Southern Miss basketball under NCAA investigation (Tyndall)

I don't believe that there are that many coaches that are at the level of coaching desired by UT that are clean.

Clean Coaches finish last with the exception of Duke's Coach K. If the coach is clean then the school probably isn't. Good clean coaches don't win, evidently. Plus, if the NCAA wants to nail anyone or disrupt anyone then it incompetently investigates.

Coach K isn't clean...

Reactions: 1 person
What and when?

The SI article a few years ago talked about how all the parents were getting great jobs in Durham. Also that Bobby Duhon got an Escalade paid for even though his mother who was hired in Durham did not make that kind of money. Of course nothing came of it because Coach K is not going to be looked at. Just as nothing much will come out of UNC running a sham academic program for athletes for 20 years.

The SI article a few years ago talked about how all the parents were getting great jobs in Durham. Also that Bobby Duhon got an Escalade paid for even though his mother who was hired in Durham did not make that kind of money. Of course nothing came of it because Coach K is not going to be looked at. Just as nothing much will come out of UNC running a sham academic program for athletes for 20 years.

I hadn't heard about any of those. Not a fan of theres I was just curious. Thanks

We had Clarke committed too, if this lingers there's no guarantee that White sticks with us, or that we land Bkackwell. If the 2016 class is sitting just like this one after next November what will your thoughts be?
Don't know what volbeast33's thoughts would be, but my thoughts would be to change your screen name from bleedingTNorange to NegaDonnie. That would be more appropriate IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
The fact it's dragging is in no way good
Pure fabrication. Here's the real story:
"Sources last night told me they were fully expecting this investigation into Tyndall to be much further along than it is now but the NCAA is in a back log situation with at least 4 concurrent investigations on going at UNC/SMU/Syracuse and Tennessee. All of these are in different stages and all relate to hoops programs." Basilio

"Sources last night told me they were fully expecting this investigation into Tyndall to be much further along than it is now but the NCAA is in a back log situation with at least 4 concurrent investigations on going at UNC/SMU/Syracuse and Tennessee. All of these are in different stages and all relate to hoops programs." Basilio

Honest question. Do you actually believe anything Basilio reports considering his history?

Reactions: 2 people

Back logged or not, whatever the reason, this thing is dragging on is not good for the program and your posts about how it is sabotaging recruiting is proof of that, so you may not want to try to argue the other side of that now.

I keep my expectations low and realize that CDT will be fired and we will not have one commit in the next two years. When we wup dey azz today my emotions will go through the roof and I will profess my love for our team!

I have a question about the two USM players ruled ineligible, Rasham Suarez and Jeremiah Eason.

The two players transferred in from the College of Central Florida, formerly Central Florida Community College, formerly Central Florida Junior College.

Now, from what I understand, you just don't waltz in off the street, present your transcripts and say, "I want to play." You have to be vetted. This applies High School Graduates, Prep School attendees, and Junior College transfers.

The first vetting comes from the Office of Compliance at the University's Athletic Department. They will look at your transcripts and test scores and determine if you meet NCAA eligibility requirements.

The second vetting comes from the University's Admissions Office. They will look at your transcripts, if you are coming from another college, or JC, to see if you are eligible to be admitted to the university, and which of your courses are recognized. Not all courses taken at one college transfer to another, although they normally recognize degrees received. If you are coming from either a high or prep school they will want to see your test scores, either ACT or SAT or both.

The third vetting comes from the NCAA Clearing House. They will also look at your transcripts and test scores and determine if you meet NCAA eligibility requirements. They are the final word on eligibility.

The main feature of all these offices is that they don't trust you. They will contact either the testing service, your previous institution, or both and ask for their own copies of your transcripts and/or test scores. If they have a question about a course you took the will contact the school that administered the course.

This is my question, how were these two players deemed eligible to participate?

So, let's simplify this for some. For all the reasons you just listed Donnie Tyndall had absolutely nothing to do with any of that. Thank you.

