Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

The guy delivering pizzas for Papa John's ain't coming,,,sorry. The OC for the Lions is working to become a HC in the NFL. Oh by the way,the guy that looks like a murderous doll ain't coming either.
Butch is going anywhere till at least after 2018 if then. Like some have said,if y'all think the administration will offer a truckload of money to get a coach that y'all want,,,,well I'm sorry for ya. Plus I don't have much faith in their abilities to find a coach that's guaranteed to be better than Butch. He has his faults and we all know it but the coaching pool is hit or miss for a few years.
I raise you Chip Kelly on the coaching pool

Reactions: 6 people
This is what I'm afraid of. Whether Butch is the answer or not, I'm afraid our program will be set back a couple of years due to not spending good money on a proven coach. They'll settle for someone similar to Butch that'll produce the same results we already have.

It's basically a lose situation either way.

Sadly, it would be way longer than two years. Look at how long it has taken Butch to dig out of the Dooley experiment. If he was to get fired and the AD/boosters didn't go after a top tier coach the program would be set back 6+ years.

Reactions: 2 people
In almost every thread that a losing or even 8-5 season should get Butch fired. I was just wondering about the economics of it happening. The buy out would be huge and a new coach of the caliber wanted would cost closer to 5 million than 4. Just asking. It's the off season and I need something to read.

I can't help but wonder. Each time that members of the fan base talk harshly about our players and our coaches if that affects potential coaches interest in the program.
Or if our firing Fulmer with a 75% winning average, firing Dooley and running Conzo out of town affects potential coaches interest in the program.
Or if our strength of schedule affects potential coaches being interested in the program.

If,I were Urban Crier, Saban, etc. etc. I would not want to go to a program in which many of the fans easily turn against the coaches and players. I would not want to work for a program whose athletic program will fire Fulmer and Conzo who weren't bad coaches. I also would not want to work for a program who had to play Florida, Georgia & Alabama each season.
So, each time that we complain or make hints of firing bUTch, it ends up harming the program.
That is why we are interested in top coaches but the ones who are interested in us are Mike Leech or Sonny Dykes....... None of the top coaches are interested in our program...

Reactions: 5 people
My hope is for a 12 win season and some foolish Midwestern school swoops in and hires him away! He is a good recruiter but a horrible coach. There are others out there that could do both. One is a former UT quarterback that is now retired from the NFL and delivering Papa John's pizza to make ends meet. Another is a former UT clipboard holder that is offensive coordinator for the NFL's Lions. There are other options with ORANGE roots and I hope Currie would move in that direction.

If either would do it, any amount of money would be worth it.

Tell Butch, It's year 5, now is the time to win them all. PM and Jim Bob Cooter will be our next coaching team. Win and stay, lose and leave.

The twist is, PM is the DC, Al Wilson is the OC, and Cedric Wilson runs ST.

I hope Butch is here till Peyton is old and the trophy cases are over flowing.

Who said, "freebase some GBO".

Nope, sure won't. He goes 6-6 this season the 2018 season would be the does he get fired or not by record.

What makes you guys so sure that it absolutely won't happen? I mean, I could see it maybe not happen but I most certainly think it could.

Reactions: 1 person
Rudy123, I agree with you. I'd be stunned if any other fan base spent half as much time as us ripping coaches, players, recruits and administrators. And then they expect the best of the best to jump on the opportunity to come to Knoxville and get ripped to pieces. I've been as upset over some of our results as anyone else, but CBJ has done nothing to justify the daily criticism he takes on here. He took a tough job and he has made it better. As much as I hate to admit this, Alabama has raised the bar for everyone. When have we ever proven to be near the dynasty that they are? And we should know by now that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Although some might not realize it, our glass is much closer to being half full than it is to being half empty.

Reactions: 6 people
Are people still living in the fantasy land where Tennessee spends a ton of money to hire a proven coach? hahahahaha bless your hearts..

UT, UF, UGA none have a history of rolling out the checkbook and paying a name coach to come in and win. The history for these schools is an up and coming head coach or an assistant.

