Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

For some of these impatient folks the proven guy is Santa Clause. You know, it's the guy that you hire one day and wake up the next day with everything you ever wanted.

Santa Claus is just an old man with a beard that lets children sit on his knees for pictures during the holidays. He really doesn't bring any presents. :)

I am grateful that CBJ has brought us out of the depths of the Dooley dumpster fire, although we are not where we need to be yet in terms of national respect and winning.

If UT has a lackluster season of 7-5 or 8-4 this year, then the general consensus is that CBJ will still be here through '18.

However, the elephant in the room is whether CBJ lobbies for, and is granted, a contract extension beyond 2020 if he coaches UT to a lackluster 2017 season. That is the more pressing question IMO.

If 2017 is lackluster(define lackluster), all bets are off(depending on lackluster).

There is a very limited number of elite coaches and, in the end, that's what dissatisfied Vol fans are wanting.
So out of that limited number, you have to

1. find who wants to be here. Don't throw out the "give them a blank check" stuff, several major universities want those few elite and more than a couple have bigger checks than we do.
They will get paid regardless, UT must also be attractive to them. Can't afford Tom Herman either.

2.Are they even willing to sign that kind of check to begin with.

3. I would like to see the replacement's results from the Currie hires he is currently filling.

Fuentes or Peterson won't come cheap. We will have to shake down AD, Boosters and hold one hell of a bake sale to cover their salaries and a buy out of CBJ.

Even Dan Mullen or Hugh Freeze (if he is cleared) would be expensive prospects!

Last edited:
I think that if things go right, that Jones has the chance of making a big leap the next two years. However, if we are going to play this Game of replacing Jones, then how about coming up with our best VFL coaching staff?
AD Makenzie
Peyton HC
Marion Hobby ol
Tee Martin QB
Al Wilson LB
Dale Jones DC
Jim Bob OC
Jay Graham RB
Not sure on WR DB DL

If we fire him for going 8-5 next year we'll get another Dooley because that is what we'll deserve.

I'm not so sure we would deserve another Dooley for letting CBJ go after going 8-5 in year 5 considering years 3 and 4.

It's the hows and whys that would seal his fate.

That would go for any HC not just Butch.

I like our chances of playing in Atlanta a few times this year.

Go Vols!

Figure it out Butch!

I think that if things go right, that Jones has the chance of making a big leap the next two years. However, if we are going to play this Game of replacing Jones, then how about coming up with our best VFL coaching staff?
AD Makenzie
Peyton HC
Marion Hobby ol
Tee Martin QB
Al Wilson LB
Dale Jones DC
Jim Bob OC
Jay Graham RB
Chuck smith DL
Terry Fair DB
Not sure on WR

Reactions: 1 person
I tried to come up with a list of coaches who meet the following criteria..

1. They would actually consider it (ie..they are at inferior job now).

2. Have coaching/recruiting experience in South

3. Currently employed as coach

4. Would be considered an upgrade by fans/industry.

5. No "taint" (ie Petrino)

Here's my list

Fedora, Gundy,G Patterson, Fuente, Mullen.

Theres no top 5 coaches there, they have recruiting questions or they previously passed on job/employed by coach who passed on it.

Edit..I considered Cutcliffe but left him off due to age/health.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If 2017 is lackluster(define lackluster), all bets are off(depending on lackluster).

Lackluster 2017 = 7-5 or 8-4, especially with marginal play against inferior teams and/or >/= 1 loss to an inferior team like Vandy and SC last year.

I am not convinced that a lackluster 2017 means all bets are off. I am not convinced that a lackluster 2017 rules out an extended contract for CBJ.

I hope CBJ has a stellar year from here on out for many years to come. I am not against giving him another year or two to get us back at 10-2 or better, consistently. But if his coaching record in 2017 and 2018 are lackluster, I will be pissed if a contract extension is granted with a raise and an increased $$ buyout.

Fuentes or Peterson won't come cheap. We will have to shake down AD, Boosters and hold one hell of a bake sale to cover their salaries and a buy out of CBJ.

