how drastic the difference can be when you have one guy with the "head talent" to make plays and another guy with all the physical gifts in the world but struggles to make quick, good decisions. They tried essentially everything to slow the game down for JG. Nothing worked. I hope that it was somehow related to maturity and he's overcome it. Would be a great story.

Those teams were the predictable product of a coach like Jones. I get a lot of push back but I think he was the worst of the bunch because of where he started, the recruiting "wins" that fell into his lap due to homers and legacies, and then the ultimate trajectory of the program under his "stewardship". I believe he did less with more than any UT coach in my lifetime. He was literally left 5 NFL caliber OLs... and could succeed with them.

Unfortunately, between Butch and Dooley that's a tough choice on worst. Was some bad times for UT FB for sure. Shows what a bad AD can do to a program. Not a JG fan either but it was not his fault Pruitt kept starting him. He did the best he could was just not an SEC level QB.

The conspiracy theory post above is total BS but would like to hear Pruitt's reason for continuing to start him.

Last edited:
I never said it wasn't more than JG but Hooker and Milton illustrate how drastic the difference can be when you have one guy with the "head talent" to make plays and another guy with all the physical gifts in the world but struggles to make quick, good decisions. They tried essentially everything to slow the game down for JG. Nothing worked. I hope that it was somehow related to maturity and he's overcome it. Would be a great story.

Those teams were the predictable product of a coach like Jones. I get a lot of push back but I think he was the worst of the bunch because of where he started, the recruiting "wins" that fell into his lap due to homers and legacies, and then the ultimate trajectory of the program under his "stewardship". I believe he did less with more than any UT coach in my lifetime. He was literally left 5 NFL caliber OLs... and could succeed with them.
Interesting take on Jones. It’s easy to go straight to records but it’s definitely more nuanced than that. What sucks is you could see it quickly with Jones when he’s running a read option offense with a QB who didn’t run. It literally made no sense. Then we continued to get more genius moves as time went on of course. The defensive line alignment against Georgia Tech was one of the strangest things I’ve even seen.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Unfortunately, between Butch and Dooley that's a tough choice on worst. Was some bad times for UT FB for sure. Shows what a bad AD can do to a program. Not a JG fan either but it was not his fault Pruitt kept starting him. He did the best he could was just not an SEC level QB.

The conspiracy theory post above is total BS but would like to hear Pruitt's reason for continuing to start him.
Butch had the talent for a run at a national title. He minimum should’ve won the East and gave Bama a hell of a game in the conference title.

One thing Butch will always have is the only wi less SEC season at UT. And the only 8-loss year at UT. The winless SEC record will never be broken of course. How you go from how we looked in 2015 to winless 2 years later is criminal. 2017 was the only year we’ve gone into the Vandy game with no shot to win. Pitiful.

Reactions: Alto1

I think looking at the outcomes for all of the other QBs on the roster answers your last question. The QB room was a mess during Pruitt’s tenure.

I'm 28 and make more working from home for myself part time than he will. I don't like JG. Have a nice day at work, be safe on the commute. Pack a snack.
I work from home little buddy. Tell your mommy come tuck you in after you finish your hot pocket.

Why do you think being a below average journeyman pro quarterback is a better career than what others on this board do for a living?
Where did I say it was better or worse. I know, reading is hard. The fact remains, he gets paid to play a game that he loves. Not many can say that.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I don't remember where you stood but there were people who blamed everyone but him. I think 4 different coordinators tried to fit an O to him and get performance. He had enough talent around him. He just didn't perform. You could just as easily say that those two coaches failed in large measure because they didn't or couldn't give up on him. Jones sucked from the start IMO as a HC. But he was a "better" HC when Dobbs was around.

As for the last part, he never had much trouble performing in practice at UT. There were lots of reports about how impressive he was. I have no idea what it was but something in his head didn't click at game time.
Maybe the carousel of coaches had something to do with JGs failure. I also remember D linemen getting to JG one blink of the eye after the football

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
You are trying too hard to excuse him. These guys didn't roll in saying "Here's my system... adapt". They came in understanding that he was the starter and that they needed to develop a system around him. None of those systems represented radical departures from CFB norms.

He did take a beating but most of it was because he processed slow and held onto the ball too long. Can't remember which one but one of those OCs tried to give him an O with quick reads and throws to keep the pressure off. That didn't work either.

I hope he's overcome those problems. I really do. Outside of maybe Crompton no one has taken more criticism and genuine "hate" than JG did. I've been critical but not in a personal way. He took a lot and kept on coming back. But I don't think we should excuse or try to rationalize his time at UT. He wasn't very good even at the things under his control.
Cool. So, uh, uh, mmm, does it justify perpetually stomping the guy, even after he has long gone? Asking on behalf of Walter Joseph Kovacs (AKA: Rorschach).

VN Store

Back