The guy Currie ran off at Kansas State just took out No. 2 seed Dook

i think Frank has toned down since his days at K-state,and a lot since his bouncer days in south Florida. it seems hard for a coach like him in today's collage sports,to much discipline,to much foul language. I like him .but he11 i liked Bob Knight

P S
great thread

Last edited:
Frank Martin learned for one of the most underrated coaches in Bob Huggins and Brad Underwood learned from both. Underwood will make Illinois relevant again.

Frank Martin learned for one of the most underrated coaches in Bob Huggins and Brad Underwood learned from both. Underwood will make Illinois relevant again.

I like Underwood too, but I have a feeling that his ties to Huggins and Martin probably kept him from being a viable candidate for the Tennessee job two years ago.

Thanks for fighting the good fight, Freak. Total agreement. Bottom line, he wins games and the NCAA is not in town. K-State is worse, not better since he left. Currie, on the other hand, has left a trail behind him. Maybe both needed a change of scenery. The only problem is Currie is returning to the scene of the crimes.

Reactions: 2 people
I heard he fired CFM for his relentless use of coach-speak in his press conferences.

(Just providing Currie some nega-cover.)

Frank Martin has done a nice job at South Carolina. Even so, I didn't see them taking out Duke.

I was pulling for SC but if that games played ANYWHERE else Duke wins...,political correctness gone crazy and now in your NCAA basketball!!!

And since we're talking about Martin's time at Kansas State, how would you guys say his replacement, Bruce Weber, has done there? Better or worse?

Martin took over the program from Bob Huggins. Huggins replaced Jim Woodridge who coached KSU for 6 years compiling an overall losing record, with 0 20+ win seasons and 0 winning conference efforts. The previous 3 HCs at KSU prior to Huggins (Dana Altman, Tom Asbury, and Woodridge) combined for a 236-232 overall record.

Huggins coached Kansas St. for one year only, but turned the program around to a 23-12 (10-6) record and reached the 2nd round of the NIT. He put together a top recruiting staff that included Martin, and together they brought in 2 recruiting classes that were excellent in talent: the 2nd class was ranked #1 overall by Rivals.

But Huggins left after one year to become HC of his alma mater WVU, and Martin was promoted to head coach at Kansas State in succession.

So Martin had one year of program building under Huggins, and a roster with excellent young talent that he played a large role in recruiting to Manhattan. In Martin's 5 years at Kansas St., he led the Wildcats to 4 NCAA tournaments - the first appearances in over a decade for the program - including an Elite Eight appearance in 2009-10. Martin went 117-54 (.684) overall and 50-32 (.610) in conference play. The one year they didn't make the NCAA, they played in the NIT. Kansas St. never failed to win 20+ games a season, with the lowest win total being 21, in Martin's 1st year as head coach. In post-season tournament play, Martin's teams at KSU went 5-0 in the first rounds.

Weber replaced Martin and now has been HC at KSU for 5 years, like Martin. He's compiled a record of 100-68 (.595) overall, and 45-45 (.500) in the Big12. KSU under Weber have gone to 3 NCAA tournaments, with all three ending with round of 64 losses. Kansas St.'s best year under Weber was his 1st season, when they went 27-8 (14-4) and won the Big12 regular season championship. KSU has gone 73-60 (.549) overall and 31-41 (.431) in conference play since.

Yeah, both coaches have done basically the same....

:blink:

Reactions: 1 person
This article is pretty accurate, according to how it was reported by the local sports radio and newspapers here that cover K-State.

Exactly, Martin left KState because about half the team was going to transfer. He stepped over the line with cursing the players and they were fed up. SC lucked up. It does look like Martin learned from this experience.

UT athletics are in the dump and Currie is not the fix.

UT just went winless against USC in baseball, basketball, and football...combined. let that sink in.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't know. Even if South Carolina had lost tonight, he's still won a lot of games the past two years.

I think it's more of an issue that you run off ago who's been to three-straight NCAA Tournaments and four in five years.

And I don't like the idea of an AD having a reputation as a compliance guy. In this day and age of college sports, how many coaches do you think like the idea of their boss being a compliance guy? :)

I would say Ole Miss isn't too happy that Ross Bjork didn't care what Hugh Freeze was doing. There is some middle ground. Give your coaches some room to do as they please, but you can't turn a blind eye when it's obvious that rules are being broken. AD's themselves get fired for that, and it will be interesting to see if Bjork can survive long term.

Has this been posted about Frank Martin? If this article is correct, Currie did the right thing in my opinion. Everyone needs to give Currie a chance until he proves he is not deserving of one.

http://jugofsnyder.com/2012/05/07/k...r-jared-king-named-big-12-player-of-the-week/

Sorry, I didn't read all responses. It looks like several others have seen this. I think many of us would have fired Martin based on the fact that half the team or more wanted Martin gone due to his continuous bad treatment of players.

I don't know if he had any ties to South Carolina. Timing maybe?

On the other hand -- just to play devil's advocate -- if he's a known cheater and horses ass, how does he land in the SEC?

I don't know. It's an interesting discussion. If Martin doesn't have any NCAA marks on his record and hasn't had an issue getting along with the folks at South Carolina, while Currie seems to have relationship issues all around, to me, that points to Currie being the problem.

Was recruited there by Eddie Fogler.

Worse but Martin took over a better program when Huggins left IMO.

Martin took over a strong program at KState from HuggyBear.

My biggest concern about Currie is when he did hire a head coach, he hired one that was just fired at a big school...oh wait, Tennessee just did that too!

Martin took over a strong program at KState from HuggyBear.

My biggest concern about Currie is when he did hire a head coach, he hired one that was just fired at a big school...oh wait, Tennessee just did that too!

coached at Texas for, what, 15 or more years? Not having your contract renewed after a long and fairly successful tenure if far different than getting sacked for poor results after a few years. Worth noting....

Reactions: 3 people
I don't know if he had any ties to South Carolina. Timing maybe?

On the other hand -- just to play devil's advocate -- if he's a known cheater and horses ass, how does he land in the SEC?

I don't know. It's an interesting discussion. If Martin doesn't have any NCAA marks on his record and hasn't had an issue getting along with the folks at South Carolina, while Currie seems to have relationship issues all around, to me, that points to Currie being the problem.

That's easy to answer. USCe just won their first NCAAT game in 44 years. When schools have a drought like that, they gamble and are desperate to find someone who will win even if they have baggage. It appears it worked out for them. I don't know if Martin has calmed down or if his current players are tougher, but there hasn't been any issues publicized. That's the gamble that you take- hoping that a coach changes.

Last edited:
UT athletics are in the dump and Currie is not the fix.

UT just went winless against USC in baseball, basketball, and football...combined. let that sink in.

Currie is not even on the job yet and you are blaming last weekend’s baseball loses on him. Let that sink in.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back