Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

Serious problem with Tennessee firing Butch and winning the SEC is that Saban is at Alabama who we play every year. No matter who you hire most likely it's not going to be a better coach than Saban right now. The SEC title and the National Title are contingent on getting a coach that can consistently beat Bama. Now are you going to fire a coach that recruits well, represents the university well, and has had some success beating Florida and Georgia to gamble that maybe you get a better coach BUT most likely you still do not have a good enough coach to win the SEC or NT?

I'm all for getting a better hire but if we're not going to pony up the money for the likes of Chip Kelly then I'll roll with Butch until he has a disastrous season or Saban gets the hell out of Bama.

Reactions: 4 people
I choose to believe that a Tennessee team will defeat one of Saban's Bama teams. I hope that this will happen more than once.

*No, a coaching change at Tennessee isn't a prerequisite. There is vast territory between blind support for Butch and claiming he's done and needs to be replaced. Many alumni and fans freely roam, here. It's quite pleasant.

Reactions: 1 person
Well he has been nowhere near 6-6. So if he does that this year I could see the AD saying you have a year to change this or I'm making a change.

You're also ridiculous for thinking that going 6-6 in year 5 will not warrant a firing or resignation. If Butch fails to win the East this season, and underachieves yet again, then he is long gone. Currie has already proven that he is not afraid to make a change(Tennis and Baseball).

Jones regular season record at Tennessee
2013: 5-7 (2-6)
2014: 6-6 (3-5)
2015: 8-4 (5-3)
2016: 8-4 (4-4)

He's under contract through 2020. My hope is that the Vols improve in conference play and overall during the next four seasons.

Serious problem with Tennessee firing Butch and winning the SEC is that Saban is at Alabama who we play every year. No matter who you hire most likely it's not going to be a better coach than Saban right now. The SEC title and the National Title are contingent on getting a coach that can consistently beat Bama. Now are you going to fire a coach that recruits well, represents the university well, and has had some success beating Florida and Georgia to gamble that maybe you get a better coach BUT most likely you still do not have a good enough coach to win the SEC or NT?

I'm all for getting a better hire but if we're not going to pony up the money for the likes of Chip Kelly then I'll roll with Butch until he has a disastrous season or Saban gets the hell out of Bama.

Some interesting points made.
Over his career (and there is nothing to suggest that changing any time soon) Saban has not allowed anything/anyone to get in his way on a consistent basis. The only one that I think could have would have been Meyer, but he bolted for an easier path to NC game in OSU. And I don't think he would have divided the wealth equally anyway. Miles had a short run at him with some very talented teams but that gap grew instead of shrinking.
The rest of the conference is just waiting at this point, in regards to the conference and beyond. You are essentially setting yourself up for a run when the smoke clears.
The question is who across the conference feels really good about where they will be when that happens?

Some interesting points made.
Over his career (and there is nothing to suggest that changing any time soon) Saban has not allowed anything/anyone to get in his way on a consistent basis. The only one that I think could have would have been Meyer, but he bolted for an easier path to NC game in OSU. And I don't think he would have divided the wealth equally anyway. Miles had a short run at him with some very talented teams but that gap grew instead of shrinking.
The rest of the conference is just waiting at this point, in regards to the conference and beyond. You are essentially setting yourself up for a run when the smoke clears.
The question is who across the conference feels really good about where they will be when that happens?
I think Butch has some very questionable losses to be sure and maybe they can do better but it's a huge gamble. I think Mullen is a pretty good coach at Miss State. I'd love to see what he could do with some actual talent consistently. Hell ranking the coaches in the SEC is such a task as well out side of Saban.

Freeze had back to back wins versus Saban BUT he has huge baggage with him. Mcelwain has a loss to Butch but has backed into the SEC east title a few years. Muschamp has owned Butch but got ran out of UF. Several coaches in the West and idk that any have an argument of being better than the other.

Last edited:
I think Butch has some very questionable losses to be sure and maybe they can do better but it's a huge gamble. I think Mullen is a pretty good coach at Miss State. I'd love to see what he could do with some actual talent consistently. Hell ranking the coaches in the SEC is such a task as well out side of Saban.

Freeze had back to back wins versus Saban BUT he has huge baggage with him. Mcelwain has a loss to Butch but has backed into the SEC east title a few years. Muschamp has owned Butch but got ran out of UF. Several coaches in the West and idk that any have an argument of being better than the other.

I think Mullen is the best coach in the conference not named Saban. Coaching at State, in that division, is uphill most every week. They are essentially UK in the better division in the conference.

The gamble comes with those pulling the strings. Until they get smarter or get out of the way for people that are, it is what it is.

