Rocky Top League 2017

Sharp shooting Jacob Fleschman TGO has warned us all about had a huge night with 3 points :)

I haven't said he could play. I've merely pointed out that it was unusual for a walk-on to redshirt and also that he's followed Barnes from Austin. I'm hoping that he can play, but I'm not declaring that I know for sure that he can.

Seeing Walker was worth the cost of admission... well if there was one anyway.

He slowed down quickly, but if he gets his conditioning up to speed he is going to be very good. Not necessarily a scorer out of the gate, but after a couple of years he could be. His motor was running like Fulkerson's was last year. He can leap out of the gym. He was putting on quite a dunking exhibition during warm-ups. He kind of has an attitude on the court... real aggressive going for rebounds and loose balls. He was setting picks left and right... IN THE RTL!

He looks like a bigger, stronger, faster version of Jabari McGhee.

Seeing Walker was worth the cost of admission... well if there was one anyway.

He slowed down quickly, but if he gets his conditioning up to speed he is going to be very good. Not necessarily a scorer out of the gate, but after a couple of years he could be. His motor was running like Fulkerson's was last year. He can leap out of the gym. He was putting on quite a dunking exhibition during warm-ups. He kind of has an attitude on the court... real aggressive going for rebounds and loose balls. He was setting picks left and right... IN THE RTL!

He looks like a bigger, stronger, faster version of Jabari McGhee.

You said it .......IN THE RTL.

I haven't said he could play. I've merely pointed out that it was unusual for a walk-on to redshirt and also that he's followed Barnes from Austin. I'm hoping that he can play, but I'm not declaring that I know for sure that he can.

Out of curiosity, has something been said that he followed Barnes to Tennessee, or is it just a coincidence possibly? I highly doubt Fleschman is the only guy at UT from Austin, TX.

BTW, it's a bit of a misconception that defense is not played in the RTL. Those guys go hard at each other on both ends... especially in the paint. They do dial it back just enough to try to prevent injuries. There aren't cheap shots taken, but they work hard in the passing lanes and attempt to block every shot. The scoring is so high because traveling and double dribbling is non-existent and the teams aren't able to install a system. But make no mistake about it, nobody is giving an inch in the one-on-one matchups.

Reactions: 1 person
Out of curiosity, has something been said that he followed Barnes to Tennessee, or is it just a coincidence possibly? I highly doubt Fleschman is the only guy at UT from Austin, TX.

I have no idea... but if he grew up in Austin he would have seen some really good Texas teams in his childhood. I really wanted to see him play (shoot), but I didn't get over there in time for any of game 1.

I have no idea... but if he grew up in Austin he would have seen some really good Texas teams in his childhood. I really wanted to see him play (shoot), but I didn't get over there in time for any of game 1.

So you don't actually know that "Fleschman followed Barnes to Tennessee"? If you didn't mean to infer the following then I apologize, but I have always taken you saying "Fleschman followed Barnes to Tennessee" and that why it's a possibility he plays to mean that the two knew each other and in some way Barnes invited him to come to Knoxville where he would have a walk-on spot? If it's simply a coincidence that he's from Austin then Fleschman is no different than Lucas or Woodson...simply a walk-on filling a spot on the scout team and in workouts, unlikely to ever play meaningful minutes.

BTW, it's a bit of a misconception that defense is not played in the RTL. Those guys go hard at each other on both ends... especially in the paint. They do dial it back just enough to try to prevent injuries. There aren't cheap shots taken, but they work hard in the passing lanes and attempt to block every shot. The scoring is so high because traveling and double dribbling is non-existent and the teams aren't able to install a system. But make no mistake about it, nobody is giving an inch in the one-on-one matchups.

Yeah I will agree with this somewhat. Other than a backcourt steal and a blocked shot at the rim, defense isn't a priority in this style of scrimmage, anyway. The KNS isn't going to report on anyone shutting down the other team's best scorer, instead it would report on that player having an off-night from the field. When almost every possession ends in a fast break or an NBA range 3 pointer it's near impossible to play lockdown defense, anyway. This is why a guy like Dane Bradshaw was never a great RTL player. Hustle stats don't win games in summer 5 on 5 games.

I haven't been in a few years but I used to go to the games when I lived in Knoxville and the environment is no different than most AAU games.

If you hang around here long enough you'll be convinced that it's worse than it really is, but this league is more about getting in shape before fall and getting shots up than anything.

So you don't actually know that "Fleschman followed Barnes to Tennessee"? If you didn't mean to infer the following then I apologize, but I have always taken you saying "Fleschman followed Barnes to Tennessee" and that why it's a possibility he plays to mean that the two knew each other and in some way Barnes invited him to come to Knoxville where he would have a walk-on spot? If it's simply a coincidence that he's from Austin then Fleschman is no different than Lucas or Woodson...simply a walk-on filling a spot on the scout team and in workouts, unlikely to ever play meaningful minutes.

I've always meant that he followed him geographically from Austin to Knoxville and have never thought of it as meaning invited. I do have a vague recollection of reading something to make me think Barnes knew about him before JF decided to come to TN. If I decide to look for a link and find one I'll post.

I've always meant that he followed him geographically from Austin to Knoxville and have never thought of it as meaning invited. I do have a vague recollection of reading something to make me think Barnes knew about him before JF decided to come to TN. If I decide to look for a link and find one I'll post.

Gotcha, would be curious if so. My thought is that JF likely planned to attend Tennessee long before Barnes ever was coach, the fact he is from Austin just happens to be a coincidence imo.

Gotcha, would be curious if so. My thought is that JF likely planned to attend Tennessee long before Barnes ever was coach, the fact he is from Austin just happens to be a coincidence imo.

I'd be very surprised if Fleschman was at TN for any reason other than Barnes. Unless he has an academic scholarship and is enrolled in a program that is unique to TN, I can't imagine him wanting to leave Texas and pay out of state tuition in TN.

I'd be very surprised if Fleschman was at TN for any reason other than Barnes. Unless he has an academic scholarship and is enrolled in a program that is unique to TN, I can't imagine him wanting to leave Texas and pay out of state tuition in TN.

Common for coaches to take on kids like this who are going to be hard workers, stay out of trouble, raise the team GPA and bring their all to practice when they mimic opponents on the scout team.

Same reason John Calipari gave Brian Long a walk-on spot at Kentucky a few years back. Knew him and his family from when he lived in the Northeast, had an extra spot, and gave the kid a spot on the bench.

Good to have kids like this represent your program, run the scout team and help teammates during study tables.

And you're confident Fleschman has no family in Tennessee? You seem to be drawing a lot of your own conclusions based on a whole lot of assumptions.

Cool story, thanks for clarification, here's to hoping he's much better than most walk-ons and he's essentially a 14th scholarship player

I wonder why his scoring average was so low? Something like 11 PPG. But he was selected as All-state in his region or division.

Westlake is a huge high school, powerhouse in almost every sport. They have produced a ton of pro athletes.

Just being one of the top few guys on a good Westlake team means you're one of the better players in the state of Texas. If he lived in Tennessee during his high school years he would have put up Galen Campbell or Brandon Lopez numbers.

Westlake is a huge high school, powerhouse in almost every sport. They have produced a ton of pro athletes.

Just being one of the top few guys on a good Westlake team means you're one of the better players in the state of Texas. If he lived in Tennessee during his high school years he would have put up Galen Campbell or Brandon Lopez numbers.

Good to know. I figured he was from a small high school in a Podunk division.

VN Store

Back