Starting to sound like the football forum....

"in his three seasons at UT, Martin won more SEC games than anybody not named John Calipari or Billy Donovan, and that he was the only SEC coach besides Calipari and Donovan to make a Sweet 16."
Nice try though.
New Faces, New Places: Cuonzo Martin knew it was time to leave Vols

Yes, I understand, and I did defend him. But, the original response to me was that coaches lose a few games to inferior opponents. Martin did that more than a few times.

Xavier, UTEP, A&M (twice) come to mind, and that was only in year 3.

Reactions: 2 people
Reactions: 3 people
Supporting our current coach shouldn't be a mockable offense...you know?...because he's OUR COACH?

Go back and read this board in December and January of last year and tell me what you see. It was a lot of not supporting the current coach. Care to try again?

Go back and read this board in December and January of last year and tell me what you see. It was a lot of not supporting the current coach. Care to try again?

Ok makes sense...so why are YOU doing it now?

Ok makes sense...so why are YOU doing it now?

Why was the majority of this board doing it then? Because they were unhappy with losing a bunch of games. However, the difference was Cuonzo was in the mix for the NCAA every year while this team is looking at absolutely no postseason games.

Why was the majority of this board doing it then? Because they were unhappy with losing a bunch of games. However, the difference was Cuonzo was in the mix for the NCAA every year while this team is looking at absolutely no postseason games.

Doesn't mean Donnie's a bad coach.

Not answering my question...why are YOU repeating the same tactics and nonsupport that you so adamantly deplored? Does it rhyme with YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE?

Yet people think 3 19+ win seasons and a Sweet 16 means one is a bad coach. Interesting.

See, here is the problem. Folks like to lump everyone together. I never said that either. Martin is not a bad coach. He isn't terrific either.

He had more talent at his disposal than Tyndall does right now. But I never said that Martin was bad. In fact, I was probably labeled a Cuonzonite for 2+ years.

See, here is the problem. Folks like to lump everyone together. I never said that either. Martin is not a bad coach. He isn't terrific either.

He had more talent at his disposal than Tyndall does right now. But I never said that Martin was bad. In fact, I was probably labeled a Cuonzonite for 2+ years.

Fair enough. Wasn't necessarily directly meant for you, but in general. A lot of the people singing Tyndall's praises call Martin a failure.

And the talent was majorly questionable when Martin got here. No one knew how far McRae and Maymon would come along. There were a LOT of questions coming in based on how much was lost from the previous year.

Reactions: 1 person
Cuonzo wasn't a bad coach, but he backed into that Sweet 16 like nobody's business. With all of his talent, he still had to win a play-in game to get in. Then he lucked out when Mercer beat Duke, otherwise TN would have most likely lost in the round of 32.

Cuonzo might have been successful at TN, but he quit and now Donnie seems to be doing a better job coaching TN. Cuonzo hadn't been a head coach for a long time... he might have gotten much better at TN after a couple more years of experience.

Fair enough. Wasn't necessarily directly meant for you, but in general. A lot of the people singing Tyndall's praises call Martin a failure.

And the talent was majorly questionable when Martin got here. No one knew how far McRae and Maymon would come along. There were a LOT of questions coming in based on how much was lost from the previous year.

Certainly, experience was an issue, and I said that for 2 years. But he had talent. That wasn't an issue. Martin was a motivator but not the greatest bench coach. I respected his story, motivation, and perseverance, and his players were the same way. But Tyndall is a better bench coach, and you can see that in his small sample size. He needs more talent and that's not entirely his fault.

Cuonzo wasn't a bad coach, but he backed into that Sweet 16 like nobody's business. With all of his talent, he still had to win a play-in game to get in. Then he lucked out when Mercer beat Duke, otherwise TN would have most likely lost in the round of 32.

Cuonzo might have been successful at TN, but he quit and now Donnie seems to be doing a better job coaching TN. Cuonzo hadn't been a head coach for a long time... he might have gotten much better at TN after a couple more years of experience.

He won the ball games. Not his fault that others didn't. I hate when people say a team backed into their accomplishments, especially when they have to play the game to get there. Did they have some good fortune? Yes, but they still took care of everything they had control over.

He won the ball games. Not his fault that others didn't. I hate when people say a team backed into their accomplishments, especially when they have to play the game to get there. Did they have some good fortune? Yes, but they still took care of everything they had control over.

TN had control over easily making the NCAAT and barely made the field. Then they beat some mediocre teams to get to the Sweet 16. It wasn't an outstanding accomplishment. Absolutely backed into that Sweet 16.

I'm not going to apologize for what I've said when this program is quite possibly going to finish with a .500 or worse record for the first time in 10 years.

Same people that bashed Zo for missing the tourney for the first time in 6 years, are most likely your fellow slither mates. :wassup:

Sleep well. :hi:

TN had control over easily making the NCAAT and barely made the field. Then they beat some mediocre teams to get to the Sweet 16. It wasn't an outstanding accomplishment. Absolutely backed into that Sweet 16.

I'm guessing you believe that anytime the football team lost a conference game and made it to Atlanta they backed in, too, right? Does Alabama whine about "backing into" the National Championship game against LSU? I've never known more fans that cry so much about accomplishing something that so few teams in our history have done.

Who is kissing CDT a$$.....SD and Dallas? I don't even remember them being here when Zo was here

I'm guessing you believe that anytime the football team lost a conference game and made it to Atlanta they backed in, too, right? Does Alabama whine about "backing into" the National Championship game against LSU? I've never known more fans that cry so much about accomplishing something that so few teams in our history have done.

No, but losing to Florida and then needing other teams to beat them is certainly backing into the SECCG.

I'm not crying about an accomplishment. I'm pointing out that making the Sweet 16 last year was not a big deal. I didn't sign any petition or wanted CCM to leave, but promoting two early exits from the NIT and backing into a Sweet 16 with a very good roster aren't great accomplishments. And comparing TN basketball to Alabama football is laughable.

No, but losing to Florida and then needing other teams to beat them is certainly backing into the SECCG.

I'm not crying about an accomplishment. I'm pointing out that making the Sweet 16 last year was not a big deal. I didn't sign any petition or wanted CCM to leave, but promoting two early exits from the NIT and backing into a Sweet 16 with a very good roster aren't great accomplishments. And comparing TN basketball to Alabama football is laughable.

Making the sweet sixteen is always a good accomplishment

Reactions: 3 people

Any Sweet 16, with our whopping 7 in our entire history, is anaccomplishment. So the 1997 SEC Championship should be downplayed because they lost to Florida. Gotcha.

And Alabama easily backed in to that National Championship game, because they couldn't even play for their conference Championship. But I guarantee nobody that's an Alabama fan goes, "well we backed into it, it's not worthy of recognition." That's what you sound like.

VN Store

Back