Starting to sound like the football forum....

BB Team resembling the effects of coaching turnover. I want to add to my earlier comment, I believe they are playing their hearts out for CDT and UT, however, the talent is not there and Josh can not be expected to carry the team every game. The guys have heart, just lack size and talent.....you have to have both in the SEC and Div I.....I love UT Sports, but I don't want to look through rose colored glasses either. CDT needs to get the recruiting to resemble Football...........and quickly.

The starting lineup has one less star than the 06-07 team...

Reactions: 1 person
The first two sentences are contradictory. A coach shouldn't be considered to do a good job IF the team has a losing record. I don't care how pretty the participation medals are, I expect winning basketball at home. Period.

Lol. I expect you know little of coaching an SEC basketball team comprised of nearly all new players. One who had a few months to gel together before playing an extremely tough schedule against a great non-conference slate of opponents and a surprisingly deep SEC gauntlet. The list goes on and on for how one could perceive Coach Tyndall's first year as a positive step in the right direction, but I doubt you'd see it that way. You probably think Coach Butch Jones is a failure as well, based on your thinking that wins and losses are all that accounts for positive growth within a program. You see, I know nothing of coaching college basketball; however, my expectations are reasonable and prudent, and I care little for participation medals. I care for what I see developing on the court, field, and classroom, and I'm more proud of the Vol program now than I've ever been.

Lots of people bailing on the players and coaches after this loss. Keep in mind absolutely no one thought this team would accomplish anything. We had a good stretch where we really played better than we actually are and people got their hopes up to make the tournament. When we came back down to reality people want to fire the coach. Just relax people.

Yeah I remember when we were 12-5 one dude coming on here and saying "Call me crazy but I see this team winning"....yada yada....don't recall the exact quote but you get the picture....I remember thinking... Of My...some of our fan base just doesn't get it...If you'd told me at the start of the season this team would have won 14 games...I prob would have vehemently disagreed with you...I looked at that lineup before the Vandy game and wondered out loud..."how did this team win 14 games?"....Great coaching job by DT and great inspired played by a team loaded with marginal players AT BEST...NO INSIDE PRESENCE...AT ALL....NO REAL GO TO PLAYER AT ALL...(Josh does his best and is really good with the mid-range game but because he's the only one he's fairly easy to scheme for) and I could list several other frailties but won't....So anybody slamming on this team and players REALLY never understood where we were and still are....and I agree...it sounds like a football forum.....I for one just appreciate how hard this team plays....

Reactions: 3 people
Hello troll. DT reminds me of DD because they were both small time coaches at mid level schools that didn't and don't understand this is about Jimmy's and Joe's. Maybe DT is a bit better at X's and O's than DD was but it ends right there. On the other hand we hired a football coach that understood that talent and attitude is the game changer and he has done both and as a result most are more excited about football than they have been in years, me included. This love for DT has me scratching my head because it is based on nothing other than winning some at the mid major level. Boys this is the Big League and he has not and is not setting the foundation. Just look no further than this coming recruiting class. By this time in his tenure BJ had a major class ready to sign, Dt has nothing.
With no offense intended....Guys...this represents an opinion that is not based on facts....the biggest being the comparison to DD...conveniently left out...DD NEVER won big at an level...and the obvious answer is...DT has...Wow...just wow!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Hello troll. DT reminds me of DD because they were both small time coaches at mid level schools that didn't and don't understand this is about Jimmy's and Joe's. Maybe DT is a bit better at X's and O's than DD was but it ends right there. On the other hand we hired a football coach that understood that talent and attitude is the game changer and he has done both and as a result most are more excited about football than they have been in years, me included. This love for DT has me scratching my head because it is based on nothing other than winning some at the mid major level. Boys this is the Big League and he has not and is not setting the foundation. Just look no further than this coming recruiting class. By this time in his tenure BJ had a major class ready to sign, Dt has nothing.
I'll add this as well....Tennessee always has been and always will be a football school...even thru those lean years....MUCH easier to recruit to that than to the basketball success we've enjoyed over the many years...AND...by the people who REALLY know...CDT is considered a tenacious recruiter...actually considered one of his strong points...hard to recruit with the NCAA thing a hanging around....It'll take a little time...PLEASE...guys show a touch of patience...Ok..I'm done....

Reactions: 4 people

Sorry but SEC basketball isnt what id consider the big leagues. There are a bunch of mid major schools that could beat us right now. We have Derek Reese playing center. Thats horrible.

