The Houston Roughnecks have named Jarrett Guarantano the starting quarterback

Could be high drama May 12 the Roughnecks play the Brahmas. Dormady is second string for the Brahmas but they regularly swap starting QBs in these scab leagues.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Have nothing against him. Hopefully whatever his issue was has been fixed... but in truth winning the job in practice was never his problem. It is what he does when the lights come on.
Absolutely, it seems he has always been good in practice, but could not bring it to the game. But I do wish him well.

Reactions: Remy and sjt18
I think Botch Jones and Jeremy The Gump Pruitt contributed to that. He went to Washington St and couldnt stay healthy. Was presumed to be their starting QB tho.
He was benched at Washington State

He's playing pro ball and many, many "bad" QBs aren't.

I suspect some people who have a job evaluating QB talent might disagree with how "bad" JG is.

Not many people ever get ASKED to play pro ball. Even fewer ever play pro ball.

It's tough to call someone "bad" at doing something who has achieved the level JG is at.
I hope JG does well, but I think he will be benched after just a few games, unless he has changed.

Good luck to Jarrett!! Nobody tries harder than him, and nobody should have to take abuse like that either imo…
The sad thing is, some folks literally live for the purpose of holding grudges, kicking people when they're down, practically mocking them for daring to be a team player, and presuming to rationalize it. Sadder still, is we are infected with Vols fans who fit this category.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Here's what I recall. Once Pruitt finally decided to sit JG the paying players mess came to the surface.
JG transfers.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I don't remember where you stood but there were people who blamed everyone but him. I think 4 different coordinators tried to fit an O to him and get performance. He had enough talent around him. He just didn't perform. You could just as easily say that those two coaches failed in large measure because they didn't or couldn't give up on him. Jones sucked from the start IMO as a HC. But he was a "better" HC when Dobbs was around.

As for the last part, he never had much trouble performing in practice at UT. There were lots of reports about how impressive he was. I have no idea what it was but something in his head didn't click at game time.
To be fair, that alone makes it hard to evaluate his college time as it takes time to really grasp a new system and he had different coordinators constantly. I agree he wasn’t good at UT, in general, but the kid took a beating unlike any QB I’ve ever seen and it takes more than just a bad QB performance to be as bad as we were offensively. I appreciate that he was willing to put in the work he did and get killed over and over like he did so good luck to that young man!

Here's what I recall. Once Pruitt finally decided to sit JG the paying players mess came to the surface.
JG transfers.
Then we should really celebrate JG if he helped get Pruitt out of here. He needs a statue!

Reactions: NEO
Nowhere didn i say/imply/infer he was good.

However there are simpletons that honestly believe that one players performance decides the fate of an entire program. That is irritating and asinine.
Thankfully I’m only asinine and occasionally a mild irritant. Not so sure my wife agrees but she clearly knows nothing. This is an anonymous board right? I sure hope so.

To be fair, that alone makes it hard to evaluate his college time as it takes time to really grasp a new system and he had different coordinators constantly. I agree he wasn’t good at UT, in general, but the kid took a beating unlike any QB I’ve ever seen and it takes more than just a bad QB performance to be as bad as we were offensively. I appreciate that he was willing to put in the work he did and get killed over and over like he did so good luck to that young man!
You are trying too hard to excuse him. These guys didn't roll in saying "Here's my system... adapt". They came in understanding that he was the starter and that they needed to develop a system around him. None of those systems represented radical departures from CFB norms.

He did take a beating but most of it was because he processed slow and held onto the ball too long. Can't remember which one but one of those OCs tried to give him an O with quick reads and throws to keep the pressure off. That didn't work either.

I hope he's overcome those problems. I really do. Outside of maybe Crompton no one has taken more criticism and genuine "hate" than JG did. I've been critical but not in a personal way. He took a lot and kept on coming back. But I don't think we should excuse or try to rationalize his time at UT. He wasn't very good even at the things under his control.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

However there are simpletons that honestly believe that one players performance decides the fate of an entire program. That is irritating and asinine.
And my point was no one wants to go back to having JG as the starting QB because he was not good.

You are trying too hard to excuse him. These guys didn't roll in saying "Here's my system... adapt". They came in understanding that he was the starter and that they needed to develop a system around him. None of those systems represented radical departures from CFB norms.

He did take a beating but most of it was because he processed slow and held onto the ball too long. Can't remember which one but one of those OCs tried to give him an O with quick reads and throws to keep the pressure off. That didn't work either.

I hope he's overcome those problems. I really do. Outside of maybe Crompton no one has taken more criticism and genuine "hate" than JG did. I've been critical but not in a personal way. He took a lot and kept on coming back. But I don't think we should excuse or try to rationalize his time at UT. He wasn't very good even at the things under his control.
I agree he wasn’t good at what he could control but it’s still not easy to adapt to a new system 4 times in his career. I haven’t seen stats on it but just watching a lot of football it seems QB performance improves in year 2 of a system. And JG did hold the ball too long but he also often got hammered quickly plenty due to bad blocking. I’m not trying to rationalize or excuse anything. It was about more than just him when it comes to our offensive woes while he was QB. It’s that simple.

Simpleton here.....

I'm sure JG tried. He just didn't need to be trotted out there every week when failure was assured. Failure of coaching as much as it was his failure.

Now, that being said-there is a glaring example of JG going off script, I would wager there are probably other examples

Weren't there also rumors of JGs dad kind of holding the payment thing over Pruitts dad to get his kid played?

You are correct, and it is quite difficult for one player to lift an entire program. (I can name a few examples but that's neither here nor there).

People are allowed to not like a football player. No one has said anything yet other than that he is a bad QB, which there is evidence of at two different colleges.

I honestly hope he does well, but I’m not gonna act like fans disliking him is some grievous insult.
Its okay to not like how a player does on the field, for sure. It's not okay to make it personal. JG legit got death threats at UT, which is sad.

I was as frustrated as anyone by his on the field performance, but I give him huge credit for having the balls to stand back there and take shot after shot, and never give up even though the fanbase hated him.

I wish him nothing but the best.

Makes you wonder what CJH could've done with him...He never really had a good QB coach the entire time he was here....I wish him luck, He wasn't the best we've ever had but he was a VOL and We should be happy he wanted to be a VOL...He doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

VN Store

Back