The Houston Roughnecks have named Jarrett Guarantano the starting quarterback

That is entirely your right. I have a different perspective on life than some do. That is also my right to express.
Absolutely. I’m not a huge JG hater or fan, he seems like an alright guy, but these guys put themselves out there for a chance at lifetime wealth and with that comes public scrutiny.

As long as people keep it within the realm of football, let them hate away. I don’t see any benefit in talking down on former players, but I also am not going to be upset at someone not liking a player that was objectively bad while here.

You think you have any idea what it's like to be someone like JG or Josh Dobbs? I'll bet you and I have no idea what it is really like.

For a young man (that's below 40 to me,) I think being a pro athlete is a rare and probably really difficult job that probably pays okay. I'm not sure what the NFL minimum is now, but it's probably not bad.

JG probably isn't getting rich but he's having an experience that's extremely rare while he's a young man. Good for him
We are talking about their times at UT right? Isn’t that what all this is about? JG was a bad QB. Dobbs wasn’t.
For the record, JG was also really bad after he transferred. He just wasn’t a good QB. How is this so controversial?

Reactions: cgrish
We are talking about their times at UT right? Isn’t that what all this is about? JG was a bad QB. Dobbs wasn’t.
For the record, JG was also really bad after he transferred. He just wasn’t a good QB. How is this so controversial?
He's playing pro ball and many, many "bad" QBs aren't.

I suspect some people who have a job evaluating QB talent might disagree with how "bad" JG is.

Not many people ever get ASKED to play pro ball. Even fewer ever play pro ball.

It's tough to call someone "bad" at doing something who has achieved the level JG is at.

Yet he's getting played to play QB in a pro football league and those calling him a "bad QB" likely never touched a pro field as a coach or analyst at a level beyond HS.

Just something to think about. Maybe our ability to judge is limited?
He wasn't a good QB at UT. Is it really necessary to rehash all the proof for that? He's always had arm talent. He has size. He has good enough athleticism. He seems smart enough. He was apparently a practice All American. But when it all went live... he just couldn't deal with it.

You don't have to have very much expertise much less play pro football, be an analyst, or a coach to recognize things that are pretty straightforward.

We had 4 years to "judge"... starting with his sulking on the sideline against GT because he was beaten out and didn't get to play. In all his time at UT, the game never seemed to slow down for him. He was in some ways like Milton. He didn't make the plays the team needed to win.

I think Botch Jones and Jeremy The Gump Pruitt contributed to that. He went to Washington St and couldnt stay healthy. Was presumed to be their starting QB tho.
I don't remember where you stood but there were people who blamed everyone but him. I think 4 different coordinators tried to fit an O to him and get performance. He had enough talent around him. He just didn't perform. You could just as easily say that those two coaches failed in large measure because they didn't or couldn't give up on him. Jones sucked from the start IMO as a HC. But he was a "better" HC when Dobbs was around.

As for the last part, he never had much trouble performing in practice at UT. There were lots of reports about how impressive he was. I have no idea what it was but something in his head didn't click at game time.

He wasn't a good QB at UT. Is it really necessary to rehash all the proof for that? He's always had arm talent. He has size. He has good enough athleticism. He seems smart enough. He was apparently a practice All American. But when it all went live... he just couldn't deal with it.

You don't have to have very much expertise much less play pro football, be an analyst, or a coach to recognize things that are pretty straightforward.

We had 4 years to "judge"... starting with his sulking on the sideline against GT because he was beaten out and didn't get to play. In all his time at UT, the game never seemed to slow down for him. He was in some ways like Milton. He didn't make the plays the team needed to win.
Given what we've seen of the OTHER QBs that weren't playing:

Harrison Bailey seems destined to have a long career, just not in pro ball.

Brian Maurer seems like a good kid, but will likely never see a pro field.

I think JG might have had a higher ceiling than those guys. Did he light it up to his potential at UT? I've no idea. Do the pros think he has potential? Obviously.

Why take shots at a guy who proved, even with the lousy coaching we had at the time, to really be "the best chance we had to win?"

What's the point? He wasn't great but he was all we had AND he's good enough to get paid professionally playing the game he enjoys.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't remember where you stood but there were people who blamed everyone but him. I think 4 different coordinators tried to fit an O to him and get performance. He had enough talent around him. He just didn't perform. You could just as easily say that those two coaches failed in large measure because they didn't or couldn't give up on him. Jones sucked from the start IMO as a HC. But he was a "better" HC when Dobbs was around.

As for the last part, he never had much trouble performing in practice at UT. There were lots of reports about how impressive he was. I have no idea what it was but something in his head didn't click at game time.
Honestly i dont remember what side of the fence i was on at the time. It wouldnt surprise me if i was on the bench him bandwagon hot and heavy. But once a player transfers i let all the negativity go and wish them the best. Transferring sometimes does wonders for players. Take Bo Nix for example. He was mediocre at Auburn, gets a fresh start at Oregon and the kid shines. And i agree with you on Butch Jones. I think Mike Bajakian was a really good OC, he seen the writing on the wall with Butch and bounced. Jeremy Pruitt had a good OC his first year but micromanaged to much. Tyson Helton has had a top offense at Western Kentucky since hes been there.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Why do you think being a below average journeyman pro quarterback is a better career than what others on this board do for a living?
One thing for sure, he doesn't whine about UT fans the way some of you whine about him. I figure he has more class than his whiners.

Last edited:
He's playing pro ball and many, many "bad" QBs aren't.

I suspect some people who have a job evaluating QB talent might disagree with how "bad" JG is.

Not many people ever get ASKED to play pro ball. Even fewer ever play pro ball.

It's tough to call someone "bad" at doing something who has achieved the level JG is at.
What are you talking about? Bad players make it to the NFL and burn out all the time. He spent a few months in Arizona and a few months in Denver. He was not a good QB in college and he couldn’t even stay on a practice squad in the pros. He’s a good teammate and I’m sure a nice enough guy, but the only coach that he ever played for that didn’t see how bad he is was Butch Freaking Jones. Even Pruitt knew and tried to bench him, but he had no other options.

He is unequivocally a bad QB by every standard.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back