Southern Miss basketball under NCAA investigation (Tyndall)

It's only been stated a hundred times that this was not being investigated at the time. Unless Hart has a magic genie to see into the future, he would never have known. He was even asked at Tyndall's initial PC about the issue at Morehead State, and Hart stated that he looked into it and was satisfied. SMH at people who try to use hindsight vision.

Hart should be fired for his inability to perform psychic evaluations.

The NCAA investigation into the tennis program probably went on the entire time he was head coach at Southern Mississippi for the sanctions to come out in February, 2013. It also seems to point directly at the Compliance Department as the main culprit.

This is my thinking as well . They may be after USM more than CDT on this since they don't apply the "repeat offender" thing to coaches . USM is obviously no angel as an institution

Reactions: 1 person
The NCAA investigation into the tennis program probably went on the entire time he was head coach at Southern Mississippi for the sanctions to come out in February, 2013. It also seems to point directly at the Compliance Department as the main culprit.

Well...that's an interesting way to look at it I suppose. I mean...the HC of the tennis team got a 7 year show cause, the assistant got a 6 year show cause..

The former coaches also initiated plagiarism and academic misconduct during the fall of 2009.

Specifically, the former head coach paid a second former student-athlete $150 to write a paper for the previously mentioned student-athlete. The former assistant coach continued the academic misconduct by providing the student-athlete with essays that the student-athlete submitted as his own work.

Compounding the unethical conduct, the former coaches refused to participate in the enforcement staff interviews. The former head coach withheld true and complete information during Southern Miss' investigation. In addition, the former assistant coach instructed the former student-athlete to "deny everything" during his interviews.

Obviously Compliance shoulders some responsibility but lol, these coaches were off the reservation.

The statement you bolded is just a clarification that no other sports are included in the one year post season ban the school self imposed on the Tennis team.

Oh, and I missed this on the first reading...

Additionally, the committee found that the former head coach did not follow travel policies and procedures, the athletics senior staff did not maintain proper documents nor provide general administrative oversight of the men’s tennis program and the department failed to provide the athletics compliance function with the necessary staff and resources. As a result, the committee found that Southern Mississippi failed to monitor its men’s tennis program.

Last edited:
Isn't a joke in there some where....the NCAA was so mad the NC basketball cheating scandal that they nailed the southern miss tennis team.

Isn't a joke in there some where....the NCAA was so mad the NC basketball cheating scandal that they nailed the southern miss tennis team.

Yeah if you got the Tennis coaches offering $5000.00 and a car to a tennis player makes ya wonder what is going on in the revenue sports.

Matt Bingaya, 2nd most minutes, 2nd most points... did not start tonight, recorded no stats tonight for USM. May be nothing but I thought worth noting. Maybe he's injured.

Matt Bingaya, 2nd most minutes, 2nd most points... did not start tonight, recorded no stats tonight for USM. May be nothing but I thought worth noting. Maybe he's injured.
He was also one of two players in the original story broken by the disappearing BR reporter, Jason King, which was proven to be totally bogus when Coach T was interviewed by the NCAA just like I said in my very first post after the story broke. So basically we had a bogus reporter and a bogus NCAA investigator along with the NCAA running for cover after Tyndall's lawyers threatened to expose it all.

Update on Rocky Top Insider: http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/02/09/update-on-the-ncaa-and-donnie-tyndall/

Here's a couple highlights:

Also helping Tyndall’s case, Southern Miss self-imposed a postseason ban pointing to their culpability as an institution in at least a portion of the alleged violations. The significance of that should not be discounted as things move forward.
^^This is probably my favorite one. When the Southern Miss self imposed penalty broke, the Cuonzo-lovers like Seth Davis who were waiting for Tyndall to fail were screaming "this is bad news for Donnie Tyndall" but the reality was that anything that Southern Miss was owning up to was good news for Tyndall.

As long as Dave Hart stands by Tyndall (I wrote before the season that he should do everything possible to keep him) – and it looks like he will – and there aren’t any unexpected developments, the future for Tyndall certainly looks brighter than it did at the start of the season.

That’s good news for Donnie Tyndall. That’s good news for Tennessee. And that’s good news for Vol fans.

Reactions: 2 people
Another good clip from the article I linked above:

Tyndall has cooperated 100% with the investigation and without physical proof that he knew about, and/or was an active participant in, these alleged violations, the NCAA can only slap him with a “failure to monitor” or “failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance” charge.

And that certainly looks to be the way this investigation is headed.

ESPN’s Andy Katz joined the Paul Finebaum last week and said something we’ve been preaching since news of the investigation first broke – if the alleged violations at Southern Miss were committed by Tyndall’s assistants and/or other staffers at Southern Miss, Tyndall should keep his job and will probably serve a minimal suspension (two to five games).

