Tennessee Lady Vols return to prominence begins next year.

This has "Bash Holly" all over it! Nothing positive can be said around here OP.

However I do agree. If DD and Mercedes stays, I say we have a good chance to return to a FF. I don't see it happening this year but I love our chances next year. All of our freshman will be productive, we get Cooper and a nasty/nice power forward in Green! Her game reminds me of Nneka Ogwumike!

Im really ready to see what KK brings to the table.I don't think she gets enough air time around here lol. She was ranked #3 her junior year. I just want all of our freshman to be able to make layups and take care of the ball!

If coached right, next year's team, with or without Russell and Diamond, can be very special. It would be great to retain both, however, Russell needs a little work on being aggressive and dominate. The team still needs a vocal leader. In many ways I would not be surprised to see Cooper take on that role. We will be a lot more stable with Cooper at the point. To be successful the team's Dr. Jekyll/Hyde persona must change if we are to be successful with or without Diamond and/or Russell. This could be a lot better team then the 13/14 5 star studded North Carolina team with Diamond at point.

Reactions: 2 people
If coached right, next year's team, with or without Russell and Diamond, can be very special. It would be great to retain both, however, Russell needs a little work on being aggressive and dominate. The team still needs a vocal leader. In many ways I would not be surprised to see Cooper take on that role. We will be a lot more stable with Cooper at the point. To be successful the team's Dr. Jekyll/Hyde persona must change if we are to be successful with or without Diamond and/or Russell. This could be a lot better team then the 13/14 5 star studded North Carolina team with Diamond at point.

Anyone that has watched the team perform the last couple of years under CHW and still has optimism that somehow things will change is an eternal optimist. That is not something I care to share for one minute longer. If you were hired by someone, and paid a salary comparable to what CHW makes, do you think you would still be employed after 5 years considering the expectations that go along with that salary?

I believe these recruits have THE LADY VOL PASSION but time will tell...

Are you saying that you believe that Holly's top recruiting classes, prior to this top recruiting class, lacked the LADY VOL PASSION, not to bash Holly, but wouldn't that somehow show a weakness in coaching and recruiting? I would have to think that most of our recruits come here with a passion to play for the Lady Vols. The key is how do you, as a coach, motivate that passion into positive results? Development is also a big issue. Most 5 stars are highly talented,however, they are not perfect, therefore they have to be developed and imperfections corrected. As Genno once said, you have to push players into greatness. That is what made Pat such a great coach, she pushed players to their limits. Both also demanded effort.

Also, passion has to be encouraged or it can quickly go into decline.

I watched Holly on SEC network talk about their seeding and how they are going to prepare against Dayton. I can tell when a person is not very confident in either herself or the team. I don't know but the ummm and the slow to respond is very concerning to me when you are trying to lead a team. You have to show you are a leader and be very confident and demanding. I know she may come across different to her players and just not in front of the media. but that media interview did not convince me that they will be ready to play Dayton.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone that has watched the team perform the last couple of years under CHW and still has optimism that somehow things will change is an eternal optimist. That is not something I care to share for one minute longer. If you were hired by someone, and paid a salary comparable to what CHW makes, do you think you would still be employed after 5 years considering the expectations that go along with that salary?

I am on your side, if I were Holly, I would quit embarrassing myself and the Lady Vol program and quit. I know and you know that Holly will have to be fired because she will never quit. However, this team could be special, because of Holly I have a lot of doubts. I guess you could say that I am wishing upon a star that more than likely will never shine.

Are you saying that you believe that Holly's top recruiting classes, prior to this top recruiting class, lacked the LADY VOL PASSION, not to bash Holly, but wouldn't that somehow show a weakness in coaching and recruiting? I would have to think that most of our recruits come here with a passion to play for the Lady Vols. The key is how do you, as a coach, motivate that passion into positive results? Development is also a big issue. Most 5 stars are highly talented,however, they are not perfect, therefore they have to be developed and imperfections corrected. As Genno once said, you have to push players into greatness. That is what made Pat such a great coach, she pushed players to their limits. Both also demanded effort.

