The guy Currie ran off at Kansas State just took out No. 2 seed Dook

Depends on how much of that article I linked to was factual, imo.

For starters, I don't put a whole lot of stock in FanSided. I've read some really dumb things there over the years. But there's no doubt Martin has a strong personality and that may not sit well with some folks.

Whatever the case, he seems to be overcoming the issues. Like I said, he's won 50 games at South Carolina the last two years.

Reactions: 2 people
You are right. 5th year and he is 38-52 in the SEC. No way folks around Knoxville would be that patient.

No many a lot of medicroe coaches have been there. Just like now.

If he goes back to the Dance next year we can talk but right now he took too long to rebuild.

I'm not arguing patience. Many fan bases may not have been as patient. But he seems to have gotten the job done, even if it took him a year or two longer than many folks might have expected.

Who knows what the exact circumstances were in Columbia five years ago? He's won more SEC games every year than he did the previous season.

I'm not arguing patience. Many fan bases may not have been as patient. But he seems to have gotten the job done, even if it took him a year or two longer than many folks might have expected.

Who knows what the exact circumstances were in Columbia five years ago? He's won more SEC games every year than he did the previous season.

He's slowly built it and he did it by playing a terribly weak OOC schedule or his overall record would have been much worse. I wonder if Barnes had done that this year what people would have said with 19-20 wins and still no postseason

And since we're talking about Martin's time at Kansas State, how would you guys say his replacement, Bruce Weber, has done there? Better or worse?

Reactions: 1 person
And since we're talking about Martin's time at Kansas State, how would you guys say his replacement, Bruce Weber, has done there? Better or worse?

Worse but Martin took over a better program when Huggins left IMO.

He's slowly built it and he did it by playing a terribly weak OOC schedule or his overall record would have been much worse. I wonder if Barnes had done that this year what people would have said with 19-20 wins and still no postseason

Whatever his personality and whatever tactics, he just knocked off Duke and is heading to the Sweet 16. I'm not sure how you can look at his resume as a head coach and not give him credit for doing a nice job.

I'm not claiming he's John Wooden, but he's had success at two different schools now. And Kansas State hasn't yet matched the level of success he had there.

Reactions: 7 people
The fans at K State were pissed when Martin got hired. They didn't want him. When Currie came in, there was a growing commotion (as the result of a lawsuit w his agent I believe) about how Michael Beasley received impermissible benefits and the same guy had recruited Pullem to Manhattan. Then Jamar Samuels was purported to have received benefits from the same guy so Currie stepped in.

It's one thing if we question our own, but this guy can $&*%. lol

Justin Phelps: Whoever the AD was at Kansas State has to hate themselves for letting @FrankMartin_SC go. This guy is a complete winner.

Hmm...makes you wonder what might happen here if the hair-triggers would give Barnes that sort of time. Instead, they're ready to fire and start over after two sessons.

Tennessee and South Carolina were in similar shape for different reasons at the beginning of each coach's tenure. Carolina had a crappy product, but they had stability at least and no NCAA cloud hanging around. Tennessee had a better recent product, but a toxic environment that wasn't attractive to many/most head coaches willing to make the move. Cutting bait with Barnes now just reinforces that belief and continues the cycle.

I think your thread tile probably rubs some people the wrong way because it reeks of an agenda, which you very likely don't have. I'll admit, I had a few other posters in mind as the authors of this thread when I opened it. I was a little surprised, but hey, click bait, right? :)

Hmm...makes you wonder what might happen here if the hair-triggers would give Barnes that sort of time. Instead, they're ready to fire and start over after two sessons.

Tennessee and South Carolina were in similar shape for different reasons at the beginning of each coach's tenure. Carolina had a crappy product, but they had stability at least and no NCAA cloud hanging around. Tennessee had a better recent product, but a toxic environment that wasn't attractive to many/most head coaches willing to make the move. Cutting bait with Barnes now just reinforces that belief and continues the cycle.

I think your thread tile probably rubs some people the wrong way because it reeks of an agenda, which you very likely don't have. I'll admit, I had a few other posters in mind as the authors of this thread when I opened it. I was a little surprised, but hey, click bait, right? :)

I'm not really a click bait kind of guy, at least not intentionally. Be honest, you know lots of people were thinking the same thing about Currie tonight. lol.

As for Barnes, I'm not ready to cut ties with him, I'm not sure how many are. I'm just jealous of programs in the tournament when we aren't.