Back logged or not, whatever the reason, this thing is dragging on is not good for the program and your posts about how it is sabotaging recruiting is proof of that, so you may not want to try to argue the other side of that now.
The difference is I say the time lapse as PosiDonnie and you say as NegaDonnie. Most who pay attention know the difference. My advice, Relax and enjoy the basketball team and its coach. But I know that is impossible for you. By the way, you said Tennessee would have the worst recruiting in a decade. Guess what, California appears to be headed to their worst won-loss record in a decade.

The difference is I say the time lapse as PosiDonnie and you say as NegaDonnie. Most who pay attention know the difference. My advice, Relax and enjoy the basketball team and its coach. But I know that is impossible for you. By the way, you said Tennessee would have the worst recruiting in a decade. Guess what, California appears to be headed to their worst won-loss record in a decade.

What does California basketball have to do with Tennessee basketball, has Donnie's recruiting gotten that bad you've gotta reach that far to feel better?

I have a question about the two USM players ruled ineligible, Rasham Suarez and Jeremiah Eason.

The two players transferred in from the College of Central Florida, formerly Central Florida Community College, formerly Central Florida Junior College.

Now, from what I understand, you just don't waltz in off the street, present your transcripts and say, "I want to play." You have to be vetted. This applies High School Graduates, Prep School attendees, and Junior College transfers.

The first vetting comes from the Office of Compliance at the University's Athletic Department. They will look at your transcripts and test scores and determine if you meet NCAA eligibility requirements.

The second vetting comes from the University's Admissions Office. They will look at your transcripts, if you are coming from another college, or JC, to see if you are eligible to be admitted to the university, and which of your courses are recognized. Not all courses taken at one college transfer to another, although they normally recognize degrees received. If you are coming from either a high or prep school they will want to see your test scores, either ACT or SAT or both.

The third vetting comes from the NCAA Clearing House. They will also look at your transcripts and test scores and determine if you meet NCAA eligibility requirements. They are the final word on eligibility.

The main feature of all these offices is that they don't trust you. They will contact either the testing service, your previous institution, or both and ask for their own copies of your transcripts and/or test scores. If they have a question about a course you took the will contact the school that administered the course.

This is my question, how were these two players deemed eligible to participate?

This is a great question and I've spent a little time looking into it and will continue to do so, maybe I can find some examples at other schools and that might be of some help.

It seems like a straight forward, narrow question.

The NCAA Clearinghouse is now called the NCAA Eligibility Center, something I did not know. There is no way to KNOW, definitively, the answer to your question because we don't know where the specific break down was or a loop hole that might exist.

In just the little that I've read, the JUCO transfer requirements/rules...it seems pretty complicated, in my opinion complicated enough that someone such as an academic advisor or coach would have to explain it to the average student athlete and as a parent me too.

Also, new rules were put into place in 2012 regarding JUCO's, I mention this because I guess it's possible an honest mistake could have been made by folks at USM. However, I doubt that two athletes would lose their eligibility over an honest mistake. I don't know.

We've all been witness to the highly recruited JUCO that we covet and recruit only to find out our school won't accept him but one of our rival schools will. But this is at the highest level.

I spent a lot of time going over the rosters for CDT's USM teams. Where did this guy come from, what about this guy and so on. I had no idea the TRUE transient nature of basketball at that level. We're talking about guys at four year colleges ending up at juco colleges coming out as prop 48 (Unqualified academically) that sit out for the year and end up transferring again due to a coaching change for example.

But if they can play, somebody wants them. Is it a coach who says "hey kid don't worry about it, we've got people in place that can get you into school"? Is it some messing with transcripts that don't get caught as they should? Is it not registering a kid with Eligibility Center, is that even possible? (I'm asking, I don't know). It seems like for every rule an organization as big as the NCAA makes, there's always someone looking for a way around it, at least to me.