Also, passion has to be encouraged or it can quickly go into decline.

I know Holly isn't a good coach. However, time and time again certain players lack the ability to lead and demand excellence of themselves and their peers. These recruits seem to be self-motivated with pride in their game. But like I said, we will see. Do I think they will play with more pride and intensity than some current players? Yes. Am I certain? No.

I watched Holly on SEC network talk about their seeding and how they are going to prepare against Dayton. I can tell when a person is not very confident in either herself or the team. I don't know but the ummm and the slow to respond is very concerning to me when you are trying to lead a team. You have to show you are a leader and be very confident and demanding. I know she may come across different to her players and just not in front of the media. but that media interview did not convince me that they will be ready to play Dayton.

Nothing has changed. I saw it the exact same way. She was very hesitant and lacking confidence in her responses. I've seen this show before. Not good.

The only thing I have with me is hope.

I hope that the Lady Vols make it to the Final Four regardless of Holly's ineptitude.

GOLADYVOLS!

Next year team will have so much speed, something that has killed us this year. Mercedes Russell will be a key if she stays next year, will be much stronger and have the senior leadership. She will be much harder to replace then Diamond DeShields because of the players we have coming in next year.

Next year team will have so much speed, something that has killed us this year. Mercedes Russell will be a key if she stays next year, will be much stronger and have the senior leadership. She will be much harder to replace then Diamond DeShields because of the players we have coming in next year.

Agree. Russell will need to provide post stability and scoring while the next generation of post is developed. I believe Holly will land her post target. Who would not want to play for this team with all the talent and the mindset of getting the ball into the post? I think Holly will also land DeCosta and another good wing player to go with the personnel already committed and on the roster. These commitments will need time to develop and adjust to the game. Whether Diamond comes back or not, the fact that a post is needed does not change.

I've avoided all the Holly banter but I am home, sick today and getting my fill of the NCAA news.

I do think the LVs could make it to the 2nd week of the tournament. I also think they could lose to Dayton. From observations, the coaches and the players share responsibility for the past two years. Holly will never be Pat and she doesn't have to be. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect this roster of talented players to perform better against weak opponents. The players have to make shots, defend, and act as if they want to win. Too many times I've watched the LVs be lethargic on defense, clueless on offense and simply run out of gas.

Where I do blame Holly is for the short bench after the recruiting fiasco last year. I know it wasn't all her but the coach is responsible. She made a staff change and there is a great class arriving next year. No, she doesn't perform well in interviews or appear to be the greatest in game coach, but she has taken a lot of heat for these last few years and she actually deserves some credit for taking control of the ship before Pat stepped down. Holly is not the level of Geno, Schafer, Freese, McGraw, maybe not even Staley, but she has been tasked with an almost impossible job.

In short, I don't know all the inner workings of the program or what all has been going on. I do know a little about basketball and have seen behaviors that make me concerned about the program from coaches and players. My wish is for Deshields to go the WNBA, Russell to stay for her final season, and for a new assistant coach to be hired to work on an offensive scheme that maximizes players strengths.

No one is on the current level of Geno, he just happens to have everything clicking around him presently including a good supporting cast of coaches and top players that buy into his system.They stay heathly and are well-conditioned.

Freeze never falter but never seems to be able to jump over the hurdle. She never rises or fall just seems to remain at that level she should have surpass some time ago. But a great motivator and player-developer nevertheless. Not good at D's and Is.

Schafer happens to have Vivian and we will get a chance to see what level he's on when she leaves.
Mcgraw's ship has slowly been sinking since Diggins and crew departed. She's average and like Tara Vanderveer haven't proven anything coaching wise.

Mulkey??? She had the most dominating team and highly feared team for four years and coached to only one....one Matty.
Staley has the most talented team and bench this year, predicted to take it all this year but this charming lady can't coach the best around team on paper.

