SI: TN to finish last in SEC EAST

I bet Butch has already posted that article front and center in the football facilities. Get a good look at it boys. It's us against the world....and that's damn well how we like it! :rock:

This^^^^^until Oklahome rolls around!

They're setting themselves up to have a great underdog story when we end up being better than projected.

They may well be aware of that. SI loves to do in depth hero stories like that and really that's the kind of thing they thrive on - not projections. Online and print editors that have survived these days know what they're doing. Magazines are mostly dead but SI lives yet which says a great deal about their savvy.

Last year I cautioned everyone about the latent talent that Auburn had, and the likelihood of a post Chizik turn around totally unrelated to Gus Malzahn. Florida has the talent to win the east, but a coach who is the largest under-performer in relation to talent in the SEC if not the nation. Florida's talent makes them dangerous and their coach makes them unpredictable.

The only teams in the SEC last year that performed well outside of talent predictions were UF, Mizzou and Vandy. The rest fell about what talent would predict historically.

I don't trust Muschamp either, but Florida was destroyed by injuries.

Never seen anything like that in my life.

Ironically, what Georgia experienced was damn close

This is perzacktally why I call ESPN

Especially
Stupid
Prognosticators
Network

Now I gotta come up with sumthin for SI.

gimme some help :)

Reactions: 1 person
A few injuries could send this team spiraling. I would say it would take major injuries to O and D line for this team to lose 8. I think UT wins Vandy last year if Worley remains healthy and this team could have finished 7-5 with bowl win. The difference this year is that the back ups will be more able to step in and help.
This year you have more depth and speed. UT had one TE last year, who was playing at about 60%. This year they will have four maybe five healthy TEs. A slew of WRs. Much improved speed at corner and nickel.
At the same time, if they stay healthy and a few more of the young pups blossom early, this team could shock a few.

Last edited:

That determination isn't just a function of the performance last year.

For argument's sake, let's say that the injuries last year were at their peak all season, meaning that the 8 games lost to less talented teams could arguably be explained by those injuries, 'Champ still averages -2.5 games a year under what the vast majority of other coaches could do with that talent.

Realistically, the loss of talent doesn't explain some of the losses that you suffered, including GSU. There is almost no amount of attrition due to injury that could account for that, unless 'Champ created a two deep of random people in the audience based only on the majesty of their mullet, and the perfect fray of their jorts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Butch's response to Staples article:

“Then he predicted we’ll go 4-8”

butch-jones-2-fe.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
If we go 4-8 for the first time in school history and finish dead last in the SECe, behind UK and Vandy, mattresses will burn. With a senior QB and the talent we have, that would be inexcusable. I don't believe for a second that it will happen. The window on that kind of epic fail closed with Dooley.

Reactions: 2 people

That's true but what Muschamp had going on in the latter half of the season wasn't injury destruction but sloppy, horrible, Dooley-ball. He was acting like Dooley a lot as well, his body language in the Cocktail Party was eerily similar. He lost control of that team - not just that the team was forced to rely on inexperience but it completely lacked any discipline. Things completely broke down.

THAT is the only reason I'm loathe to predict a big turnaround for UF. You've got the talent and everyone knows it but your backups, those forced into action by injury, and rest of your team were still better than they played in some of those games.

That said, I hope you beat Bama and then we beat you. :)

i haven't seen you post your calculations for this year. How do we fair with the new class calculated in?

I'm guessing it looks something like this:
08/31/14 vs. Utah State - W
09/06/14 vs. Arkansas State - W
09/13/14 at Oklahoma - L
09/27/14 at Georgia - L
10/04/14 vs. Florida - L (wildcard due to Muschamp)
10/11/14 vs. Chattanooga - W
10/18/14 at Ole Miss * - W (close due to homefield)
10/25/14 vs. Alabama * - L
11/01/14 at South Carolina * - W (tossup; tie goes to home team)
11/15/14 vs. Kentucky * - W
11/22/14 vs. Missouri * - W
11/29/14 at Vanderbilt * - W

i haven't seen you post your calculations for this year. How do we fair with the new class calculated in?

09/13/14 at Oklahoma - L
09/27/14 at Georgia - L

Check the far left column on that link (mybloodisorange.com), make sure you scroll down for all of the explanation.

it could happen,nobody knows what this team will do,i wouldn't think so,but it is hard to say either way

09/13/14 at Oklahoma - L
09/27/14 at Georgia - L

Not that you asked me, but I see it much the same, except I think we skate by UF at home and lose to SC on the road. OM feels like a tossup-- too many flashbacks of being McClustered in Oxford.

Anything can happen this season we could win only four and we could also win as many as 8. We'll know a lot more after the first couple games. If we dominate those games we may be ready to make some noise this season. If we were to beat Utah State by 20 points attitudes would change in the media. If we squeak out a 7 point win or less then we might be headed for another losing season.

VN Store

Back