Rocky Top League 2017

Sounds a little like Emmanuel Negedu, one of my favorite Vols to take the court, hated what life threw at him.

I think that Walker is probably a better passer and dribbler. They're real similar at how fearless they play. I'd also use the adjective "violent" to describe Walker. Not at all meaning that he's dirty or trying to fight. It's just that he flies around with a lot of energy... especially on the defensive end. It's kind of like he's a linebacker. He's under control and powerful with his movements. He's not necessarily knocking people around, but if you're a guard or even a small forward, you really wouldn't want to get in his way.

Don't forget, this is the RTL. Nobody is going to knock him on his ass in this league. There are some very good players, but they're careful to avoid injuries. He can play with more confidence knowing that he won't be involved in a major collision.

I saw him defend Weezy a couple of times. Once Chism kind of pulled a veteran move on DW in the paint... went around and under him for a pretty easy score. Another time Weezy was pretending to be a guard trying to make a move on the perimeter. DW won that matchup with Weezy unable to drive around him and missing a 3-pointer. But Weezy has it dialed back a little. He's mainly out there having fun. Always has a big smile and joking around with the refs and other players.

I think that Walker is probably a better passer and dribbler. They're real similar at how fearless they play. I'd also use the adjective "violent" to describe Walker. Not at all meaning that he's dirty or trying to fight. It's just that he flies around with a lot of energy... especially on the defensive end. It's kind of like he's a linebacker. He's under control and powerful with his movements. He's not necessarily knocking people around, but if you're a guard or even a small forward, you really wouldn't want to get in his way.

Don't forget, this is the RTL. Nobody is going to knock him on his ass in this league. There are some very good players, but they're careful to avoid injuries. He can play with more confidence knowing that he won't be involved in a major collision.

I saw him defend Weezy a couple of times. Once Chism kind of pulled a veteran move on DW in the paint... went around and under him for a pretty easy score. Another time Weezy was pretending to be a guard trying to make a move on the perimeter. DW won that matchup with Weezy unable to drive around him and missing a 3-pointer. But Weezy has it dialed back a little. He's mainly out there having fun. Always has a big smile and joking around with the refs and other players.

Sounds exactly what this team needs. A 6'8 enforcer type that can rebound, block shots, start the break with a good outlet pass and get an offensive rebound and dunk on u. If he gets in shape, I want to see him play 25 mins a game, because UT has nobody like him and they need somebody like him to compete in the SEC

Sounds exactly what this team needs. A 6'8 enforcer type that can rebound, block shots, start the break with a good outlet pass and get an offensive rebound and dunk on u. If he gets in shape, I want to see him play 25 mins a game, because UT has nobody like him and they need somebody like him to compete in the SEC

25min a game?

Whose minutes he stealing?

Or am I wrong that lack of a big man, has been our weakness for the last 2 years?

Grant Williams was pretty damn good as a freshman, no? Have to remember also that before his injury John Fulkerson was getting 20+ minutes a game. Kyle Alexander has progressed and assuming he's done the same this off season as a junior I would imagine he's going to see the court. I will stick with what I've been predicting in that Walker gets about 10mpg, doesn't mean he doesn't play a major role or make an impact, just don't see huge minutes barring injury.

He's not playing high minutes this year. He has too much to learn and needs to be able to not let up after a couple of minutes of high intensity play. If he plays this year he'll lose his assignment for easy back door baskets. His guy will fake him out now and then for Sports Center highlight dunks. But Walker is smart, athletic, and has a lot if finesse for his size. He's probably not going to take off like Williams did last year. He has great upside. But if Alexander gets into a funk, Walker could get thrown into the fray.

I wasn't watching Kyle real intently, but I did see him fumble a pass right under the basket. IMO that was his biggest problem last year... mishandling passes that would have led to easy baskets had he hung into the ball.

Grant Williams was pretty damn good as a freshman, no? Have to remember also that before his injury John Fulkerson was getting 20+ minutes a game. Kyle Alexander has progressed and assuming he's done the same this off season as a junior I would imagine he's going to see the court. I will stick with what I've been predicting in that Walker gets about 10mpg, doesn't mean he doesn't play a major role or make an impact, just don't see huge minutes barring injury.

Agreed. Walker doesn't get double digit minutes imo. Schofield and williams each have to play 20+

10 mpg sounds about right to me if he doesn't redshirt and TN is injury free. Fewer early except versus bad teams. He may not get in versus UNC and Wake. He could play 20+ versus a Presbyterian type of opponent.

I'm kind of thinking that nobody is going to be redshirted. Barnes needs to win this year and get to the NCAAT to shut down the negativity that is ramping up. He can't really do what's best for the roster 3 or 4 years down the road. Zach Kent could use a RS, but without him TN again has a very short team.