Update on Rocky Top Insider: http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/02/09/update-on-the-ncaa-and-donnie-tyndall/

Here's a couple highlights:

^^This is probably my favorite one. When the Southern Miss self imposed penalty broke, the Cuonzo-lovers like Seth Davis who were waiting for Tyndall to fail were screaming "this is bad news for Donnie Tyndall" but the reality was that anything that Southern Miss was owning up to was good news for Tyndall.

Good points Ziti. In your opinion, are the articles being written concerning CDT and the NCAA investigation being driven to some degree by those in the national media who believe Cuonzo got a raw deal here?

If so, IF CDT survives here I'm betting these same guys won't be as quick in writing any articles that paint him in a positive light. This concerns me a great deal from a recruiting perspective.

Good points Ziti. In your opinion, are the articles being written concerning CDT and the NCAA investigation being driven to some degree by those in the national media who believe Cuonzo got a raw deal here?

If so, IF CDT survives here I'm betting these same guys won't be as quick in writing any articles that paint him in a positive light. This concerns me a great deal from a recruiting perspective.

I think once it becomes completely evident (trending more and more that way) that Tyndall will survive here, the Dana O'Neil and Seth Davis types will either ignore it or they will begin to change their tune like Jeff Goodman has started to do already. My guess is they ignore it and move on.

Just my opinion, but right now I think Tyndall is going to be the coach here for a long time. Now, the early concern is recruiting and how does it impact the 2016 class. We've got a 4* forward already so I think we are going to be ok. The two instate players can be huge for Tyndall. Landing just 1 of Ado and Blackwell would be great. Not saying he has to do that but that is my hope.

Hopefully, it will be apparent that Tyndall is going to survive this and recruits will not allow the pending investigation to be a deterrent.

Hopefully all this is true and he can stay here and build a program. I think he's a coach the fanbase will love to root for and I'm hoping the NCAA cloud is why he hasn't been more warmly received.

Not that it's been a bad reception but I think the walk-up crowd that turned out for Pearl has been hesitent to go all in on him because of the thought of him being let go.

Coach Donnie Tyndall will be on the Tony Basilio Show today. It airs from 11 am to 1 pm. "Tyndall is now being given an excellent chance by some of the national hoops writers to make it through this NCAA dustup."
The Tony Basilio Show

I'm cautiously optimistic about him staying. After Kiffin, Cuonzo, and Pearl I've been conditioned to see them quickly disappear from the sideline.

If CDT is as tenacious as he teaches his teams to be, he will survive. I continue to believe he will as well as believing he will take the program to an elite level.

If CDT is as tenacious as he teaches his teams to be, he will survive. I continue to believe he will as well as believing he will take the program to an elite level.
Basilio tried to draw him out on this one saying that most sportswriters now thought he would only get a few game suspension versus losing his job when the concocted story broke from Justin King. He gave his standard response, I understand you asking but I can make no comment on this situation due to the circumstances. He has cooperated 100% and will continue to do so. You can bet Dave Hart knows exactly how this is going. He said a few weeks ago that the University of Tennessee was not expecting a NOA from the NCAA. Now let's put that one in perspective. If they are not going to receive one, why would the university be punished by suspending their coach. You get three guesses and the first two don't count. No suspension, no nothing. Tenacious Tyndall and his lawyers backed them down in the interview when they said they would go directly after the NCAA investigator who worked with the source for 4 years.

Reactions: 5 people
Basilio tried to draw him out on this one saying that most sportswriters now thought he would only get a few game suspension versus losing his job when the concocted story broke from Justin King. He gave his standard response, I understand you asking but I can make no comment on this situation due to the circumstances. He has cooperated 100% and will continue to do so. You can bet Dave Hart knows exactly how this is going. He said a few weeks ago that the University of Tennessee was not expecting a NOA from the NCAA. Now let's put that one in perspective. If they are not going to receive one, why would the university be punished by suspending their coach. You get three guesses and the first two don't count. No suspension, no nothing. Tenacious Tyndall and his lawyers backed them down in the interview when they said they would go directly after the NCAA investigator who worked with the source for 4 years.

That group will groan but you've stayed on top of this...good job. :salute:

SeniorDrill said:
You can bet Dave Hart knows exactly how this is going.

No suspension, no nothing.

As I have posted before nothing that has come out recently is a surprise to hart and as long as his assistants don't turn on CDT he is going to be fine and survive

Zero chance CDT doesn't get a suspension. He has privately admitted a suspension was coming since this ordeal began

The only question is how long will the suspension be

As I have posted before nothing that has come out recently is a surprise to hart and as long as his assistants don't turn on CDT he is going to be fine and survive

Zero chance CDT doesn't get a suspension. He has privately admitted a suspension was coming since this ordeal began

The only question is how long will the suspension be

and when the heck they'll find out.

VN Store

Back