Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

I don't think he's on the verge of getting fired either-at least not this season.

However, even if there were a mutual parting of ways, I don't see another major 5 picking him up. On that same token, who could we get that would be better that would actually cone?

This. People can argue back and forth on whether they think Butch is going to make it here. But any honest, reasonable fan has to realize at this point that no other legitimate power 5 team would hire the guy.

Reactions: 2 people
This. People can argue back and forth on whether they think Butch is going to make it here. But any honest, reasonable fan has to realize at this point that no other legitimate power 5 team would hire the guy.

Never mind.

Last edited:
And it was the dumbest decision ever made...we are only now climbing out of that abyss.

Almost ten years later some are starting to realize that it was a mistake to fire Fulmer. Now we have Butch, Hoke, Scott and Shoop who can do it and have the players and in-state talent. I hope they exceed expectations because this is a good staff. The problem is we have a fanbase who will say fire him this year for anything less than a SEC/National Championship even though these same fans predict 7 wins etc. I wish fans would support the team which includes the coaches who are trying to win and recruit.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Almost ten years later some are starting to realize that it was a mistake to fire Fulmer. Now we have Butch, Hoke, Scott and Shoop who can do it and have the players and in-state talent. I hope they exceed expectations because this is a good staff. The problem is we have a fanbase who will say fire him this year for anything less than a SEC/National Championship even though these same fans predict 7 wins etc. I wish fans would support the team which includes the coaches who are trying to win and recruit.

GO VOLS!

There will be a few, but what I'm seeing lately is a large number, if not most of this board will be satisfied with winning the East this year. And to be honest, that's fair.

Reactions: 3 people

GO VOLS!

The reason people predict 7 wins in 2017 is because of the drop in proven talent, and the loss of players responsible for nearly all of the offensive and defensive production from 2016. CBJ was unable to win more than 8 and only 4 SEC games with a 1st string roster with 6 NFL draft picks and 3 NFL Free Agents on it.

7 wins is asafe bet considering that we open with a 'neutral site' game in ATL with GT, play Florida in the swamp, play Alabama in Tuscaloosa, face USCe with a Muschamp-monkey on CBJ's back, are 0-4 against non-Alabama SECw teams, and we're breaking in a new QB, and a new first-time OC. Not to mention we still have players trying to get healthy enough to even practice.

That's a considerable amount of adversity to overcome in the same season. It's not impossible, but it's going to require a level of game-day coaching that CBJ has yet to exhibit in his entire career.

The reason people predict 7 wins in 2017 is because of the drop in proven talent, and the loss of players responsible for nearly all of the offensive and defensive production from 2016. CBJ was unable to win more than 8 and only 4 SEC games with a 1st string roster with 6 NFL draft picks and 3 NFL Free Agents on it.

7 wins is asafe bet considering that we open with a 'neutral site' game in ATL with GT, play Florida in the swamp, play Alabama in Tuscaloosa, face USCe with a Muschamp-monkey on CBJ's back, are 0-4 against non-Alabama SECw teams, and we're breaking in a new QB, and a new first-time OC. Not to mention we still have players trying to get healthy enough to even practice.

That's a considerable amount of adversity to overcome in the same season. It's not impossible, but it's going to require a level of game-day coaching that CBJ has yet to exhibit in his entire career.

What I am saying is if it is 7 wins (which I don't think it will be) then I hope I don't see Bearded Vol and others who predict this then calling for Butch's head.

What I am saying is if it is 7 wins (which I don't think it will be) then I hope I don't see Bearded Vol and others who predict this then calling for Butch's head.

Well, BeardedVol cares about conference wins rather than overall wins, so if we only get 7 wins but we are 6-2 in conference record then BeardedVol probably thinks CBJ is safe till 2018.:good!:

Well, BeardedVol cares about conference wins rather than overall wins, so if we only get 7 wins but we are 6-2 in conference record then BeardedVol probably thinks CBJ is safe till 2018.:good!:

I just don't see you or anyone being happy losing to Ga Tech, Indiana State and Umass and two SEC teams. All we have heard all off season from the Butch critics is about how bad TN was to lose to SC and Vandy. I can't imagine losses to Indiana State, Umass and Ga tech or So Miss in same season.

The above is what a significant portion of the fan base fails to see. The reality of the situation regarding the 2017 season.

The above is what a significant portion of the fan base fails to see. The reality of the situation regarding the 2017 season.

If by fan base you mean the fans on VN, I think you're wrong. I'd bet there are very few that "fail to see" the issues this team faces. I know there are a very loud few that fail to see anything other than what they see.

I can name several posters here that know those issues and more very well, but they enjoy discussing other things too. Not Just Our Problems and everything that sucks.

So if TN wins 7 we don't have to hear the Negavols calling for Butch to be fired because that is what they expected? In reality they will say he only can win 7 because he sucks and if he only wins 7 they will call for his head because they will say he sucks.

If by fan base you mean the fans on VN, I think you're wrong. I'd bet there are very few that "fail to see" the issues this team faces. I know there are a very loud few that fail to see anything other than what they see.

I can name several posters here that know those issues and more very well, but they enjoy discussing other things too. Not Just Our Problems and everything that sucks.

Misery loves company:thud:

Why? Predicting 7 wins doesn't make 7 wins acceptable. Few will be sanguine about a 7-5 season in Year 5.

After the fulmer firing---UT should have gone national, and opened up the bank vault to hire the best coach in the country. Instead, they went cheap with maybe the dumbest hires in the history of college football.

GO VOLS!

It never was a mistake to fire Fulmer. The mistake is the incompetant hiring of his next two replacements.

Fan support comes with quality wins. When Fulmer began losing fan support went down. Same for Majors and Battle.

So if TN wins 7 we don't have to hear the Negavols calling for Butch to be fired because that is what they expected? In reality they will say he only can win 7 because he sucks and if he only wins 7 they will call for his head because they will say he sucks.

But h does suck. With a sucking coach and this team all you can expect is maybe seven wins.

VN Store

Back