Holly is better than many of these coaches, but ill-fortune seems to throw the monkey wrench in her works.
None of the above mentioned coaches would have faired any better under similar circumstances in the duration of time,following the illness and sudden passing of the legend and her mentor.
Given all the dominoes falling into place,we may witness what she has learned from her mentor which was plenty, and her own envision of the heights she wants to lead this program towards.
But it"s easy being outside the store,looking into the window and criticizing the dummy that's wearing the wardrobe you will not look good wearing.
It's easy on the outside looking in, until it pours down raining.

Weather forecast for the Tennessee area: Sunny with a few dark clouds.

Reactions: 4 people
No one is on the current level of Geno, he just happens to have everything clicking around him presently including a good supporting cast of coaches and top players that buy into his system.They stay heathly and are well-conditioned.

Freeze never falter but never seems to be able to jump over the hurdle. She never rises or fall just seems to remain at that level she should have surpass some time ago. But a great motivator and player-developer nevertheless. Not good at D's and Is.

Schafer happens to have Vivian and we will get a chance to see what level he's on when she leaves.
Mcgraw's ship has slowly been sinking since Diggins and crew departed. She's average and like Tara Vanderveer haven't proven anything coaching wise.

Mulkey??? She had the most dominating team and highly feared team for four years and coached to only one....one Matty.
Staley has the most talented team and bench this year, predicted to take it all this year but this charming lady can't coach the best around team on paper.

Holly is better than many of these coaches, but ill-fortune seems to throw the monkey wrench in her works.
None of the above mentioned coaches would have faired any better under similar circumstances in the duration of time,following the illness and sudden passing of the legend and her mentor.
Given all the dominoes falling into place,we may witness what she has learned from her mentor which was plenty, and her own envision of the heights she wants to lead this program towards.
But it"s easy being outside the store,looking into the window and criticizing the dummy that's wearing the wardrobe you will not look good wearing.

+10000000! We have so many dark clouds on this board! It's going to be interesting to see where all these clouds will be next season when it's Sunny with clear skies! The influx of talent and what we're getting back will put us in great position to make a run to the top.

Reactions: 3 people
Tara Vanderveer beat Geno a couple times with far less talent. The problem with her it's hard to get top recruits to go to Stanford.

Tara Vanderveer beat Geno a couple times with far less talent. The problem with her it's hard to get top recruits to go to Stanford.

Love the above post from Prophet1.

The talent is there for a lot of teams, but let us face it, Geno has a great system and somehow his teams do not face those season ending injuries.

If South Carolina can get consistent play from Gray and Davis and the point guard plays smart, they have a shot to get back to the final four.

Also, if it were not for Dangerfields monster performance against Baylor the streak may well have ended early in the year. I would like to see them get another shot at UCONN. You better get them this year because they will be heavy favorites next year.

Speaking of Stanford, they have some good recruits coming in next year and they will be pretty good. I thought that Tara V. would retire soon, but who knows.

+10000000! We have so many dark clouds on this board! It's going to be interesting to see where all these clouds will be next season when it's Sunny with clear skies! The influx of talent and what we're getting back will put us in great position to make a run to the top.

Those dark clouds will rain on the program as long as Holly Warlick is the coach.

what you're talking about. One of the most absurd defenses of Warlick I've yet read (with a lot of 4th-grade grammar and spelling).

Warlick is better than McGraw, Mulkey, VanDerveer, Schafer? Really? On what do you base that statement? McGraw has won a national title, been to the Final Four numerous times in recent years, and kicked Warlick's butt pretty much every game since Warlick became head coach until this year, and embarrassed us in a few of those games. We beat ND this year because we have a more talented team this year. You mention Diggins as being a boost to ND--well, duh, all great players help their teams win games. You seem to think that we've not had any good players ourself in recent years. Warlick is not in McGraw's league. Mulkey? She, too, has won a national title--and her team thumped us again this year. VanDerveer also has a national title and has won more games than practically anybody but Summitt.