Funny you mention in the classroom with CDT. So, because your opinion is a positive one for UT it's more acceptable than mine. You are right we both know little about it. However, all the excuses for why we are losing are humorous. Who brings in this lack of talent? Who coaches a zone that lets people shoot wide open shots?

I'm curious for your opinion. We lose jrich, and we don't have high end prospects exactly lining up to come here. How long will you be ok with losing seasons, if the team plays hard? I'm not only looking at this season. I'm looking at the future with CDT, and right now it's not positive. But at least we have the feel goods about playing hard, and getting ran out of our own gym.

I was speaking about the entire Vols athletic program when I mentioned the classroom, btw. My opinion being positive doesn't make it better than yours; however, most reasonable thinking people would tend to agree with the overall statements that I make. That doesn't make me any smarter or better than you, just right. lol

Tyndall had a very short amount of time to bring in almost an entirely new team. You tell me when that scenario pans out well for any coach aside from Calipari at UK. The only way to really beat an effective zone D is to shoot the lights out, and sometimes, in basketball, that happens. 5 of our losses have been by less than 6 points. That makes a huge difference in interpreting the season, especially with such a young team. If Tyndall has enough time to install his system and get his type of guys in there to play it, we will be a perennial tourney team. That's just what I believe.

Its funny that the ones who obviously never played, and know not about basketball are insulting people with valid opinions.

People think CDT is so great for the reason they thought DD was. He is not the previous coach who they hate.

Can Amy of you tell me one specific thing Tyndall does better than our last few coaches?

Its funny that the ones who obviously never played, and know not about basketball are insulting people with valid opinions.

People think CDT is so great for the reason they thought DD was. He is not the previous coach who they hate.

Can Amy of you tell me one specific thing Tyndall does better than our last few coaches?

Thats easy. We can finally break a press.

Yea, you think the people praising Tyndall never played basketball? Ignorance.

And I didn't hate Martin. In fact, I defended him but was really pissed after the second A&M loss last year. He was losing with superior talent. Even defending him, I knew he wasn't winning by drawing up plays.

Last edited:
Yea, you think the people praising Tyndall never played basketball? Ignorance.

And I didn't hate Martin. In fact, I defended him but was really pissed after the second A&M loss last year. He was losing with superior talent. Even defending him, I knew he wasn't winning by drawing up plays.

You still didn't answer my question on Tyndall. What specific thing has he done better? Every coach will lose a couple to worse teams through a season. Its college basketball.

Tyndall has lost most close games this year. He isn't drawing up winning plays. What makes you think Tyndall is so great when he hasn't proven anything? The offense is horrid, we lose more close games, we don't make adjustments on defense.

You still didn't answer my question on Tyndall. What specific thing has he done better? Every coach will lose a couple to worse teams through a season. Its college basketball.

Tyndall has lost most close games this year. He isn't drawing up winning plays. What makes you think Tyndall is so great when he hasn't proven anything? The offense is horrid, we lose more close games, we don't make adjustments on defense.

He can draw up a play coming out of timeouts better than any coach in recent memory for UT . He makes good adjustments coming out of halftime as well

Tyndall is better on drawing up plays after a timeout. The Ole Miss game and the game where hubbs missed the wide open three at the end comes to mind

The players have not given up in a single game so far this year. Even when there was virtually zero chance of winning they played hard to the end. That's good coaching.

Tyndall also draws up out of bounds plays as well as any of his predecessors. At the end of games he's drawn up plays that worked great, Reese knocked a game winner a while back on the fake hand off to Richardson. Hubbs had an open look from the corner that went half way diwn and would have won a game. Richardson had an open look and an open Punter as an option on the play that Tyndall drew up (at Ole Miss I think). Tyndall will be a very good coach at TN once the NCAA either ****s or gets off of the *****er.

Maybe you should look in the thread where you asked it. I did respond and it's lengthy.

Martin wasn't just losing a couple. That's awfully nice of you to think it though.

Arkansas. That team probably has twice the talent that we do, and we beat them and are a rimmed out 3 from an overtime in the second game.

Yes, then ARK made two free throws to win by 5. Richardson missed a 3 pointer down 3 at the end of GA. At GA they were down 4 at the end, Punter gets fouled, makes the first and misses the second, Reese gets the rebound and Richardson missed a game tying 3 pointer.

VN Store

Back