Terrible Awful Horrible Coaching

Be interested to know the collective years of FBS coaching all those criticizing have.
I'd say zero, but that is just a guess.

Reactions: 1 person
I had a bigger problem with the onside challenge (which that's more on the booth coaches than Butch IMO) than the TO at the goal line. In that situation you have to make sure you have the right play call to score the first TD or everything else is pointless. This is something even veteran, championship level teams do.

He's right though. You have to criticize coaches when they made horrible calls.

Nah. You don't 'have' to criticize coaches (or players). How could that argument even be supported?

You could say that being an unhappy, over-critical sumbich makes your criticism of the coaching staff necessary. But then that would take the blame for being a criticizer and put it squarely where it belongs. On the shoulders of the criticizer, and not our coaches.

I'm beginning to grow weary of all these internet football coaches. They make this place (VolNation), miserable when we lose. Just seeing some of these thread titles is quite sickening. Even more sickening is the fact that these arse-clowns seem to be under the delusion that their criticism is warranted, or even correct, which is really sad in my opinion.

GoVols.

Last edited:
Be interested to know the collective years of FBS coaching all those criticizing have.
I'd say zero, but that is just a guess.

one can be a coach and not have common sense. its not that hard to see he screwed up timeouts in 1h and 2h both.

I had a bigger problem with the onside challenge (which that's more on the booth coaches than Butch IMO) than the TO at the goal line. In that situation you have to make sure you have the right play call to score the first TD or everything else is pointless. This is something even veteran, championship level teams do.

Veteran, championship level is exactly how I'd described the 2014 Vol football team. :lol:

You obviously were paying close attention to KH's analysis. Did you happen to catch the part about Missouri's game plan? You know, the part about rushing 4, dropping 5 into the middle and keeping 2 safeties deep.

This is why we could not take shots downfield. The OL could not hold up long enough for pass plays to develop and the running game was not effective enough to get them to bring extra help in the box.

o line made those WR drop the passes?...your so smart

images

The game was lost before that. We don't have bodies on the line of scrimmage to compete with the seniors and red shirt seniors on an established program like Missouri yet. We're an average offensive line away from possibly being 9-3.

How are we going to take shots when our offensive line is collapsing every play?

Well said. We lost to a better team. It's that simple.

The offensive line okay was really bad, but that group is so banged up and have played their hearts out. I have a hard time placing any blame on them. And it's a fair point that coach Jake should get somewhat of a pass because he was hamstring by the bad OLine play last night, although it's my opinion that we should have tried more of a downfield passing game, and also run the wildcat a bunch.

However, there is no excuse for the awful clock management both at the end of the first half and on the last drive/onside kick challenge. That was pathetic to les miles proportions (but without the positive results)

The offensive line okay was really bad, but that group is so banged up and have played their hearts out. I have a hard time placing any blame on them. And it's a fair point that coach Jake should get somewhat of a pass because he was hamstring by the bad OLine play last night, although it's my opinion that we should have tried more of a downfield passing game, and also run the wildcat a bunch.

However, there is no excuse for the awful clock management both at the end of the first half and on the last drive/onside kick challenge. That was pathetic to les miles proportions (but without the positive results)
I can't believe there was nobody on the headset telling Butch not to use a challenge.

I can't believe there was nobody on the headset telling Butch not to use a challenge.

The difference was what, 40 seconds on the clock? We would have had no timeouts, and probably 85 yards to drive, so after the first kick call was so botched by the refs, I'm sure Butch figured to trust his gut and challenge it.

The problem people don't see about the whole chain of events last night, we had 6 points in 3 possessions we started in their territory. We had plenty of chances to win the game last night, and couldn't.

Reactions: 2 people

It could be the opposite - maybe someone on the headset was telling him to challenge. Either way, he is the head ball coach and has to be smarter than that. Has to have prepared for that situation.

The difference was what, 40 seconds on the clock? We would have had no timeouts, and probably 85 yards to drive, so after the first kick call was so botched by the refs, I'm sure Butch figured to trust his gut and challenge it.

The problem people don't see about the whole chain of events last night, we had 6 points in 3 possessions we started in their territory. We had plenty of chances to win the game last night, and couldn't.

These are good points - but you have to make the right decisions to give your team a fighting chance. He took that out of their hands last night with some boneheaded clock management.

These are good points - but you have to make the right decisions to give your team a fighting chance. He took that out of their hands last night with some boneheaded clock management.

Our clock management wouldn't have even had a chance to be an issue, if we score some points prior to that, with those possessions in Mizzou territory. People can blame what they will, but you have to take the game as a whole when looking at the problems. Our O-line getting whooped all night long, and our secondary getting torched in the 4th quarter on those two throws for long TDs, is what doomed us last night.

the bad oline that butch got from dooley is the problem---it will take 2-3 more years to get a top quality oline

I was at the game last night. Great football game. My hat goes off to Missouri. First, that DL we faced last night is large and very athletic. Fast is a good word here. We lost this game. Plain and simple.
We have a lot of YOUNG talent and it is evident. We are on the right track. The timeouts didn't cost us the game. An honest assessment is that Missouri out played us as a whole. Say what you want but Missouri is 9-2, they are a good football team.
Absolutely no one should have thought we were going to dominate this team. We lost move on. 6-6 with a bowl win is still a winning season. Go Vols

Reactions: 3 people
Our clock management wouldn't have even had a chance to be an issue, if we score some points prior to that, with those possessions in Mizzou territory. People can blame what they will, but you have to take the game as a whole when looking at the problems. Our O-line getting whooped all night long, and our secondary getting torched in the 4th quarter on those two throws for long TDs, is what doomed us last night.

I don't disagree with any of this. Strange and frustrating game. Was probably our worst of the season outside of the Florida game.

Once again, the negavols lurk in the shadows, suffering through a couple of thrilling UT victories that won't allow them to spew their negativity, and as soon as the team slips up a little they pounce on their opportunity to spread misery again.

Here we go again. VN gets another week of nonsense threads about mid major coaches who are garbage and not qualified for the SEC, rabble, rabble, rabble...

Good grief...

VN Store

Back