We've just had two of the worst regular seasons in the history of the program--perhaps you've been sleeping. We haven't even been to the Final Four in a decade--that would be 10 years--much less won a national title. We've been to three Elite Eight games with Warlick--and the Elite Eight is not that hard to achieve given our talent relative to other teams, a fact that dwindling band of Warlick defenders seem to forget--and played terribly and got beat in all three of those games. When Warlck wins something it will be a first. Warlick won't FARE well trying to emulate Summit. PS was 0-4 against Geno in NCAA title games because, great as she was, her UT offenses were typically bad while Geno's team could play defense, rebound AND score, the last point something Summitt's teams always struggled to do. Getting talent always helps, but players need to be taught and motivated and led.

Reactions: 6 people
Are we getting a new coach? We already have a team full of All Americans. More won't fix horrible coaching by someone in over their head.

Reactions: 3 people
what you're talking about. One of the most absurd defenses of Warlick I've yet read (with a lot of 4th-grade grammar and spelling).

Warlick is better than McGraw, Mulkey, VanDerveer, Schafer? Really? On what do you base that statement? McGraw has won a national title, been to the Final Four numerous times in recent years, and kicked Warlick's butt pretty much every game since Warlick became head coach until this year, and embarrassed us in a few of those games. We beat ND this year because we have a more talented team this year. You mention Diggins as being a boost to ND--well, duh, all great players help their teams win games. You seem to think that we've not had any good players ourself in recent years. Warlick is not in McGraw's league. Mulkey? She, too, has won a national title--and her team thumped us again this year. VanDerveer also has a national title and has won more games than practically anybody but Summitt.

We've just had two of the worst regular seasons in the history of the program--perhaps you've been sleeping. We haven't even been to the Final Four in a decade--that would be 10 years--much less won a national title. We've been to three Elite Eight games with Warlick--and the Elite Eight is not that hard to achieve given our talent relative to other teams, a fact that dwindling band of Warlick defenders seem to forget--and played terribly and got beat in all three of those games. When Warlck wins something it will be a first. Warlick won't FARE well trying to emulateSummit. PS was 0-4 against Geno in NCAA title games because, great as she was, her UT offenses were typically bad while Geno's team could play defense, rebound AND score, the last point something Summitt's teams always struggled to do. Getting talent always helps, but players need to be taught and motivated and led.

The only person who reasons that Warlick is better than, Mulkey, McGraw, VanDerveer and Schafer is either delusional, from another planet, has never see a basketball game or all three. Holly is way down the list from the top ten WBB coaches. We need to stop dreaming, take off the rose colored glasses, quit smoking MJ(not Michael Jordan) and waiting for next year and admit that Holly is not the answer for the Lady Vol program to be relevant again.

For this program to reach it's lofty potential,, This team,,,the next team,,,and, on,,, Has to have that one influence in the coaching ranks that can read the players.

If you don't have this influence on your staff, you cannot reach, or read, your players.

My business mentor used to say "either you know, or,, you don't know"
I say, "either, we have, or we don't have" this influence.

There was a lot of mental baggage when the SEC culminated:
DD was fading
Jaime had all but disappeared.
Jordan got called out for saying the truth
Meme's pine time has increased
A\M's role had changed, again
Dunbar's role is..................What role?
Harris....Who?
Only MR and Qui seem to be without mental baggage right now.

For most of these things, the right words and the right approach could turn it around in a blink. I hope someone on staff is able to understand that these things have to be addressed.

For this program to reach it's lofty potential,, This team,,,the next team,,,and, on,,, Has to have that one influence in the coaching ranks that can read the players.

If you don't have this influence on your staff, you cannot reach, or read, your players.

My business mentor used to say "either you know, or,, you don't know"
I say, "either, we have, or we don't have" this influence.

There was a lot of mental baggage when the SEC culminated:
DD was fading
Jaime had all but disappeared.
Jordan got called out for saying the truth
Meme's pine time has increased
A\M's role had changed, again
Dunbar's role is..................What role?
Harris....Who?
Only MR and Qui seem to be without mental baggage right now.

For most of these things, the right words and the right approach could turn it around in a blink. I hope someone on staff is able to understand that these things have to be addressed.

And I'm sure you know just the person who can make it all better.

VN Store

Back