Southern Miss basketball under NCAA investigation (Tyndall)

We've lost to teams that were supposed to beat us and not to teams the caliber of Cal State-Bakersfield whilst beating the teams we're supposed to beat and some we're not...If you're telling me to tap the brakes on declaring something...fine. Return the favor with Arkansas and Butler...haven't kept track with Kansas State.

We weren't supposed to lose to Bama. When did UT play CSB?

Way too early to claim CDT has done some genius coaching job. Way to early to claim he did better than people with actual results. I said the same thing half way through this year as last year. You can't judge a college basketball season until the post season is over.

We weren't supposed to lose to Bama. When did UT play CSB?

Way too early to claim CDT has done some genius coaching job. Way to early to claim he did better than people with actual results. I said the same thing half way through this year as last year. You can't judge a college basketball season until the post season is over.

Missed "caliber"...other than that, I have no problem with your hesitant perspective...I just don't share it.

Reactions: 1 person
did anyone else hear the sideline guy outright say that Adam Howard is suspected of doing work for players (at USM)? Isn't that new info?

did anyone else hear the sideline guy outright say that Adam Howard is suspected of doing work for players (at USM)? Isn't that new info?

This is part of the info I have been posting about. CDT has admitted to this being true and why howard was let go at UT. Of course Tyndalls story is he was unaware and parted ways with him as soon as he found out

Last edited:
This is part of the info I have been posting about. CDT has admitted to this being true and why howard was let go at UT. Of course Tyndalls story is he was unaware

Do you mean to say that Howard told Tyndall it was true or something of that sort? Just asking because you said CDT admitted it was true, followed by he was unaware, which is hard to square.

That hasn't been proven yet. When we finish top 3 in the SEC this year or make a Sweet Sixteen you can say it is just as good. At this point we have beat no teams that will be ranked at the end of the year, and the offense has been the worse since O'Neil's.

CDT didn't follow Pearl....he followed Zo.....there's your difference.

Recruiting question here, I don't really follow it very closely, especially MBB...I know about the 4 year guy, the SEC denied the waiver, I know Mostella was, for lack of a better term, red flagged...what was the deal with Dequon Miller and the second part how many others do you/ya'll think, academically, might have received heavy looks from UT Compliance?

TIA

Recruiting question here, I don't really follow it very closely, especially MBB...I know about the 4 year guy, the SEC denied the waiver, I know Mostella was, for lack of a better term, red flagged...what was the deal with Dequon Miller and the second part how many others do you/ya'll think, academically, might have received heavy looks from UT Compliance?

TIA

Eric McKnight was the grad transfer denied, he was denied by the SEC, not Tennessee.

Dequon Miller is a 2015 recruit, he was thinking about trying to reclassify to 2014 but couldn't get his academics in order to do so.

Mostella was cleared by UT but was waiting on the clearinghouse for awhile, but they obviously cleared him as well.

Eric McKnight was the grad transfer denied, he was denied by the SEC, not Tennessee.

Dequon Miller is a 2015 recruit, he was thinking about trying to reclassify to 2014 but couldn't get his academics in order to do so.

Mostella was cleared by UT but was waiting on the clearinghouse for awhile, but they obviously cleared him as well.

Yes I remember the McKnight thing and the Mostella thing but the bit about Miller, I'd read the recruiting thread but it just sort of stops so thanks for that.

Were there any other players that you recall that might have had issues...I guess to get to the point...a player that UT Compliance/Admissions would have said no to CDT, but maybe could have gotten through at USM...that's what I'm getting at.

Poorly worded I know.:)

2012-2013 - Prop 48 (sits out, pays own way for school, housing, meals, etc...does this count as a redshirt year?)

2013-2014 - listed as a RFr., tears Achilles tendon in late August, 2013, misses the season.

2014-2015 - listed as a RFr.

Does this seem right and yes I looked for evidence of medical waiver?

Sarge, here's a case where the school does what it is supposed to do, but while I'm reading the story I was thinking, yeah, this is how it's supposed to work, but I certainly could see a different road, you know. Somebody just honestly doesn't catch a falsified transcript or they knowingly just pass it through, seems like that wouldn't be that hard if you have a few people on the same page so to say.

Junior college transfer Keith Thomas ruled academically ineligible to play for St. John's - Newsday

Especially at these smaller schools, less compliance people for roughly the same number of athletes.

An example of a JUCO Coach losing his job because the JUCO alleged he provided a phony transcript...The fired coach has filed a lawsuit claiming defamation.

WCC cancels basketball season amid transcript scandal

and some of the fallout from that same school involved players that had moved on to D1...

WCC transcript scandal ensnares fourth NCAA player

What if the assistant doesn't tell the HC in that case, or more to the point, what if the HC doesn't ask about the player's transcript?

I would also add, those players and the phony transcripts made it through the different D1's compliance/admissions the first time through or so it seems.