Reactions: 2 people
I raise you Chip Kelly on the coaching pool

He may be a great one. I just see him doing like Bruce Pearl is doing,did great for us but So So at Auburn. I can see Kelly the same way,did great at Oregon but will be So So somewhere else.

In almost every thread that a losing or even 8-5 season should get Butch fired. I was just wondering about the economics of it happening. The buy out would be huge and a new coach of the caliber wanted would cost closer to 5 million than 4. Just asking. It's the off season and I need something to read.

No Jones shouldnt be fired now. He has done a pretty good job thus far, despite the trend of dropping at least one game every year that he should. However, two years from now it will be another story, hopefully not, but likely.

What makes you guys so sure that it absolutely won't happen? I mean, I could see it maybe not happen but I most certainly think it could.

Well he has been nowhere near 6-6. So if he does that this year I could see the AD saying you have a year to change this or I'm making a change.

Last edited:
People sure are pinning a lot of hopes on a recruiting class. Even if it does actually sign, does this mean we have to give Butch three years for them to be experienced? Remember once they sign, it's gonna be the ol "75% of our team has never flown on an airplane" routine again.

Here's my exact input on this whole situation. If our Administration is going to fire Butch, they better have somebody good lined up instead of making a "Panic" type of hire. Butch has done a good job of bringing this program back to a respectable level. It would be horrible to bring someone in who's similar or even worse than Butch.

We would not be upgrading and we'll be right back where we started. Is Currie willing to bring a truck load full of cash to a proven coach? That's yet to be seen but if we make another average hire, we're in very deep trouble. The Butch era is about as good as we've been in a long time so in order for us to move up to a Championship Team level, the right hire HAS to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Well he has been nowhere near 6-6. So if he does that this year I could see the AD saying you have a year to change this or I'm making a cgange.

I could see that happen too, but I can also see a new AD making a change. I just don't see it as absolute.

I could see that happen too, but I can also see a new AD making a change. I just don't see it as absolute.

I would hope after 9-5 seasons our AD doesnt fire a coach after a single 6-6 record without a warning to the coach for the following year. If he does, he would find it almost impossible to fill the position.

Reactions: 3 people
I would hope after 9-5 seasons our AD doesnt fire a coach after a single 6-6 record without a warning to the coach for the following year. If he does, he would find it almost impossible to fill the position.

Coaches understand how it works in big time football. Even when there is an AD change. That's why they get paid for not working when they are fired.

I'm not really sure what a "warning" does in that case anyway.

Currie himself appears to be willing if he feels it's needed.

The issue comes when you go to get the $ backing to do that and hire a new staff. If it's there it makes it substantially easier. If not he's gambling with his own job if doesn't fit the pieces together to make an improvement. UT has a poor track record in that regard.

Currie himself appears to be willing if he feels it's needed.

The issue comes when you go to get the $ backing to do that and hire a new staff. If it's there it makes it substantially easier. If not he's gambling with his own job if doesn't fit the pieces together to make an improvement. UT has a poor track record in that regard.

Does Currie have that authority?

I can't help but wonder. Each time that members of the fan base talk harshly about our players and our coaches if that affects potential coaches interest in the program.
Or if our firing Fulmer with a 75% winning average, firing Dooley and running Conzo out of town affects potential coaches interest in the program.
Or if our strength of schedule affects potential coaches being interested in the program.

If,I were Urban Crier, Saban, etc. etc. I would not want to go to a program in which many of the fans easily turn against the coaches and players. I would not want to work for a program whose athletic program will fire Fulmer and Conzo who weren't bad coaches. I also would not want to work for a program who had to play Florida, Georgia & Alabama each season.
So, each time that we complain or make hints of firing bUTch, it ends up harming the program.
That is why we are interested in top coaches but the ones who are interested in us are Mike Leech or Sonny Dykes....... None of the top coaches are interested in our program...

You know you just described every elite program in the nation?

VN Store

Back