I guess I didn't answer your question, but something has happened down at USM and what seemed at first like a prop 48 thing is now an academic thing which takes things to another level in my opinion and that of the beat writer down there, Jason Munz.

I'll try to find some examples...when I looked up the Coach's Accountability Rule, which had some do's/don'ts/examples for lack of a better word I saw this...They were bullet points but I did not re-format.

The head coach and staff knew that several incoming two-year institution transfer student-athletes were deficient academically and were taking numerous classes in a short period of time to meet eligibility requirements.

The head coach asked his staff only general questions about the prospective student-athletes' progress and did not ask how the prospective student-athletes were supporting themselves, how the prospective student-athletes were traveling around town, how their classes were being paid for and how involved his staff was with the prospective student-athletes.

The head coach failed to involve the compliance staff in monitoring the prospective student-athletes' situations.

I'll try to find some other things on the issue and I appreciate the question, I've learned something from trying to answer it.

Sorry for the long post.

Save your pity for the poor moron that thought Cal WAS better than us and took the job. :)

There's alot of people who would take more money and more job security in life if offered, you may call it moronic, but after sharing your barometer for a Tennessee basketball season I'm not sure you've got much room in that regard.

There's alot of people who would take more money and more job security in life if offered, you may call it moronic, but after sharing your barometer for a Tennessee basketball season I'm not sure you've got much room in that regard.

This coming from the objective Vols fan who explicitly stated that he was going to rub every Cuonzo and Pearl win into our faces BEFORE Tyndall was even hired? How's that working out for you Mr. Groundedinreality? :)

Reactions: 11 people
He knows we could always have a worse coaching situation...we did the past three years.

That hasn't been proven yet. When we finish top 3 in the SEC this year or make a Sweet Sixteen you can say it is just as good. At this point we have beat no teams that will be ranked at the end of the year, and the offense has been the worse since O'Neil's.

That hasn't been proven yet. When we finish top 3 in the SEC this year or make a Sweet Sixteen you can say it is just as good. At this point we have beat no teams that will be ranked at the end of the year, and the offense has been the worse since O'Neil's.

We've lost to teams that were supposed to beat us and not to teams the caliber of Cal State-Bakersfield whilst beating the teams we're supposed to beat and some we're not...If you're telling me to tap the brakes on declaring something...fine. Return the favor with Arkansas and Butler...haven't kept track with Kansas State.

Reactions: 2 people
Sarge, here's a case where the school does what it is supposed to do, but while I'm reading the story I was thinking, yeah, this is how it's supposed to work, but I certainly could see a different road, you know. Somebody just honestly doesn't catch a falsified transcript or they knowingly just pass it through, seems like that wouldn't be that hard if you have a few people on the same page so to say.

Junior college transfer Keith Thomas ruled academically ineligible to play for St. John's - Newsday

Especially at these smaller schools, less compliance people for roughly the same number of athletes.

An example of a JUCO Coach losing his job because the JUCO alleged he provided a phony transcript...The fired coach has filed a lawsuit claiming defamation.

WCC cancels basketball season amid transcript scandal

and some of the fallout from that same school involved players that had moved on to D1...

WCC transcript scandal ensnares fourth NCAA player

A top assistant men's basketball coach at a Northeast Division I program who looked at Thomas' and McLean's transcripts told The Journal News, "I knew the transcripts were fake the minute I saw them." He told his head coach they were no longer recruiting either player. The assistant agreed to speak about the transcripts on the condition he not be named because discussing personal information on potential recruits could cost him his job.

What if the assistant doesn't tell the HC in that case, or more to the point, what if the HC doesn't ask about the player's transcript?

I would also add, those players and the phony transcripts made it through the different D1's compliance/admissions the first time through or so it seems.

Report: NCAA investigating Hawaii and head coach Gib Arnold | CollegeBasketballTalk

Last edited:

VN Store

Back