Starting to sound like the football forum....

I'm saying Thompson, Chievous, and Davis all could've helped win a few more ballgames. It's harder to keep the new guys signed, but not being able to keep a returning point guard, a glaring weakness of this team, is all on Tyndall. But of course, Tyndall is Jesus to you, and can do no wrong.

Our season would have been pretty much the same had Coach Martin and all the players have stayed. He knew t talent had fallen off and outside of Cofer none of the ones he had coming in have shown anything this year.

Reactions: 5 people
Our season would have been pretty much the same had Coach Martin and all the players have stayed. He knew t talent had fallen off and outside of Cofer none of the ones he had coming in have shown anything this year.

Several are behind other good players. For example, Austin is behind a senior point guard averaging 31.6 ppg and 177 assists to date. Not a fair assessment for him this far.

Edit: My bad, wrong column on the points. That was his minutes. But still, he's behind a senior who's been in the system for 4 years. He'll get his chance.

I'm saying Thompson, Chievous, and Davis all could've helped win a few more ballgames. It's harder to keep the new guys signed, but not being able to keep a returning point guard, a glaring weakness of this team, is all on Tyndall. But of course, Tyndall is Jesus to you, and can do no wrong.

Chievous wouldn't have helped us win much of anything. Thompson and Davis would've helped us. So would Chiles, Lopez and McGhee. That's water under the bridge.

And Tyndall isn't Jesus to me. I just know what he was dealt and can look at things rationally. Something you seem to have trouble with.

And if you want to blame someone for not signing a point guard, blame your hero, Cuonzo. Thompson couldn't stay with a SEC level guard if his life depended on it. Martin failed to sign a top point guard in 3 years. That's on him and the OVC talent level that he left for Tyndall.

Reactions: 2 people
Chievous wouldn't have helped us win much of anything. Thompson and Davis would've helped us. So would Chiles, Lopez and McGhee. That's water under the bridge.

And Tyndall isn't Jesus to me. I just know what he was dealt and can look at things rationally. Something you seem to have trouble with.

And if you want to blame someone for not signing a point guard, blame your hero, Cuonzo. Thompson couldn't stay with a SEC level guard if his life depended on it. Martin failed to sign a top point guard in 3 years. That's on him and the OVC talent level that he left for Tyndall.

He had one coming in with Austin that was not kept. We'll see how he does next year at Xavier.

I think the sec is getting more and more talented just look at lsu class coming in. We have to land big time guys. I realistically want a ncaa tourney bid every year. That's the measuring stick to me.

If you're expecting a NCAA bid every year then you're going to be disappointed. UT has never been a NCAA bid team every year. Look at their history. That's not saying we shouldn't be fighting for one. It just isn't realistic. Hell, look at Ky and Fla. They both have not made the NCAA's recently and they had 3 times the talent UT did this year.

UT is a top 3 job in the SEC. We'll get things squared away eventually once we find out what the NCAA wants to do. Until then, we are going to be shorthanded.

He had one coming in with Austin that was not kept. We'll see how he does next year at Xavier.

I didn't want to see Thompson leave. He was a bigger loss than any of the recruits that left IMO. I think he would've thrived in Tyndall's zone instead of man-to-man. He was a smart player that we obviously could've used. He would've let Josh go back to his natural position and we would've been a much better team. His main liability was keeping people in front of him.

I defended Martin, but I also said that his one big fail was PG recruiting. If he had recruited one his first or second year, then we would have one. You noticed that the first year players (other than Cheivous) were the ones who transferred. Because they were only a year into their careers and could take a redshirt. If we had a sophomore or junior PG, then he would probably be on this team. I believe Cheivous was gone even before Martin left.

I think it was clear that Thompson and Davis were ready to jump regardless of the coach. I am fairly sure that there were reports that Thompson was upset at the way the fans handled the Martin saga and was ready to leave. So, kind of ironic that some fans are mad at Tyndall for not keeping someone that didn't like how the fans treated his former coach. This is all just silly how fans think Tyndall had some power over kids to stay at UT.

Last edited:
I defended Martin, but I also said that his one big fail was PG recruiting. If he had recruited one his first or second year, then we would have had one. You noticed that the first year players (other than Cheivous) were the ones who transferred. Because they were only a year into their careers and could take a redshirt. If we had a sophomore or junior PG, then he would probably be on this team. I believe Cheivous was gone even before Martin left.

I think it was clear that Thompson and Davis were ready to jump regardless of the coach. I am fairly sure that there were reports that Thompson was upset at the way the fans handled the Martin saga and was ready to leave. So, kind of ironic that some fans are mad at Tyndall for not keeping someone that didn't like how the fans treated his former coach. This is all just silly how fans think Tyndall had some power over kids to stay at UT.

We haven't signed a good PG in some time. Even Pearl struggled with it. It's hard to comprehend. You see these mid-majors having no problem yet a big program can't get one. A lot of that has to do with Pearl getting fired and then Martin leaving after 3 years, but still. We should have better talent at that position.

And I believe Thompson was long gone too. Remember when he flipped from Vandy to UT pretty quick after Vandy signed some guards? Thompson has always been a little wishy-washy IMO. He was supposed to go to Vandy for quite awhile and then suddenly flipped and then left UT after a year.

