Terrible Awful Horrible Coaching

Mizzou is the best team we have played this year besides Bama. We started 7 TRUE Freshmen, played without our starting center, without our best defensive player and the leader of our secondary for the first half. Our O line was completely overmatched by the best defensive line we have played. Thanks to good coaching we actually made a game of it against a top 20 team. If we get even average O line play next season, we will compete for the SEC East championship.

Once again, the negavols lurk in the shadows, suffering through a couple of thrilling UT victories that won't allow them to spew their negativity, and as soon as the team slips up a little they pounce on their opportunity to spread misery again.

Here we go again. VN gets another week of nonsense threads about mid major coaches who are garbage and not qualified for the SEC, rabble, rabble, rabble...

Good grief...

Yea it's all unicorns and rainbows with the program.

Reactions: 1 person
the bad oline that butch got from dooley is the problem---it will take 2-3 more years to get a top quality oline

It may take much longer than that. They had the quality players last year but not a good line. The coaching staff needs to learn how to coach a line into an effective unit. Those stunts that MO d line was running is going to take strategy.

It may take much longer than that. They had the quality players last year but not a good line. The coaching staff needs to learn how to coach a line into an effective unit. Those stunts that MO d line was running is going to take strategy.

Losing Crowder was huge blow, and people are undervaluing that point.

Once again, the negavols lurk in the shadows, suffering through a couple of thrilling UT victories that won't allow them to spew their negativity, and as soon as the team slips up a little they pounce on their opportunity to spread misery again.

Here we go again. VN gets another week of nonsense threads about mid major coaches who are garbage and not qualified for the SEC, rabble, rabble, rabble...

Good grief...

What are people supposed to talk about, all the good things that happened? Sorry but there was no moral victory in this one.

Reactions: 3 people
My god I truly wish fans like you would just go away. These kids played their ass off and got beat. We are terribly banged up, and without our best player. Our make shift line was going up against the best front we've seen all year and seeing who we've played that's a hell of a compliment. At the start of the year we said a bowl would be a great year and guess what we can make that happen. Suck it up or send in your resume as I'm sure you know more than our coach does about coaching division 1 football.

Excellent points; but, I still put a lot of accountability on coaching staff. These are the kinds of games when you have an opponent with offensive confusion/penalties, that you strategize how to capitalize on that advantage and come away with a win.

I stop listening to CBJ's presser after 5 minutes every time, because the "resiliency" offering gets old. As he likes to say, half of all college football teams lost yesterday. But, CBJ never puts forth an observation that the coaching staff should have done a better job.

Yes, we have great kids who probably hang their heads in the locker room and offer a "my bad" to his teammates.

It would be refreshing in the game review if CBJ ever offered up a "my bad".

Guess all should stay away. Message boards are designed to exchange ideas and spark dialogue. It is amusing in here how many react to criticism of either coaches or players. Tonight was a mix of a young team that were put into some bad positions by poor coaching. Not all game long but enough to matter. The team owned this and by that I include the staff. Youth is not the only "excuse" tonight.

(*sigh*) One of my favorite posters on here, too. I never said that, HV. My issue is with the mental midgets on here, that are only seen after a loss, that have absolutely jack and **** to say unless it's to criticize/defame the coaches. Where was OP after the SCjr game, for example??

I will say, there are some that are at least consistent with their dumb***ery (SGM being the first one that pops into my head). People like that are living proof that some folks wouldn't be happy of ya hung 'em with a brand new rope.

Excellent points; but, I still put a lot of accountability on coaching staff. These are the kinds of games when you have an opponent with offensive confusion/penalties, that you strategize how to capitalize on that advantage and come away with a win.

I stop listening to CBJ's presser after 5 minutes every time, because the "resiliency" offering gets old. As he likes to say, half of all college football teams lost yesterday. But, CBJ never puts forth an observation that the coaching staff should have done a better job.

Yes, we have great kids who probably hang their heads in the locker room and offer a "my bad" to his teammates.

Wow, this guy is working his azz off to rebuild our program after what has been the worst 4 consecutive years in the history of our program due to an Athletics Director ( Hamilton) that made the worst hire in the history of our program. How CBJ is able to recruit top 10 classes may not prove he is a great coach but it does prove he can recruit which where rebuilding has to start. Remember, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t and BJ inherited chicken Sh!t!

After looking at some of the comments here I hope our team is playing for themselves and not for the fans.The way (Some) of us talking to each other we don't deserve a team.

Last edited:
Guess all should stay away. Message boards are designed to exchange ideas and spark dialogue. It is amusing in here how many react to criticism of either coaches or players. Tonight was a mix of a young team that were put into some bad positions by poor coaching. Not all game long but enough to matter. The team owned this and by that I include the staff. Youth is not the only "excuse" tonight.

Good post

So the next time you're in a meeting discussing a project that didn't work out correctly due to insufficient resources, are you going to stand up and confess to it being your bad?

I had no problem with going into halftime tied up since our offense was as dead as it was against Florida.

I did not like the timeout late when we were threatening. I did notice that Butch Jones did not like it either. His ability to see a problem resulted in the timeout. One that I couldn't see. The onside challenge was a mistake IMO but the announcers were rather confused by several event on te onside attempts. It wasn't as clear as you made it out to be for anyone in real time. You were just like the rest of watching those plays thinking wtf.

When everyone is off their emotional drain go back and really look. We had zero chance on offense. Between Hurd being touched by numerous defenders in the backfield on most plays, Dobbs taking hrs like Worley vs Oklahoma, the receivers having 7 defenders on most plays, and our young corners being locked up with their big recievers was the game. We only won on special teams.

