The Bruce Pearl Thread

Would you be for Bruce Pearl's return if Martin is fired after next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and while we're at it... Buzz can be his main assistant, also Kevin O'Neal is currently available; he could be the lead recruiter. Let's also bring back Fulmer, he can hire Johnny Majors as an assistant. How about Kiffin, Hamilton, or even Juicy Locke?

Sound ridiculous, OP? Good, now you know how the intelligent folks on the board see your post.

Your avatar.... :good!: :lol: Bungholio !

Is the real problem with this team the utter lack of a point guard? Maymon was a loss but sometimes it does not look like we know how to take the ball up court. When we do we think we can make an entry pass without the bounce.

What many people don't seem to realize is that the 'show cause' is not a death penalty. The man is not necessarily exiled from coaching for the entire duration of the show cause penalty. UT or any other university could hire, or try to hire, Bruce Pearl right now. Any university wishing to make him their head coach only needs to appear before the ncaa committee and show cause as to why they should allow the university to hire him before the show cause deadline occurs. As long as the committee approves the hiring, Bruce can take the job. Personally, I can't thing of anyone better qualified to dig UT out of the SEC cellar and take us back to the heights of college basketball. He's already proven that he can do it. No one else we might hire to replace Cuonzo could say that, nor would anyone else be as enthusiastic about the opportunity to, once again, turn the Vols into winners. Whether or not Cuonzo has it in him to do as well with the Vols as Bruce did, it's certainly going to take him a lot longer, perhaps decades. I'm not that patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
What many people don't seem to realize is that the 'show cause' is not a death penalty. The man is not necessarily exiled from coaching for the entire duration of the show cause penalty. UT or any other university could hire, or try to hire, Bruce Pearl right now. Any university wishing to make him their head coach only needs to appear before the ncaa committee and show cause as to why they should allow the university to hire him before the show cause deadline occurs. As long as the committee approves the hiring, Bruce can take the job.

Solid

What many people don't seem to realize is that the 'show cause' is not a death penalty. The man is not necessarily exiled from coaching for the entire duration of the show cause penalty. UT or any other university could hire, or try to hire, Bruce Pearl right now. Any university wishing to make him their head coach only needs to appear before the ncaa committee and show cause as to why they should allow the university to hire him before the show cause deadline occurs. As long as the committee approves the hiring, Bruce can take the job.

And many people also don't seem to realize that after hiring said coach, the school can be subjected to penalties that come along with the coach and hit harder if further infractions occur. Hiring a coach with a Show Cause is the equivalent of gladly accepting a case of coaching herpes.

Yeah, but we don't need Bruce yet.

And many people also don't seem to realize that after hiring said coach, the school can be subjected to penalties that come along with the coach and hit harder if further infractions occur. Hiring a coach with a Show Cause is the equivalent of gladly accepting a case of coaching herpes.

That's a big if. No one out there would be as likely as Bruce to behave himself as long as the probationary period is in effect. He knows better than anyone the cost of failing to strictly adhere to the ncaa rules, even the arcane and downright sill ones. Do you think for a moment he would risk losing his dream job a second time?

What many people don't seem to realize is that the 'show cause' is not a death penalty.

For a coach, it pretty much is. Only one coach in NCAA history has ever landed another D-I head coaching job after a show cause. That's Todd Bozeman...and the job was...Morgan State. No power conference program is going to take a chance on someone with Pearl's baggage who hasn't been to a Final Four.

For a coach, it pretty much is. Only one coach in NCAA history has ever landed another D-I head coaching job after a show cause. That's Todd Bozeman...and the job was...Morgan State. No power conference program is going to take a chance on someone with Pearl's baggage who hasn't been to a Final Four.

I wouldn't bet on that. Past may be prologue, but it is not necessarily epilogue. Nor can any precedent be universally applied. There's a first time for everything and I'm sure at least one needy program is going to come knocking on Bruce's door after the show cause has expired, if not before.

Bruce Pearl is not Todd Bozeman and the baggage to which you refer is minimal - tantamount to carry-on baggage, not checked baggage. As Isaac Asimov said, "The only constant is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be." That aphorism bodes well for Bruce and his inevitable return to the coaching ranks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet on that. Past may be prologue, but it is not necessarily epilogue. Nor can any precedent be universally applied. There's a first time for everything and I'm sure at least one needy program is going to come knocking on Bruce's door after the show cause has expired, if not before.

Bruce Pearl is not Todd Bozeman and the baggage to which you refer is minimal - tantamount to carry-on baggage, not checked baggage. As Isaac Asimov said, "The only constant is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be." That aphorism bodes well for Bruce and his inevitable return to the coaching ranks.

It will not be before.

Especially when you're one of the most well-known whistle blowers in NCAA history.

In 2 years, I think you'll find that plenty of teams overlook these facts. Tennessee would be wise to be one of them if their current record continues.

C'mon Cuonzo!

One of the silliest threads ever. He will never be employed by UT again.

Why shouldnt he be though? Once he serves his time, he is fair game. It isnt like he cheated US. UT Basketball = CBP. I hope I am wrong and CCM turns it on next year, though even if that team is better, it still wont be as much fun to watch as a CBP team.

But seriously, why cant we be the team that gives him his 2nd chance? Anyone?

His firing impacted us..we're not the same...as in we're bad now
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back