Tennessee Lady Vols return to prominence begins next year.

Return to prominence next year? It has been the same story for the last 6 years with Holly at the helm...not buying it this time. This team may also have masses losses to overcome in Russell and Deshields. The freshmen should be great, but I don't for one second believe they'll develop into star players if Holly is running the show. The 5 top 5 recruits Holly has been able to coach (Graves/Massengale/Burdick/Russell/Deshields) have all greatly underachieved individually and as part of a team during their time here. In the last 4 years, the team went from being a #1 seed, to a #2 seed, to losing 14 games a year ago and will now possibly have their lowest seed ever in the NCAA tournament. This is happening with 3 former top 10 recruits in the starting 5, including a pair of players who took home HS POY awards. It's time for a new staff.

Reactions: 9 people
Okay CJ let's give Holly and the girls their due. They did have a couple of impressive wins. Maybe it will all come together and they win two or three games. That would satisfy some for now. They come into next season with some really outstanding new players and this is how the season plays out......................!!! I would feel comfortable saying, without hesitation, about the same as this year. If I was the new AD it wouldn't be good enough. How about you Jumper?

If impressive win doesn't get u any where, it's not a good win. Winning #1 team today, loosing to #200 team next day tells people that something is wrong with coaching not the players.

Reactions: 1 person
One of Pat Summitt's favorites expressions was, "you are not tough enough". She used this expression to motivate her players to perform to her expectations. Holly Warlick is not tough enough to be a good head coach.

Great talk? A tough coach will never sit and watch her team loose after leading by 15pts, or beating the best teams rank from previous #1,#5 ,#4,#10 then came back & lost to 7 worst unranked teams. Rubbish!!

"Tennessee Lady Vols return to prominence begins next year.

:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove:

tumblr_inline_oijiwqvMsI1trayhf_500_zpswpilvzh7.gif

tumblr_inline_ohmyr6d8Ee1rhjm56_500_zpscjfzm4f5.gif

ONLY if a new head coach is hired and Holly is fired.

Reactions: 4 people
Last year we set a (dubious) school record for most losses in a season, I believe. This year was tied for second worst. We'll become a contender when we get a good coach, and not until.

Reactions: 4 people
Great talk? A tough coach will never sit and watch her team loose after leading by 15pts, or beating the best teams rank from previous #1,#5 ,#4,#10 then came back & lost to 7 worst unranked teams. Rubbish!!

Watch her team loose? If you're going to dog someone for not being good at their job, maybe get a handle on the English language..

Reactions: 5 people
TN will always get the best talent! They say in all of sports two of the the most recognized brand names are TN WBB and UCONN WBB. These icons are worth more than anything money could buy and something that will take years of super effort to equal.

I'd like to lose all these dummy posters who use "loose" when they should use "lose". Go back to school, ya freaks!

Reactions: 2 people
It's speech-to-text on the phone, not that they can't spell.

I use the speech feature quite a lot and it's quite poor at basic spelling and grammar. The one that tickles me is Aubrey Leach on the softball team. Every time I make a post and use her name it comes out leech.

Lot of if's concerning this team, present and future players. With Holly bringing in the #1 recruiting class, she, I believe, will get the opportunity to coach them next year, and if DeShields and Russell stay, she should have a very realistic shot at a very deep run next year. But then again, this is expecting a lot from freshman players. Is it possible? I would say yes, if she can get out of them what Calipari does at Kentucky from a yearly class of new players. However, I don't see anything of Holly's coaching to make me think it's going to happen. I think she gets this opportunity to prove herself. This next season in my opinion, will determine if she will be here in 2019, or this group of players will have a new coach. I really would love to see her show something next year.

I think the talent we have coming in will get us back on top of the SEC and maybe top 10 in the country. If we get another top 3 recruiting class in '18 we better expect some championships. Anything less will be on Holly.

I think the talent we have coming in will get us back on top of the SEC and maybe top 10 in the country. If we get another top 3 recruiting class in '18 we better expect some championships. Anything less will be on Holly.

I agree 100 %! From what I can see from the incoming class all of them seem to have that dog (hunger/aggressiveness) in them and it is instant. They don't have to ask to bring effort and toughness, that competitiveness and refusal to lose is there.

I also think that's what we are missing from Te'a and Green (who also has it).

I see it in MeMe also but she just isn't an offensive player. Diamond has it but she turns it off and on.

The Freshman know that by their Sophomore season (and should Diamond and Mercedes leave this year) a few of them can be starters and what is evident from them all is that they all want to return Tennessee back to it's glory days.