Report: NCAA investigating Hawaii and head coach Gib Arnold | CollegeBasketballTalk
With the right papers, almost anyone can get into college...Fake College or University Transcripts - PhonyDiploma.com

We now have enough information to speculate on what the NCAA investigation at USM is about.

At least two basketball players were declared eligible to play for the university based on fraudulent transcripts. These altered transcripts were supplied either by the players themselves, or they had some help. At least one of the assistants that accompanied Coach Tyndall from USM had direct knowledge of the altered transcripts. They either helped supply fraudulent transcripts or knew about the alterations and said nothing. This would explain their sudden dismissal.

The Office of Compliance at USM either knew about the altered transcripts and declared the players eligible anyway, or failed to do due diligence by obtaining their own copies.

There is no direct evidence that Coach Tyndall knew about the fraudulent transcripts. If there were he would have been fired already. Is there a possibility that Coach Tyndall knew about the altered transcripts, but so far has evaded responsibility? Yes, however, there is little reason for the fired assistants to cover for Coach Tyndall. Once you lose a Division 1 assistant basketball coaching position it is difficult to find another, especially after you have run afoul of the NCAA. There are literally thousands of applicants for each position.

Does this mean that Coach Tyndall is off the hook? No. Recently, the NCAA has started to hold coaches accountable for violations of rules that occurred at previous jobs. There were some coaches that were mounting their white steed and riding to the rescue of one program while the barn is burning behind them. It all depends on whether Coach Tyndall was fostering a "climate of compliance" to NCAA rules while at USM. Example: When Coach A told his assistants that he wanted an eligibility question "taken care of", did he mean he wanted the recruit declared eligible regardless, or did he mean get a copy of his transcripts, take them down to the Office of Compliance, and get an eligibility ruling.

Remember, this analysis is worth what you paid for it.

vol66, thank you for your replies.

We now have enough information to speculate on what the NCAA investigation at USM is about.

At least two basketball players were declared eligible to play for the university based on fraudulent transcripts. These altered transcripts were supplied either by the players themselves, or they had some help. At least one of the assistants that accompanied Coach Tyndall from USM had direct knowledge of the altered transcripts. They either helped supply fraudulent transcripts or knew about the alterations and said nothing. This would explain their sudden dismissal.

The Office of Compliance at USM either knew about the altered transcripts and declared the players eligible anyway, or failed to do due diligence by obtaining their own copies.

There is no direct evidence that Coach Tyndall knew about the fraudulent transcripts. If there were he would have been fired already. Is there a possibility that Coach Tyndall knew about the altered transcripts, but so far has evaded responsibility? Yes, however, there is little reason for the fired assistants to cover for Coach Tyndall. Once you lose a Division 1 assistant basketball coaching position it is difficult to find another, especially after you have run afoul of the NCAA. There are literally thousands of applicants for each position.

Does this mean that Coach Tyndall is off the hook? No. Recently, the NCAA has started to hold coaches accountable for violations of rules that occurred at previous jobs. There were some coaches that were mounting their white steed and riding to the rescue of one program while the barn is burning behind them. It all depends on whether Coach Tyndall was fostering a "climate of compliance" to NCAA rules while at USM. Example: When Coach A told his assistants that he wanted an eligibility question "taken care of", did he mean he wanted the recruit declared eligible regardless, or did he mean get a copy of his transcripts, take them down to the Office of Compliance, and get an eligibility ruling.

Couple things...

The investigation at USM is not a legal proceeding. There is no discovery. What do I mean? When the NCAA came to Knoxville they did not share with Tyndall or his attorneys what they know or how they know it. They asked questions. Tyndall and his attorneys and a to a lesser extent, UT, interpret from those questions what preemptive actions to take but they are no different than us. They are speculating on what the NCAA knows, and how they know it and how serious the situation is based on two things and two things only in my view.

1. What questions were asked by the NCAA.

2. What Donnie Tyndall has told the folks at UT he knows about any wrong doing during his tenure at USM.

Likewise at USM, except... USM is doing their own investigation and the information they themselves uncovered was enough for them to take the action of a post season ban.

The NCAA came to Hattiesburg for the second time, this past week, and the result of that visit was that two players became ineligible. One player has already signed a professional contract, the other might have a path back to the program...which is interesting.

I think we can't say for sure anything with regards to transcripts. I also think it's premature to say there is no evidence against Tyndall and that UT would have fired him already.

We don't know. We don't know who has talked to the NCAA. We don't know what the NCAA knows.

One thing is clear. The academic side, the two players that were excused from practice one day and ineligible the next...why were they allowed to start every game this season?

Between the first visit to USM, their first visit to UT and the subsequent second visit to USM, it would seem the NCAA learned something new.

Last edited:

Uh. The NCAA now has the rule that a head coach isn't immunized by claiming no knowledge of assistnts' actions. UT isnt one of those programs that tends to benefit from NCAA selective prosecution. Tyndall is destined for a one and done. I'd say he is currently auditioning for whatever comes after the show cause.

VN Store

Back