Even Dan Mullen or Hugh Freeze (if he is cleared) would be expensive prospects!

Unless CBJ sits on his rear end for 3 years, we would probably end up paying less than 3 mil of his buy out.

Lackluster 2017 = 7-5 or 8-4, especially with marginal play against inferior teams and/or >/= 1 loss to an inferior team like Vandy and SC last year.

I am not convinced that a lackluster 2017 means all bets are off. I am not convinced that a lackluster 2017 rules out an extended contract for CBJ.

I hope CBJ has a stellar year from here on out for many years to come. I am not against giving him another year or two to get us back at 10-2 or better, consistently. But if his coaching record in 2017 and 2018 are lackluster, I will be pissed if a contract extension is granted with a raise and an increased $$ buyout.

That and/or >/= loss almost gave me a headache.

Away SEC games are tough but SC and Vandy can't happen again.

CBJ is so conservative it has cost us games.
He should keep scoring points until there is no hope for the other team to make a comeback without two onside kicks to go with their a Hail Mary.

Put it together Butch.

The only way Butch gets shown the door is something bad off the field happens in conjunction with a 5-7 type season. If he goes 7-5 or better, he's safe. I know it wouldn't be the result we wanted but unless Currie has a "home run hire" in his back pocket what's the point of getting rid of Butch...at that point?

UT's best bet is for Butch to figure it out and get it done.

Reactions: 5 people
I tried to come up with a list of coaches who meet the following criteria..

1. They would actually consider it (ie..they are at inferior job now).

2. Have coaching/recruiting experience in South

3. Currently employed as coach

4. Would be considered an upgrade by fans/industry.

5. No "taint" (ie Petrino)

Here's my list

Fedora, Gundy,G Patterson, Fuente, Mullen.

Theres no top 5 coaches there, they have recruiting questions or they previously passed on job/employed by coach who passed on it.

Edit..I considered Cutcliffe but left him off due to age/health.

Fedora was 8-5 last year at North Carolina. He lost to Georgia and Virginia Tech, two teams that Jones beat. Upgrade? Really?

Gundy lost to Central Michigan last year.

Patterns was 6-7 last year with a lost to Georgia. Upgrade? Really?

Jones beat Funete last year.

Mullen was 6-7 last year. He has not really set the world on fire.

I'm not sure I consider any of these upgrades. Upgrade = Meyer and Saban and they are not coming.

Reactions: 5 people
Fedora was 8-5 last year at North Carolina. He lost to Georgia and Virginia Tech, two teams that Jones beat. Upgrade? Really?

I'm not sure I consider any of these upgrades. Upgrade = Meyer and Saban and they are not coming.

Thank you. Saved me some typing.

Patterson and Fuente are major upgrades to Jones. Patterson would of taken us to the playoffs last year with our roster. Gundy also is better than Jones.

Fedora - UNC went to ACC Championship game in 2015. Went 11-1 and played Clemson for chance to go to playoff.

Patterson -Took TCU from nothing MWC program to multiple top 10 finishes

Mullen - Had MS State #1 in country. Was national title winning OC.

Gundy has multiple 10 win seasons/NY 6 BOWL games They lost to CMU on blown call

Fuente - HE WON AT MEMPHIS. Won division title in 1st season at VTECH.

By your logic, we should have Dooley since he beat Butch or Bama should hire the LA Monroe coach since they beat Saban.

My point was to prove theres not a lot of slam dunk options.

Reactions: 3 people
The only way Butch gets shown the door is something bad off the field happens in conjunction with a 5-7 type season. If he goes 7-5 or better, he's safe. I know it wouldn't be the result we wanted but unless Currie has a "home run hire" in his back pocket what's the point of getting rid of Butch...at that point?

UT's best bet is for Butch to figure it out and get it done.

The minute I feel like he can't win a NC, he should be let go and try the next guy.

CBJ seems to be a hard worker that pays attention to details.

He is so conservative. Just loosen it one notch and great things should happen.

Go Vols!

Hate these threads. Recruits read this crap and so do opposing coaches. Y'all just make it easier for recruits to not come. Stop it please.

VN Store

Back