I think Mullen is the best coach in the conference not named Saban. Coaching at State, in that division, is uphill most every week. They are essentially UK in the better division in the conference.

The gamble comes with those pulling the strings. Until they get smarter or get out of the way for people that are, it is what it is.

I'm not really sure though. Yes, he's a great QB coach as well but Prescott was heavily involved in his success at Mississippi St. Last year he went 6-7 3-5 Conference play. Not exactly lighting up the world on fire. I'm not saying he couldn't be successful here but I'm not ready to say that he would be a major upgrade over Butch.

You're also ridiculous for thinking that going 6-6 in year 5 will not warrant a firing or resignation. If Butch fails to win the East this season, and underachieves yet again, then he is long gone. Currie has already proven that he is not afraid to make a change(Tennis and Baseball).

Serrano told Dave Hart last year that if he didn't get it done this year that he'd resign. It wasn't as bold of an AD move as you think.

I think there's a large enough gap between Saban and Jones that if Jones had a bad season, UT could fire Jones and get an upgrade. They'll have to pay for it but they could get an upgrade.

A better (but not elite) coach may not be able to win the SEC if Saban still has Alabama rolling. They could win the SEC east, beat Will Muschamp, consistently beat Vandy, etc... without beating Alabama. There's lots of room for improvement.

I like Butch so I'd much prefer him just to have a good year this year and keep the recruiting rolling. I'm even somewhat optimistic that will happen. If it doesn't though, UT shouldn't let the fact that Saban is dominating the league prevent them from looking for an upgrade.

I'm not really sure though. Yes, he's a great QB coach as well but Prescott was heavily involved in his success at Mississippi St. Last year he went 6-7 3-5 Conference play. Not exactly lighting up the world on fire. I'm not saying he couldn't be successful here but I'm not ready to say that he would be a major upgrade over Butch.

I wouldn't sell him that short on just being a QB guy. He's been pretty competitive during a the most brutal stretch in that division. It takes a little more than that. Im not sure why Prescott would be a negative against Mullen as a coach. Getting him there and helping develop him into a starting NFL QB is impressive. Its not like MSU was historically pumping them out before he got there.

Footnote accolade: It may be said that Butch Jones played a part in Steve Spurrier's decision to step down. Jones' Tennessee teams were 3-0 against Spurrier's South Carolina teams. In 2013, one of SoCar's only two losses was to a rebuilding Vols squad (eventual 5-7, 2-6) so chocked full of true freshmen that it was said pimples outnumbered pads. In 2014, a 4-4 USCe looked to right their season hosting a 3-5 UT, only to fall to the Vols, 45-42 in OT. In 2015, Spurrier stepped down as HC ~3 weeks before his Gamecocks team would face the Vols in Knoxville, coming up short, 24-27.

In almost every thread that a losing or even 8-5 season should get Butch fired. I was just wondering about the economics of it happening. The buy out would be huge and a new coach of the caliber wanted would cost closer to 5 million than 4. Just asking. It's the off season and I need something to read.

The time to get a top coach has come and gone. I think we went all in on Butch Jones. If we lose we lose and the program takes a big hit. At that point, the only way to get a top coach would be pay the huge bucks, which the UT administration will never do. He needs to be successful.

Footnote accolade: It may be said that Butch Jones played a part in Steve Spurrier's decision to step down. Jones' Tennessee teams were 3-0 against Spurrier's South Carolina teams. In 2013, one of SoCar's only two losses was to a rebuilding Vols squad (eventual 5-7, 2-6) so chocked full of true freshmen that it was said pimples outnumbered pads. In 2014, a 4-4 USCe looked to right their season hosting a 3-5 UT, only to fall to the Vols, 45-42 in OT. In 2015, Spurrier stepped down as HC ~3 weeks before his Gamecocks team would face the Vols in Knoxville, coming up short, 24-27.

Would be a substantial stretch. Spurrier was ready to slow down, Jerri didn't object in any way.

It's a message board. This thread won't change a recruits mind.

I've seen comments posted in the past from recruits who said things like "coach may be fired" "the rumors of coaches being fired" etc. Where do rumors come from? Places like message boards.

Yes, Saban is a really good coach but not sure he is much better than a lot of coaches. Did he dominate everywhere he's been? NO! He is a really good coach at a school that was known for being a dominate football powerhouse. The combination has allowed him to be ultra successful.

I've seen comments posted in the past from recruits who said things like "coach may be fired" "the rumors of coaches being fired" etc. Where do rumors come from? Places like message boards.

If a coaches recruiting abilities can't overcome message board ramblings, then there are bigger problems in the program.

VN Store

Back