We didn't go down field because downfield was locked up. We take a chance an Dobbs has several picks last night. The coverage was allowing screens all night
The timeouts would not have mattered in the end. Our offense would not have went the entire field with 15 seconds Coleman and McNiel gave up 14 in the fourth by letting their reciever get to space where any throw not under thrown was a TD. Appreciate their effort but when the game is on the line I don't like seeing the ball thrown anywhere near them.

Barrnet's penalty was overdue by three games. Not saying he is the reason we lost but the time we had left back and not giving them points would have helped.

We watched a younger more inexperienced team get sacked, tackled for loss, and turnover it's way to an 8 point lose to what looks to be the east champion. I wanted this game but Vandy is next and the season goal of a bowl game is there for the taking. MCB is the mission.

So the next time you're in a meeting discussing a project that didn't work out correctly due to insufficient resources, are you going to stand up and confess to it being your bad?

I had no problem with going into halftime tied up since our offense was as dead as it was against Florida.

I did not like the timeout late when we were threatening. I did notice that Butch Jones did not like it either. His ability to see a problem resulted in the timeout. One that I couldn't see. The onside challenge was a mistake IMO but the announcers were rather confused by several event on te onside attempts. It wasn't as clear as you made it out to be for anyone in real time. You were just like the rest of watching those plays thinking wtf.

When everyone is off their emotional drain go back and really look. We had zero chance on offense. Between Hurd being touched by numerous defenders in the backfield on most plays, Dobbs taking hrs like Worley vs Oklahoma, the receivers having 7 defenders on most plays, and our young corners being locked up with their big recievers was the game. We only won on special teams.

We didn't go down field because downfield was locked up. We take a chance an Dobbs has several picks last night. The coverage was allowing screens all night
The timeouts would not have mattered in the end. Our offense would not have went the entire field with 15 seconds Coleman and McNiel gave up 14 in the fourth by letting their reciever get to space where any throw not under thrown was a TD. Appreciate their effort but when the game is on the line I don't like seeing the ball thrown anywhere near them.

Barrnet's penalty was overdue by three games. Not saying he is the reason we lost but the time we had left back and not giving them points would have helped.

We watched a younger more inexperienced team get sacked, tackled for loss, and turnover it's way to an 8 point lose to what looks to be the east champion. I wanted this game but Vandy is next and the season goal of a bowl game is there for the taking. MCB is the mission.

If you were making 3 million a year as CEO of your company, you ARE the man who has to stand up and take responsibility for preparation and execution. CBJ has been a great recruiter at every stop; what I said was, it would be refreshing if he accepted some responsibility, acknowledged coaching acumen across the field, etc. instead of deflecting.

Reactions: 3 people
If you were making 3 million a year as CEO of your company, you ARE the man who has to stand up and take responsibility for preparation and execution. CBJ has been a great recruiter at every stop; what I said was, it would be refreshing if he accepted some responsibility, acknowledged coaching acumen across the field, etc. instead of deflecting.

If you become CEO of a company that has been failing and has lost all of their best employees, you have to rebuild that company by hiring the best employees you can find. If you have the resources, you can hopefully accomplishment this in a couple of years. You will have to spend tons of money to teach your new employees about your program and product. You have the ability to hire employees from your competitors to help in rebuilding the company. Compared to rebuilding a college football team, this is easy pickings.

If you are rebuilding a college football team, you have to recruit high school players to your school. You have to do this with limited resources and fight tooth and nail against you opponets who also want those players. You can not pay them bonuses, incentives, or county club memberships. You have to convince the best player to play football for a college which has a losing record and has not produced an atmosphere of positive thinking. Simply put, you can not rebuild a losing program in one or two years. It takes time change the attitude of the administrative staff of the college, of the football players, and most of all the fans of that college. Without this change , especially of the fans who donate $$$ to the college, you will not be able to succeed.

Coach Jones has made great progress in change the attitude of all three of the areas mentioned except of some of the fans who are too impietent to support the process. To these fans, I despirately ask that you except the fact that CBJ is on the right path to rebuild our football program and have the patients to let him accomplish this process for all of us. Support rather than destroy. Go VOLs.

CBJ mismanaged the game, plain and simple! The timeouts not used before halftime and the timeout used during the onside was retarded!

Reactions: 4 people
The coaches made the adjustment..players didn't execute.

When it was obvious we couldn't run up the middle AND drop back and pass without getting sacked the offense went to quick passes and the receivers kept dropping them. I put the game on the WR's. The coaches are working with young talent. We ran the same plays as the last two weeks. We just played a better D line.

CBJ mismanaged the game, plain and simple! The timeouts not used before halftime and the timeout used during the onside was retarded!

CBJ knew we were out matched...He kept it close so we could have a chance to pull it out in the end and by golly we almost did. Maybe he smelled disaster by using those timeouts in the first half. In the end they out played us and we came up a little short. I'll judge CBJ when he has his players.

(*sigh*) One of my favorite posters on here, too. I never said that, HV. My issue is with the mental midgets on here, that are only seen after a loss, that have absolutely jack and **** to say unless it's to criticize/defame the coaches. Where was OP after the SCjr game, for example??

I will say, there are some that are at least consistent with their dumb***ery (SGM being the first one that pops into my head). People like that are living proof that some folks wouldn't be happy of ya hung 'em with a brand new rope.

Lots of knee jerk reactions to go all the way around. That was my point. Not necessarily at you. My opinion is the staff as well as the players made mistakes. Young team I can understand. Coaching staff not so much.

Those are the same folks who should of said call a f'n timeout Butch at the end the first and then again second half.

Actually call more than one during that 1:50 at the end of the first half. Just a bone headed decision, only trumped by the challenge and waste of a timeout at the end of the game. Can't believe some are even attempting to defend it. It was very doooleyesque

VN Store

Back