Recruiting has bothered me a little with Barnes, but I think Pons is the type of player we expected to see here under this regime. I can't wait to see him lace 'em up.

I think it is a totally fair question, and I think a blatant avoidance of this point or getting angry that it is being raised is actually more indicative of an agenda.

Running off Frank Martin is by far the most notable (really the only notable) thing he did while at Kansas State, and he did so not for performance or for cause but because he butted heads with him. That's certainly worth bringing up.

Recruiting has bothered me a little with Barnes, but I think Pons is the type of player we expected to see here under this regime. I can't wait to see him lace 'em up.

That's interesting, because recruiting was never the problem with Barnes while he was at Texas. It was underachievement.

That's interesting, because recruiting was never the problem with Barnes while he was at Texas. It was underachievement.

I meant his recruiting since he arrived here. I expected to see him bring in a few more talented players than he did his first couple of years. Then again, I was nicely surprised by the level of play of our young guys this year, despite their ratings.

I'm not really a click bait kind of guy, at least not intentionally. Be honest, you know lots of people were thinking the same thing about Currie tonight. lol.

As for Barnes, I'm not ready to cut ties with him, I'm not sure how many are. I'm just jealous of programs in the tournament when we aren't.

I'll be honest, it never even occurred to me. Currie is gonna do his thing here. Who knows, maybe he's learned from his mistakes, and maybe he let Martin walk when it was best for both parties considering the alleged NCAA violations. Perhaps Currie, a big compliance guy, felt it was best to let FM walk away.

We'll never know now, but this is only a story because Martin was successful this year. If he continues down his mediocre path of the first four seasons this year, nobody even cares.

Was kidding about click bait btw. :salute:

I think it is a totally fair question, and I think a blatant avoidance of this point or getting angry that it is being raised is actually more indicative of an agenda.

Running off Frank Martin is by far the most notable (really the only notable) thing he did while at Kansas State, and he did so not for performance or for cause but because he butted heads with him. That's certainly worth bringing up.

I don't think anyone is angry though. Just presenting the other side.

Duke has now lost to South Carolina in 2017 and Mercer in 2014 in the NCAA Tournament.

Coach K might start getting some heat from restless Duke fans.

Oh, and just the fact that there was starting to become a pattern of players from a certain AAU program on the East Coast that were purported to have received impermissible benefits and they also happened to be going to Kansas State.

I'll be honest, it never even occurred to me. Currie is gonna do his thing here. Who knows, maybe he's learned from his mistakes, and maybe he let Martin walk when it was best for both parties considering the alleged NCAA violations. Perhaps Currie, a big compliance guy, felt it was best to let FM walk away.

We'll never know now, but this is only a story because Martin was successful this year. If he continues down his mediocre path of the first four seasons this year, nobody even cares.

Was kidding about click bait btw. :salute:

I don't know. Even if South Carolina had lost tonight, he's still won a lot of games the past two years.

I think it's more of an issue that you run off ago who's been to three-straight NCAA Tournaments and four in five years.

And I don't like the idea of an AD having a reputation as a compliance guy. In this day and age of college sports, how many coaches do you think like the idea of their boss being a compliance guy? :)

The fans at K State were pissed when Martin got hired. They didn't want him. When Currie came in, there was a growing commotion (as the result of a lawsuit w his agent I believe) about how Michael Beasley received impermissible benefits and the same guy had recruited Pullem to Manhattan. Then Jamar Samuels was purported to have received benefits from the same guy so Currie stepped in.

Speaking of Kansas State fans, I also think they were pretty happy to see Currie leave. Doesn't seem like they wanted him either.

Reactions: 6 people
Oh, and just the fact that there was starting to become a pattern of players from a certain AAU program on the East Coast that were purported to have received impermissible benefits and they also
happened to be going to Kansas State.

Don't act like he just was without grounds to get involved with the basketball program

It's been well-documented that Martin ultimately left because of a personality conflict with Currie, not just because of an AAU kid who got $200. That kind of stuff happens all the time and coaches don't leave over it. Let's also not act like Martin had guys committing first-degree murder on his team and Currie was the knight in shining armor coming into clean it up.

He apparently didn't have good relationships with lots of people in the athletic department, even including Bill Snyder, and did stuff like trying to control the kickoff times of games over objections from Snyder. Kansas State people seemed pretty ambivalent over his departure, which isn't really what you want to see.

VN Store

Back