If you're expecting a NCAA bid every year then you're going to be disappointed. UT has never been a NCAA bid team every year. Look at their history. That's not saying we shouldn't be fighting for one. It just isn't realistic. Hell, look at Ky and Fla. They both have not made the NCAA's recently and they had 3 times the talent UT did this year.

UT is a top 3 job in the SEC. We'll get things squared away eventually once we find out what the NCAA wants to do. Until then, we are going to be shorthanded.

In modern day basketball in the sec we should be able to get a bid every year with a decent team. I know your gonna have bad years but the goal should be a trip to the ncaa every year.

In modern day basketball in the sec we should be able to get a bid every year with a decent team. I know your gonna have bad years but the goal should be a trip to the ncaa every year.

3 SEC teams made it last year. 11 did not. 4 more made NIT. With today's parity, either bid would make more sense.

Chievous had already found another school and was leaving at Zo's behest. Just sayin.

BB Team resembling the effects of coaching turnover. I want to add to my earlier comment, I believe they are playing their hearts out for CDT and UT, however, the talent is not there and Josh can not be expected to carry the team every game. The guys have heart, just lack size and talent.....you have to have both in the SEC and Div I.....I love UT Sports, but I don't want to look through rose colored glasses either. CDT needs to get the recruiting to resemble Football...........and quickly.

I'm not concerned at all . Once this NCAA stuff gets settled CDT will get the right talent in here . Already has a 4 * for next cycle even with the investigation . Some of you people are ridiculous . It's like you're delusional or something smh

Tyndall has done a tremendous job throughout the season. We just aren't very good. JRich would have been our fourth, fifth, or even 6th best player during the Pearl era, and we are asking him to be our savior every game. The rest of the guys work tremendously hard, and I'm proud of them, but we are nowhere near an NCAA tourney team yet. We will be under Tyndall. We need offensive practice and skill development, but our defense should only get stronger and stronger.

Reactions: 1 person
Tyndall has done a tremendous job throughout the season. We just aren't very good. JRich would have been our fourth, fifth, or even 6th best player during the Pearl era, and we are asking him to be our savior every game. The rest of the guys work tremendously hard, and I'm proud of them, but we are nowhere near an NCAA tourney team yet. We will be under Tyndall. We need offensive practice and skill development, but our defense should only get stronger and stronger.

I don't think I would say that about JRich . That kid is very good . Look at what he did during the Sweet 16 run last year . I agree with the rest of your post though

I knew this team was going to be crap, and it is. But the main problem I have with Tyndall is recruiting. Maybe the NCAA situation has a lot to do with that, but I don't see how this incoming class makes this team any more than marginally better. The only high-level recruit he has committed is several months away from being eligible to sign; he could easily flip between now and then. For that reason, I'm not yet confident that Tyndall will make the NCAAT even once here, much less on a regular basis, even if the NCAA mess doesn't cost him his job after this season.

Most realists expected something close to a 500 season. I think the butler and Arkansas upsets gave some of us the hope that we could over achieve.
Disappointing to come back down to earth, but most expected it as the original outcome.
Still proud of the guys for their effort. Just too many obstacles to overcome.

I don't think I would say that about JRich . That kid is very good . Look at what he did during the Sweet 16 run last year . I agree with the rest of your post though

I love how JRich has developed.. However, from 2005-2011, Pearl coached the following: Chris Lofton, CJ Watson, Major Wingate, Ramar Smith, JuJuan Smith, Duke Crews, Tyler Smith, Bobby Maze, Wayne Chism, Cameron Tatum, JP Prince, Scotty Hopson, Brian Williams, Jordan McRae, Tobias Harris, Jeronne Maymon, Trae Golden, Skylar McBee....

Now, JRich is better than some of these boys...but like I said, I'm not sure he would've been in our top four or five guys during some of the Pearl years. Dude could recruit some talented guys. The 08-09 Roster that went 31-5, the 09-10 roster that went to the elite 8,...shoot, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Lots of people bailing on the players and coaches after this loss. Keep in mind absolutely no one thought this team would accomplish anything. We had a good stretch where we really played better than we actually are and people got their hopes up to make the tournament. When we came back down to reality people want to fire the coach. Just relax people.

Do you really think this Man can do what Pearl did, i dont and said it from the start, dont have anything against the man, but i dont think he can get the elite talent to come here and a bunch of JC players wont get us to the top 6 in this conference.

Do you really think this Man can do what Pearl did, i dont and said it from the start, dont have anything against the man, but i dont think he can get the elite talent to come here and a bunch of JC players wont get us to the top 6 in this conference.

Pearl can't do what Pearl did here...since he ISN'T here! You're going to have to let somebody else coach someday. :loco:

Some of you need to get it through your heads Pearl will never coach here again . He's been gone 4 years , how long does it take for reality to set in ?

The first two sentences are contradictory. A coach shouldn't be considered to do a good job IF the team has a losing record. I don't care how pretty the participation medals are, I expect winning basketball at home. Period.

VN Store

Back