The 6A District 7 Thread

Maryville didn't. Rankin at Riverdale did. I have no doubt he does it at Maryville either.

And, I don't like Smyrna. I hate them with a passion, but I stick up for my conference. Smyrna wins that game without a botched snap. Smyrna's line whipped Maryville's and you know it. Maryville got the breaks, Smyrna didn't.

Oh, fyi, George Quarles is the head coach at Maryville, and Gary Rankin is the head coach at Alcoa. May want to get your facts straight before making wild accusations.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Regardless, 1 team is not a whole district, and that is what this is about. Saying a district is top to bottom tougher does not take away from the fact that Maryville is a great team. I'm not sure why everyone takes it as such a slight.

Wow, I did just make myself look a complete idiot. Sorry about that DarthVisor. Don't know why I thought Rankin was at Maryville, I do admit that was a mistake.

Idea:

Alcoa and Maryville take on you beloved district in a "M&A Vs. the world" style tournament. I'm willing to bet I can pick the winner.

Btw, this isn't a biased thing either. I'm a Heritage graduate.

Blackman or Riverdale vs. Maryville in the State Championship game this year. Agree or Disagree?

Maryville got all the breaks in title game. Thats a new one on me. Maryville lost their All State Quarterback Patton Robinette at halftime.

Wow, this thread is allsome. Let me get this straight. The most dominant team that has ever played in Tennessee would be middle of the pack in the feared district 7. Yet, Maryville legitimately won a football game against the best district 7 team last December. This does not compute. By the transcendental property of equality, Maryville was better than the best team in D7. But, but ,but the all state RB was hurt. SORRY! Welcome to football!

MBA drilled Oakland in last nights scrimmage. If Oakland was representative of the talent in that district, then I truly feel sorry for Its defenders in this thread. Maybe Oakland just sucks.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Pretty sure this thread started as what is the best district, not best team. Noone is arguing who that is. It's Alcoa.

I, for one, would just like to see Maryville and Alcoa play all of the Murfreesboro teams. Think it would be fun to watch. But that's just me - I like football more than I like assuming and arguing that I know things that I can't possibly know.

It's simply not possible to project how Maryville would do in the region with the M'boro teams. I wouldn't bet against Maryville, but I also know that the Murfreesboro/RuCo teams are good and have incredible numbers. I know that huge numbers of players to choose from is a very tough thing to overcome.

For example, Blackman had a freshman scrimmage a couple days ago and dressed out 84 kids. For a FRESHMAN scrimmage. I know Maryville's great, but if I were their coach or even a fan, I wouldn't be dying to play in a region that has four teams with those kinds of numbers year in and year out.

With Murfreesboro still growing, the numbers available to these teams are becoming incredible and shouldn't be ignored as a factor in their potential, imo.

Last edited:
I, for one, would just like to see Maryville and Alcoa play all of the Murfreesboro teams. Think it would be fun to watch. But that's just me - I like football more than I like assuming and arguing that I know things that I can't possibly know.

It's simply not possible to project how Maryville would do in the region with the M'boro teams. I wouldn't bet against Maryville, but I also know that the Murfreesboro/RuCo teams are good and have incredible numbers. I know that huge numbers of players to choose from is a very tough thing to overcome.

For example, Blackman had a freshman scrimmage a couple days ago and dressed out 84 kids. For a FRESHMAN scrimmage. I know Maryville's great, but if I were their coach or even a fan, I wouldn't be dying to play in a region that has four teams with those kinds of numbers year in and year out.

With Murfreesboro still growing, the numbers available to these teams are becoming incredible and shouldn't be ignored as a factor in their potential, imo.

Most people know that. But sadly, most East Tennesseans are stuck up either Alcoa's or Maryville's ***.

Fifteen players were disciplined after a fight Tuesday during a football scrimmage between Gallatin and Smyrna.

Smyrna Coach Matt Williams was knocked to the ground for several minutes while trying to break up the fight. A player was pushed into him, and the player’s helmet hit the coach in the jaw.

“It did knock him for a loop,” Smyrna Principal Rick Powell said of Williams. “But he’s fine.”

Thirteen players were punished from Gallatin, Sumner County school board spokesman Jeremy Johnson said, including one who was dismissed from the team. Neither Johnson nor Principal Ron Becker would identify the players.

Four of the Green Wave were suspended for Friday’s jamboree with Riverdale as well as the first two regular-season games against Wilson Central on Aug. 19 and Springfield on Aug. 26. Five others are suspended for the jamboree and the first regular-season game.

Three Gallatin players were suspended for the jamboree only.

Two Smyrna players were suspended for the first quarter of the Bulldogs’ opener Aug. 19 against Battle Ground Academy and missed Thursday’s scrimmage at Overton. Powell would not identify the players.

The incident occurred during a Gallatin offensive possession midway through Tuesday’s scrimmage. A player from Smyrna and a player from Gallatin got tangled up after the whistle.

Several players from each team then got involved in the skirmish, including some off the sideline.

“We watched the video,” Becker said. “One of our players was hit late — it was a personal foul and the referee threw the flag. Our player reacted inappropriately. His reaction caused several skirmishes.

“We watched video of several of the skirmishes simultaneously. Our belief is that it was totally unacceptable. That’s not how you represent Gallatin High School.”

In a letter to the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, Williams said that two Smyrna players “were guilty of escalating the situation, but both of these players were on the field and involved with the play that preceded the event.”

“We have dealt with the two individuals involved in it,” Powell said. “Ours was more of a late hit, an unsportsmanlike conduct.”

Because the incident was a scrimmage, the state association doesn’t get involved in determining discipline.

saw Oakland beat Arlington tonight 27-17. Oakland looks bad. Chesterfield is a good RB but the oline is terrible. was probably 10 holding penalties . oakland has no passing game, no pass defense. dline played ok. looks like it will be a rough season

VN Store

Back