Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

Does Currie have that authority?

I would say yes in as far as just making the decision. Now paying for it and the replacement is what he would have to sell unless he already had that opinion in his pocket.

It's very similar to politics in that regard and UT is a house divided most of the time.

My hope is for a 12 win season and some foolish Midwestern school swoops in and hires him away! He is a good recruiter but a horrible coach. There are others out there that could do both. One is a former UT quarterback that is now retired from the NFL and delivering Papa John's pizza to make ends meet. Another is a former UT clipboard holder that is offensive coordinator for the NFL's Lions. There are other options with ORANGE roots and I hope Currie would move in that direction.

He will not be hired away from Tennessee.. only way he leaves is if he is let go IMO

Currie himself appears to be willing if he feels it's needed.

The issue comes when you go to get the $ backing to do that and hire a new staff. If it's there it makes it substantially easier. If not he's gambling with his own job if doesn't fit the pieces together to make an improvement. UT has a poor track record in that regard.

Exactly. Has it changed? If so, for better or worse and who is it better or worse for?

Exactly. Has it changed? If so, for better or worse and who is it better or worse for?

Million dollar question.

Until the time comes I don't think anyone knows.

The system is disjointed up there and has been for awhile.

If,I were Urban Crier, Saban, etc. etc. I would not want to go to a program in which many of the fans easily turn against the coaches and players. I would not want to work for a program whose athletic program will fire Fulmer and Conzo who weren't bad coaches.

If Alabama were to have two seasons in a row where they dropped 3 games each season, then their fans would start up the "game has passed him by" complaints towards Saban. I know it sounds crazy but the expectation for Alabama is crazy high. I don't think the university is crazy enough to listen but the fans would start to moan about it.

If Alabama were to have two seasons in a row where they dropped 3 games each season, then their fans would start up the "game has passed him by" complaints towards Saban. I know it sounds crazy but the expectation for Alabama is crazy high. I don't think the university is crazy enough to listen but the fans would start to moan about it.

Exactly. He gets called out now for not beating people bad enough. Or losing a NC.

The next guy won't have a chance.

You think OSU fans went "meh" when Meyer got waxed by Dabo?

Neither would be on the verge of getting fired but they both take shots after being excellent in most regards.

Last edited:
I swear I think a lot of you hope he's fired! You need to remember where we were when he came here! I want a championship as bad as the next guy or gal. But we were so far behind in all facets it will take some time for who ever is the coach!

Reactions: 4 people
I am grateful that CBJ has brought us out of the depths of the Dooley dumpster fire, although we are not where we need to be yet in terms of national respect and winning.

If UT has a lackluster season of 7-5 or 8-4 this year, then the general consensus is that CBJ will still be here through '18.

However, the elephant in the room is whether CBJ lobbies for, and is granted, a contract extension beyond 2020 if he coaches UT to a lackluster 2017 season. That is the more pressing question IMO.

Here's my exact input on this whole situation. If our Administration is going to fire Butch, they better have somebody good lined up instead of making a "Panic" type of hire. Butch has done a good job of bringing this program back to a respectable level. It would be horrible to bring someone in who's similar or even worse than Butch.

We would not be upgrading and we'll be right back where we started. Is Currie willing to bring a truck load full of cash to a proven coach? That's yet to be seen but if we make another average hire, we're in very deep trouble. The Butch era is about as good as we've been in a long time so in order for us to move up to a Championship Team level, the right hire HAS to be made.

Would someone please dear god name a freaking coach instead of this mythical proven guy!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I swear I think a lot of you hope he's fired! You need to remember where we were when he came here! I want a championship as bad as the next guy or gal. But we were so far behind in all facets it will take some time for who ever is the coach!

I would have been fine with Kiffin or Dooley succeeding here no different than Jones.

I don't get too much into the, "remember where we were talk", like Jones left a great job to do UT a favor. He took a good job where he was allowed ample time to straighten out some things and win. And during that time He was compensated better than anywhere else He could have gone.
He has gotten a lot right but it has to manifest pretty soon. The game is different than 30 years ago. You don't have 8-10 years of variance.

That's the way those USCe fans were about CSS!

When Kiffin bolted for USC was Jones on your radar early?

If not, at what point did he?

I'm not burdened by the belief in a mythical proven coach figure. Jones wasn't on Haslam's radar after Kiffin but he was a prime target after Dooley. I don't have a coaching radar. Evidently you and several others do. I'm simply asking who this mythical proven coach is that everyone wants to dump a ton of cash on. Please don't tell me Peyton, Cooter, or Gruden because they aren't/won't come here, and in the case of the 3rd, never was coming here.

Reactions: 1 person
How many mediocre seasons did Dabo have at Clemson before he got things right? Give Butch Jones time..

After the Kiffin and Dooley years, I am more than content with 8-10 wins seasons. Hey.. UTs administration isn't exactly stellar when it comes to big name hires. Has John Currie even ever hired a college football coach?? Bill Snyder has been at K-State since leather football helmets were the norm.

In almost every thread that a losing or even 8-5 season should get Butch fired. I was just wondering about the economics of it happening. The buy out would be huge and a new coach of the caliber wanted would cost closer to 5 million than 4. Just asking. It's the off season and I need something to read.

Witch Doctor say if you notice all 95% of these "fahr Butch" is by the same 6 posters and one longsuffering troll(yes) on here.....it sounds like silly girls fussing about barbie dolls dresses

BNL

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Honest question, and try and be as objective as is possible on any teams' site- if we played Memphis this year, who would be favored and by how much?

VN Store

Back