The only one from the current team who says that is Diamond which says that Holly and the other current players and staff doesn't think there is a slip in the program.

I like the optimism.... return to prominence starts next year.... but objectively based on what? Is it the recruiting class? Hoopgurlz says #2, #9, #12, and #55 in country.... that will turn us into team going deep into NCAAs....

But in 2011 didn't we have #3 and #4 in entire country? In 2013 didn't we have #1 and eventually #3 in entire country..... and we have gotten to the Elite 8 yes.....

Is this prominence that is the ceiling for us, or are people expecting Holly to coach this group beyond that?

People will lash out at me for saying this but Holly has improved as a coach. Her game management is better, the offense especially zone offense is much better. I think the issue is finding a way to connect with her players to bring out the best in them every game. Also having a short roster meant keeping them on then floor even when she probably wanted to bench them to send a message. So its really 50-50. The players should want to play hard and win every game but the coach should know what buttons to push. Every game the team was ready to play they had the right game plan, they executed and they won.

Reactions: 6 people
TN will always get the best talent! They say in all of sports two of the the most recognized brand names are TN WBB and UCONN WBB. These icons are worth more than anything money could buy and something that will take years of super effort to equal.

That's still true for now but the name brand will eventually diminish if the underachieving continues. The smart move would be to replace Holly while there is so much great young talent on the way in. Currie won't make such a bold move this soon but he could just about have his pick of a replacement if he did (and was willing to pay top $).

I like the optimism.... return to prominence starts next year.... but objectively based on what? Is it the recruiting class? Hoopgurlz says #2, #9, #12, and #55 in country.... that will turn us into team going deep into NCAAs....

But in 2011 didn't we have #3 and #4 in entire country? In 2013 didn't we have #1 and eventually #3 in entire country..... and we have gotten to the Elite 8 yes.....

Is this prominence that is the ceiling for us, or are people expecting Holly to coach this group beyond that?

I believe these recruits have THE LADY VOL PASSION but time will tell...

Holly is not a bad coach, she's just not a great one. She's middle of the road. If she was a bad coach she would have crashed and burned in the first two years. If she was a great coach we would have seen a much better product on the floor the past few years. Hopefully she will be able to grow and improve as a coach, just as we want our players to grow and improve.

You don't see the crash and burning?

I believe these recruits have THE LADY VOL PASSION but time will tell...

Passion is fine but they are 18 year old girls and they need to be coached....

It is no wonder that a team we all know up north started the year with no all americans and only role players now they are undefeated.... it is because of good coaching.....

Next year's team success will be the result of coaching.... good or bad

I've avoided all the Holly banter but I am home, sick today and getting my fill of the NCAA news.

I do think the LVs could make it to the 2nd week of the tournament. I also think they could lose to Dayton. From observations, the coaches and the players share responsibility for the past two years. Holly will never be Pat and she doesn't have to be. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect this roster of talented players to perform better against weak opponents. The players have to make shots, defend, and act as if they want to win. Too many times I've watched the LVs be lethargic on defense, clueless on offense and simply run out of gas.

Where I do blame Holly is for the short bench after the recruiting fiasco last year. I know it wasn't all her but the coach is responsible. She made a staff change and there is a great class arriving next year. No, she doesn't perform well in interviews or appear to be the greatest in game coach, but she has taken a lot of heat for these last few years and she actually deserves some credit for taking control of the ship before Pat stepped down. Holly is not the level of Geno, Schafer, Freese, McGraw, maybe not even Staley, but she has been tasked with an almost impossible job.

In short, I don't know all the inner workings of the program or what all has been going on. I do know a little about basketball and have seen behaviors that make me concerned about the program from coaches and players. My wish is for Deshields to go the WNBA, Russell to stay for her final season, and for a new assistant coach to be hired to work on an offensive scheme that maximizes players strengths.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree 100 %! From what I can see from the incoming class all of them seem to have that dog (hunger/aggressiveness) in them and it is instant. They don't have to ask to bring effort and toughness, that competitiveness and refusal to lose is there.

I also think that's what we are missing from Te'a and Green (who also has it).

I see it in MeMe also but she just isn't an offensive player. Diamond has it but she turns it off and on.

The Freshman know that by their Sophomore season (and should Diamond and Mercedes leave this year) a few of them can be starters and what is evident from them all is that they all want to return Tennessee back to it's glory days.

The only one from the current team who says that is Diamond which says that Holly and the other current players and staff doesn't think there is a slip in the program.

you said it,this team is one of the least competitive and aggressive i have seen in my 35 yrs watching lady vols

VN Store

Back