Agreed. Walker doesn't get double digit minutes imo. Schofield and williams each have to play 20+

Yup...I still think something like...

Bone 20/Darrington 20
Daniel 23/Bowden 17
Schofield 12/Pons 15/Johnson 13
Williams 28/Schofield 12
Alexander 18/Fulkerson 17/Walker 5

Kent redshirts and Turner is last man standing...I am curious to see it play out, something tells me Turner isn't long for the world but I could be 100% wrong.

10 mpg sounds about right to me if he doesn't redshirt and TN is injury free. Fewer early except versus bad teams. He may not get in versus UNC and Wake. He could play 20+ versus a Presbyterian type of opponent.

I'm kind of thinking that nobody is going to be redshirted. Barnes needs to win this year and get to the NCAAT to shut down the negativity that is ramping up. He can't really do what's best for the roster 3 or 4 years down the road. Zach Kent could use a RS, but without him TN again has a very short team.

I don't think Tennessee is as short as people think...almost every team uses shoe measurements, Tennessee goes barefoot, so add 1-2" to the roster and all of a sudden we've got 4 guys 6'9" or taller.

Monday has a bunch of interesting matchups.

6pm Schofield v Bowden/Johnson

7:30pm Bone v Jalen Steele/Dre Mathieu

9pm Grant Williams/Zach Kent v Derrick Walker/Lester Wilson and Rashawn Rembert (ETSU)/Michael Blue/Brandon Cole (and Darrington)

There are only 2 nights left for 2 of the teams. There are only 5 nights this year instead of the usual 6. It's not a round robin.

Mon, Jun 26
6:00 pm Garza Law Firm DeRoyal Industries
7:30 pm Smithbilt Knoxville News Sentinel
9:00 pm Rice Buick GMC Tillman Companies

Wed, Jun 28
6:00 pm Knoxville News Sentinel Tillman Companies
7:30 pm Garza Law Firm Rice Buick GMC
9:00 pm Smithbilt DeRoyal Industries

Mon, Jul 3
6:00 pm #3 v #4
7:30 pm #1 v #2

KNS:
Jalen Steele LMU
Dre Mathieu Minnesota
Kyle Alexander Tennessee
Dorian Pinson LMU
Emmanuel Terry LMU
Josh Odom LMU
Emier Bowman Maryville College
Derick Pope King University
Jacob Fleschman Tennessee
Danny Bates Tennessee Wesleyan
Lew Evans Tennessee

DeRoyal:
Jordan Bowden Tennessee
Jalen Johnson Tennessee

Quincy Scates Tennessee Wesleyan
Mason Bates Carson Newman
Luke Smith Sewanee
Chris Clayton Carson Newman
Levi Woods Lee University
Ryan Montgomery Lee University
Kellen King Carson Newman
Nathan Hastings Milligan College
Wayne Chism Tennessee

Rice Buick:
Grant Williams Tennessee
Charles Clark Carson Newman
Alex Fountain Houston Baptist
Zach Kent Tennessee
Trevon Shaw LMU
DeShawn Patterson LMU
Brenden Coleman Carson Newman
Mason Fox Tusculum College
Nick Rogers Carson Newman
Milton Stanley Maryville College

Garza Law:
Admiral Schofield Tennessee
Hunter Leveau King University
Will Adams Presbyterian
Leland Robinson Tennessee Wesleyan
Jorden Williams Sewanee
Grant Teichmann Freed-Haldeman
Cameron Andre Carson Newman
Brody Stone Sewanee
Lucas Campbell Tennessee
Hunter Reynolds Maryville College
Jalen Riley ETSU

Smithbilt Homes:
Jordan Bone Tennessee
Desonta Bradford ETSU
Kanayo Obi-Rapu ETSU
Fred Sturdivant Texas Southern
Trey Suttles Tennessee Wesleyan
Jonathan Adams Old Dominion
Parker Role' Carson Newman
Jordan Hall Tennessee Wesleyan
Brad Woodson Tennessee
Easton Upchurch Christian Brothers

Tillman Companies:
Chris Darrington Tennessee
Derrick Walker Tennessee

Rashawn Rembert ETSU
Lester Wilson ETSU
Brandon Cole Bryan College
Michael Blue Hiwassee
Stephen Butts Berea College
Spencer Shoffner Maryville College
Tristan Upchurch Trine University
Bobby Maze Tennessee

Last edited:
Trayvon Shaw LMU been tearing it up I see. Terry scoring a bunch too. I watched a few of the Splitters scrimmage in Harrogate yesterday. Got to speak with Coach Schertz.

More Rocky Top League numbers:
@Bwoodson_12: 17 points
@KyleJamal4: 12
@JordanBone23: 8

*******************************/114/Cont…

VN Store

Back